Profile for babs4u > Reviews

Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 Feb. 2013
I loved this book as it brought back memories of my own childhood and the food I had almost forgotton. Nigel is an entertaining writer both about food and his own period of growing up. There is a bittersweet flavour to the narrative which is woderfully balanced between humour and sadness. I started reading it again soon after I had completed it and it is a book I shall return to periodically. Brilliant!

Good Food: 101 Simple Suppers(BBC Good Food)
Good Food: 101 Simple Suppers(BBC Good Food)
by Good Homes Magazine

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple but uninspiring, 18 Feb. 2013
This is a handy little book especially for the novice or those in a hurry.

However, I found it uninspiring as it contains a lot of pasta dishes and so far I have only bothered to make one recipe.

It's ok but I wouldn't recommend it for the experienced cook who may wish for something more imaginative.

Microsoft Windows Vista in Simple Steps
Microsoft Windows Vista in Simple Steps
by Joli Ballew

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, 18 Feb. 2013
I purchased this book for my husband as he liked it so much when he borrowed it from the local library.

It is easy to follow and very helpful in getting the most out of Vista.

The Nativity Story (Candle Bible for Kids)
The Nativity Story (Candle Bible for Kids)
by Juliet David
Edition: Board book

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 18 Feb. 2013
This book lived up for the most part to the reviews. It is beautifully illustrated and tells the christmas story in a simple way.

The instructions for making the figures are easy to follow even for a beginner. However they were much smaller than I anticipated and are rather fiddly to make. The end result is good but is not for the impatient, in a hurry person!

A lovely quality book.

9ct Gold Diamond Cut Sleeper Earrings- 18mm
9ct Gold Diamond Cut Sleeper Earrings- 18mm
Offered by Assortment Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Sleepers., 22 Jan. 2013
My earrings arrived within two days, well before I expected them on super saver delivery. They are of much better quality than I thought with an attractive design on both sides. They are bigger than I had envisaged but I didn't check the size before ordering. I would order again a smaller size and I think hinged ones would be easier to put in. All in all I am satisfied with the service and quality of the product.

Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
by Richard Rohr

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not live up to expectations, 22 Jan. 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend who thought it may be helpful to me on my own spiritual journey.

Although it was of interest I found it heavy going in places and I did not entirely agree with some of the explanations.An example of this appears on page 135 under the heading Depression and Sadness, where it reads "Many depressed people are people who have never taken any risks, never moved outside their comfort zone, never faced necessary suffering, and so their unconscious knows they have never lived." I think this is a very blanket statement and one I strongly disagree with from my own experience of working with depressed and anxious clients.

However, I find with these type of books that it can be helpful to read a second or third time which I have not been able to do as yet. I think the value depends largely on where the reader is on their own journey and what the reader may be looking for.
It is a thought provoking book and contains a mix of scriture and philosophical quotes. It will not put me off frome reading other books by this author.

Knitivity: Create your Own Christmas Scene
Knitivity: Create your Own Christmas Scene
by Ivy Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and illustrated., 30 Dec. 2012
I love this book and bought it to help my grandchild to understand the christmas message. I also thought it would be a fun project for me during the winter months. I have average knitting skills and the patterns are easy to follow. However the figures are much smaller than I had visualised when I sent for the book. I found them very fiddly to make and can now understand why the author suggested making them over several years! sewing them up is more tedious than the knitting! However if you want a project to test your patience then this is it. The results are good if you are willing to persevere.

Serenity Prayer Bookmark
Serenity Prayer Bookmark
Offered by The Rosaria

3.0 out of 5 stars small gift, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Serenity Prayer Bookmark
This arrived promptly but is much smaller than I had visualised. However it was appreciated by the recipient who keeps it in her car and loves it. small and beautiful.

Karrimor Men's Bodmin Ii Low Weathertite Light Mink Walking Shoe K302LMK152 7.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 30 Dec. 2012
I bought these for a gift as my own Karrimor boots had been admired and I have found them to be the most comfortable boots ever! My husband is a half size and it is not easy to find footwear in these sizes. They arrived promptly and he is delighted with them. They are a perfect fit and comfortable to wear. I shall order again when I need a replacement and have no hesitation in recommending this company and these boots.

Held by the Watchtower: Set Free by Christ
Held by the Watchtower: Set Free by Christ
by Susan Thorne

3.0 out of 5 stars A personal insight into the Jehovah's Witnesses, 23 Oct. 2012
I bought this book second hand and it was in good condition.

It was recommended to me as I also left the watchtower organistaion after many years.

Much of the authors experiences I could relate to but I found it disturbing that she so quickly entered another church and seems bent on 'helping' Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority don't want help and many of those who leave or would like to leave are reluctant to get into another religous organisation. It seems she is still seeking to convert others much as she did when a witness.

Her personal life and sincerity comes across and it is an honest account of her experience and what she now believes. It is a readable account of one families' short time in this organisation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3