Profile for Mr. M. S. Shah > Reviews

The Refinement of Souls
The Refinement of Souls
by Imam Ibn 'Ata Allah al-Sakandari

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic translation!, 17 Jun 2014
mashaAllah this is such a great translation. It has the same feel as TJ Winters' translation of Imam Ghazli's Remembrance of Death. The reading flows and the subsections makes it easy to read in small chunks. Its a powerful book that hits you time and again and makes you see your slavehood to your creator in a different way. Reminds you of how great God is and how ungrateful some of us are in relation to that.

I bought 10 more copies to give to family and friends. Highly recommend. :)

ZEBRA Rubber 101 Flexi-Grip Black Retractable Ball Point Pens [Pack 10]
ZEBRA Rubber 101 Flexi-Grip Black Retractable Ball Point Pens [Pack 10]
Offered by OMGHOWCHEAP LTD
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product. Will be making repeat orders :), 1 May 2014
Really pleased with product. Used to buy a pen&mate pen for 3 each, for almost same price, I got 10, and I feel my handwriting is better with the zebra pen as tip is finer. Will be ordering more.

How to Perform Hajj and Umrah According to the Four Sunni Schools of Law
How to Perform Hajj and Umrah According to the Four Sunni Schools of Law
by Nur al-Din

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Easy to Read, 30 Mar 2014
This work is a translation of a text by Shaykh Nūr al-Dīn 'Itr and you get two books with the pack; The first should be ideally read before you arrive in Saudi Arabia and the second is a small pocket guide with sunnah duas whilst on Hajj/Umrah.

Before I went on Hajj, alhumdulillah, a few years ago, I had made an effort to read as much as I could and bought several books. This book has a "classical" reading style and very easy to go through. The kind of feeling you get when you're reading an Imam Ghazali's translation. It has a lot more detail than the others I have read but this actually makes it easier to read.

Having reads parts of it for preparation for Umrah iA this Ramadhan, I wish I had bought this copy before and highly recommend.

Hajj and Umrah Pack
Hajj and Umrah Pack
by Shaykh Nūr al-Dīn 'Itr

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read and very Comprehensive, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hajj and Umrah Pack (Paperback)

Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
by Joel Fuhrman
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Education not Medication., 19 July 2013
I'm a medical doctor and currently training to be a GP after having doing a couple years of Emergency Medicine. I spotted this book in Waterstones, it looked interesting so ordered it on my amazon app. The book is easy to read and the more you get into the book the harder it is to put down. I agree with Dr Fuhrman, that physicians today are largely the distribution arm of pharmaceutical companies whose goal is to make profit. It may sound cynical but doctors are good at diagnosing illnesses but very bad at health promotion and disease prevention simply because the medical school curriculum has so little focus on health. This is partly because most modern research into diseases is done by big pharmaceutical companies or they provide grants for such research.

Television series has elevated doctors in most people's minds, but when you are diagnosed with a serious illness, you will see how little doctors can really do for patients. Today we are seeing diseases in numbers not seen before even if we account for increasing population and better diagnostic techniques. Just a few months ago - Cancer Research UK stated that colon cancer has increased by 29% in men in the last 35 years. In medschool we were taught that 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with a cancer. MacMillan cancer services, which is charity supporting people diagnosed with cancer, believe that by 2020 - 1 in 2 people will have a diagnosis of cancer.

I often see patients in clinic who get recurrent colds, various other infections or boils and keep being asked, "doctor why do i keep getting these infections?", and often we often don't have a good answer.

In Super Immunity, dr Fuhrman argues that most people concentrate on macro nutrients such as fats, proteins, carbohydrates but many of us are deficient in micronutrients which are vital for health. The processed food we eat, though looks and tastes nice, is not real food as leaves the body starving of good nutrients. Most of what Dr Fuhrman claims is referenced.

Though I haven't used the diet regime given in the back of the book, I have taken much of what was recommend on board.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. Has changed the way I think about medicine and health. Prevent disease and age gracefully by eating raw, organic foods, exercise regularly and rest well. Common sense really.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2014 1:01 PM BST

Remotely Controlled: How television is damaging our lives
Remotely Controlled: How television is damaging our lives
by Aric Sigman
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Liberating, 11 Jan 2010
Definitely a must buy. This book has given me the courage to restrict my T.V. and internet viewing and its been one of the best decisions of my life. The author highlights papers from reputable medical journals about the harms television does to our lives in particular, our brains. Recommend ++++