Profile for by_tor > Reviews

Doctor Who: The Vault
by Marcus Hearn
Price: 20.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 50th Anniversary souvenir., 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Vault (Hardcover)
I received this as a present and as a fan of the show from my childhood when Tom Baker was "my" doctor, this was a great, nostalgia inducing tribute to the whole 50 years of the programme.

It is difficult after all this time to find a new way to look at Doctor Who, but the author has done a good job. Although basically a chronological look at the show (each year the programme was on the air has a separate chapter), within each chapter are short essays on various topics, such as the controversial use of horror in the stories, or the explosion of merchandise related to the show, and these pull together information from all eras of the programme. This theme based approach works well, and makes dipping in and out of the book a joy.

The production values of the book are very high, from the "squidgy" hard cover (lovely feel!), to the front and end papers reproducing the original studio floor plans from An Unearthly Child, to the large number of detailed photographs of often rare props, costumes documents and other paraphernalia. This brought back lots of memories for me of my childhood, ("I remember that issue of Doctor Who magazine" "I had that old annual") as well as showing many interesting items from earlier days, right back to the inception of the show.

Small criticisms of the book are that the coverage of the "wilderness years" when the programme was off the air is a little brief, and it certainly steers clear of any of the behind the scenes controversies that are fairly well known, and perhaps is a little too reverential towards the modern era (2005 onward) of the show, but overall is a lovely book for any fan interested in the history of the show.

Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Vapor Trails (Remixed)
Price: 6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Vapor Trails (Remixed) (Audio CD)
Almost like a new album. The original release was mastered so "hot" that it was almost unlistenable. This new remix lets the songs breathe and reveals what a great collection of tracks was lurking under the sonic mud all the time. Essential for every Rush fan, and any lover of good rock music.

Dredd [DVD]
Dredd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karl Urban
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adaptation, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dredd [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant version of classic comic character. Keeps to the spirit and style of the source material. Ultra violent but with a streak of black humour running all the way through. Great performances from the leads.

PowerGen 5200mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger 1A output for Apple iPhone 4s 4 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch, iPad 2 / HTC sensation, XE, XL, One X, Thunderbolt, Inspire 4G , EVO 3D 4G, Desire S Z HD / Samsung Galaxy S2 S 2 II ACE Mini, S Advance, Galaxy Nexus/ Nokia N9 N8 N900 N800 Lumia 800 900 710 610 / Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Arc, Arc S, Play, Neo pro, X8, Ray / Blackberry Bold Curve Torch 8520 9900 9300 9360 / NDS
Offered by E-TRADING24 LTD
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me (? faulty) (update: replacement works), 4 Jun 2012
[UPDATE] - The original item I received unfortunately didn't work. However I must commend the vendor eTrading-24 on their after sales service. After I posted my original review (below) they made a comment on it saying the item was probably faulty and giving instructions to contact them by email. After I did this, they immediately dispatched a replacement, which I am pleased to say works correctly. They didn't make me send the faulty item back first before sending the replacement which I think is pretty good service.

The charger itself is pretty good and works as described. The only quibble which stops me giving 5 stars is that it doesn't seem to contain as much charge as you might expect from the advertised 5200mAh. My Galaxy S2 phone battery is 1650mAh so the external battery should manage 3 full charges. However, as others have also commented it probably is about 2 and a bit, so more like 3000-3500mAh but otherwise it is fine.
[end of update]

After reading the majority positive reviews I purchased this to charge my Samsung Galaxy S2. It certainly looks the part, not cheap feeling, although the usual poorly translated and brief instructions were a bit of a disappointment.

However my main problem is I can't get it to work. It came partly charged, but when I plugged it into my Galaxy S2 after about 10 seconds I get a message "Voltage too high" and the phone beeps and it stops charging. I read loads of forum posts and it seems that sometimes other people have encountered this type of error message in other circumstances (not using an external battery) and I tried all the usual suggestions including a full factory reset after backup but too no avail.

Also I can't even seem to charge the battery pack properly. What are the lights supposed to show when it is charging correctly? A steady light, or a blinking one, or a constant "up and down" pattern across the 4 lights? I tried various ways of connecting, using the USB from laptop, the phones own wall charger > USB, and the supplied small white cube adaptor plugged into a US style socket in a travel adaptor. I even have a travel adaptor that has USB sockets outputting 5V 1A but it doesn't seem to be able to charge correctly from this either as it seems to be drawing too much current and the adaptor cuts out.

I will try a few other combinations but I think it's going to have to be returned. Since most of the other reviews (including other Galaxy S2 owners) seem to be positive here, I am assuming I have a faulty unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2012 12:06 PM BST

Proper Job
Proper Job
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Love amid the ice cream wars, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Proper Job (Kindle Edition)
The bright and chirpy cover sets the tone of this fun and frothy comedy, a departure from the author's previous time travelling SF thrillers (Deja Vu and Flashback, both excellent reads). It tells the tale of Andy, a hapless teenager in Cornwall marking time between high school and going to university in the job from hell as a temporary ice cream salesman in the busiest time Cornwall has seen for ages. The only sweetener is reacquainting himself with Penelope, the dorky girl from physics club, who just happens to have grown up to be a hottie who also happens to be a member of the ice cream dynasty...

The pace fairly rattles along from one crazy situation to another, and I have to admit I literally LOLd many times, and what more could you ask from a comedy?

Valhalla Dancehall
Valhalla Dancehall
Price: 10.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Valhalla Dancehall (Audio CD)
Another great album from British Sea Power. Slightly different from previous but not straying too far to alienate long term fans. The opener Who's In Control seems somewhat prescient in view of the various protests both locally (students) and more globally recently. There is the usual mix of more up tempo rocky songs, and more thoughtful soundscape types (mostly from Hamilton). Fans will love it and will gain some new devotees.