Profile for Sandra Davies > Reviews

Money Tree
Money Tree
by Gordon Ferris

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: Money Tree (Paperback)
Yes, this truly was amazing. I've enjoyed every other book Gordon Ferris has written and having bought this was a bit sorry to see it didn't contain McCrae or Brodie.
But, as ever, the writing hooked me less than halfway down the first page and the story right until the last. Anila, Ted Saddler and Erin Wishart each brand new, atypical individuals, the research lightly handled, the interest of the information high grade. Superb.

Blue Rondo (Inspector Troy)
Blue Rondo (Inspector Troy)
by John Lawton

5.0 out of 5 stars Lawton knows how to seduce his readers, 26 Nov 2014
Had this not been called 'Blue Rondo' I might not have picked it off the shelf - 'Flesh Wounds' far too much like the title of a book any of a dozen others could have written.
Which is a shame because John Lawton is a writer like no other (and I ashamed that I've not heard of him until now) In fact he writes with a casual confidence that says he knows exactly how to seduce his readers, and strongly mirrors the character of Freddie Troy.
Sense of place and of time are convincing, and now I feel I need to seek out earlier books in the series (this is book 5).
Thoroughly entertaining.

Fair Helen
Fair Helen
by Andrew Greig

5.0 out of 5 stars Characters as alive as today, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: Fair Helen (Paperback)
Without doubt one of the best books I've read this year. As Andrew Greig has to be one of the finest poetic novelists I've ever read.
Set in Scotland's 1590's but with characters as alive as today and with so many, many phrases that made me catch my breath at the sheer joy of them.
There is tension and drama and love and language - wonderful indeed. A book to be re-read soon.

And fans of Dorothy Dunnett or Emma Darwin should certainly see this one out, as a starting point.

Where the Dead Men Go (Conway Trilogy 2)
Where the Dead Men Go (Conway Trilogy 2)
by Liam McIlvanney

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly entertaining, 5 Nov 2014
There is a surprising amount of description, of scene setting in Liam McIlvanney's novels but so beautifully done that, when noticed, I sigh with envy at his observation and ability to convey such to the reader. Taut, tight-plotted right to the very end and thoroughly entertaining.

The Fall
The Fall
by Claire McGowan

3.0 out of 5 stars Plotting is more than competent, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Fall (Paperback)
To me this read as a blend of chick-lit and cosy thriller, and Claire McGowan herself says she was surprised to find it allocated to the crime shelves as she'd written it more to explore the relationship between two very different young women, and it is the 'young' wherein lay my generation-gap problem, because I so easily tire of descriptions of clothes.
But yes there is tension as to whether or not Dan will receive the justice he deserves, and the plotting is more than competent, but 'chilling' it was not.

Duffy (Duffy 1)
Duffy (Duffy 1)
by Dan Kavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Will seek more., 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Duffy (Duffy 1) (Paperback)
Another book which ranked high in the entertainment stakes. And high in the quality of writing and the uniqueness of Duffy. Will seek more.

Honour Thy Father
Honour Thy Father
by Lesley Glaister

4.0 out of 5 stars Contradictory claustrophobia, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Honour Thy Father (Paperback)
I wish I'd finished reading this nearer to midday than bedtime because it contains things that have haunted me forever. In some way I am finding myself scared as if I were nine, eleven, thirteen.
Not for the first time I feel the writing certainly merits four stars but it is hard to say I 'really liked' a book that was so uncomfortable on so many levels.
The contradictory claustrophobia of Fen living permeates the lives of these four sisters, yet their ignorance is somehow not total, despite their father's attempts to make it so. Underlying all is the strength of doing what comes naturally.

Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson)
Red Ribbons (Dr Kate Pearson)
by Louise Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Triple strands, 21 Oct 2014
This was a triple-strand novel where each strand, unlike the plaits that feature predominantly, are clearly marked in different type, a little unnecessarily I think since each voice is well enough defined for it to be quite quickly obvious who is who, especially with the chapter headings also indicating where the action is.
Place is also very well-evoked

A Killing of Angels (Alice Quentin)
A Killing of Angels (Alice Quentin)
by Kate Rhodes

4.0 out of 5 stars A little thinly-drawn, 21 Oct 2014
Many many place-setting details of London and Alice Quentin herself remained at the heart of this novel, the writing good and the misdirection and who done it well-hidden, but for me Alice's character was a little too thinly-drawn for her over-many lurches into blind stupidity too be credible, as were those of Taylor - too one-dimensionally black - and Don Burns, who I'd've liked to know more about.

Blue Rondo
Blue Rondo
by John Lawton

5.0 out of 5 stars Seductive writing, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Blue Rondo (Paperback)
Thoroughly entertaining.