Profile for Pattepoilue > Reviews

My Favorite Countess
by Vanessa Kelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start great ending, 3 July 2011
(this review was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

My Favorite Countess was a difficult book to review for me. When I started re-reading the notes I took while reading the book, I started wondering if I was dealing with 2 different books. The first half of my notes were mostly rants about how I hated the Hero and the Heroine, the second half of my notes were about how amazing they were and how I loved the story. LOL see what I mean? Alright, let's start from the beginning...

When we meet Bathsheba she is in a dire situation. She has responsibilities towards her family and their estate and she is under a lot of stress. She would do anything, that is...go to London and find a rich husband to pay their debts. Bathsheba is a widow and getting married again was NOT in her plans. She didn't want to suffer again at the hands of a husband.

The thing is when we meet Bathsheba it's really really hard to like her, she's viper-tongued and she can be very nasty when she wants to. I felt bad for all the other characters when she was around. She's mean and it's hard to see past that, but her flaws make her human in the end. Then there's the hero, Doctor John Blackmore, seriously at the beginning of the book I really disliked him too... but for different reasons. John seemed so full of himself, he's sure he's always right. He thinks he can see through her from the start. And he's certain he's going to bed her. The result is that I wanted to slap them both silly. They are both so stubborn and they cling to their beliefs. So the first few chapters I just disliked, then hated the 2 main characters.

BUT, I'm not sure how but at some point everything changes. By chapter 7, I started loving them! I've never read a book where the author made me change my mind so drastically about 2 characters. I went from hate to love in just a few chapters. John is a doctor and it was a nice change from the usual aristocratic hero. John is a working man, he's a doctor who deals with midwifery. When you start learning about him and his beliefs, you can't help but love him. He is a humanist, he believes every woman rich or poor should be able to get the best treatment when delivering a baby. He wants change and he wants to do everything he can to help pregnant women.

At some point I started liking Bathsheba, we learn more about her past and the trauma she suffered from her previous marriage. Her late husband was very jealous and thought she was cheating on him. He made her look like a whore in the eyes of everyone else. His family hates her because they think she's responsible for his death. Anyway, I can't say much more but the story gets very interesting. There's intrigue, mystery and lots of suspense. I had a hard time closing the book. I didn't see the end coming and the cute HEA at the end made this book a very pleasant read.

Now I must address the smex topic...this is something I found a bit weird in the book. When I read it, it struck me as odd how the smexing scenes were written differently from the rest of the book. I mean the book flows pretty easily, then when you get to a love scene the writing gets very flowery. It's hard to miss. But apart from that I have to say I really enjoyed the love scenes between those 2. John knows how to 'play doctor' and he knows exactly what he's doing in bed. John was very very sexy and intense. I also loved that Bathsheba is not afraid of loving smex. There is chemistry between them and it was always hot hot hot!

So as you can see, this book started a bit rocky for me but by the end I just couldn't stop reading. This is a great story, with lots of twist and turns and enough suspense to surprise you in the end. I'm glad I kept reading even when I hated the h/h, it's definitely worth the wait to get to the good parts!

Collision Course
Collision Course
Price: 1.46

4.0 out of 5 stars A good sci-fi romance, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Collision Course (Kindle Edition)
(this review was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Collision Course is a Sci-fi Romance just like I love them. I've read a few books by Zoe Archer and I really enjoyed her writing style, so when I learned about Collision Course I was ecstatic! This author delivers once again.

Mara is a very independent woman. She is a scavenger and for her 'home' is her very own spaceship. She is very proud of her achievements and she's not really happy when she is told she has to help Commander Kell Frayne to find a stolen ship and it's pilot. Mara doesn't have much choices, she's being blackmailed, she has to agree to help or they'll make her life hell (understatement of the year).

Kell is a commander with the 8th Wing, he would do anything to save both the ship and the pilot from getting into the hands of the enemy. His colleague has been kidnapped and he's pretty sure her kidnappers will try to sell her and the ship to their enemy, the Praxis alliance. Right now all they know is that the ship and pilot will be auctioned to the highest bidder. Mara is the only one who can get them through the Smoke Quadrant, a dangerous place scavengers call home and it's the place to go to learn more about this stolen ship.

Kell and Mara are forced to work together, well they even are forced to live together in Mara's small ship. The chemistry between those two is sizzling from the start. They are so different, he's 'the law', she's a scavenger. I really enjoyed seeing Mara tempt him and flirt with him. They try to resist the temptation but they are attracted to each other.The first night they spend in the ship was funny, sexy and frustrating, so you can imagine that I loved it. Kell is very sexy and intense. Some scenes were very very hot, I have in mind a scene after a tough landing. NOM nom nom. I really enjoyed seeing those 2 stubborn people work it out. This book is filled with humor and sarcasm, and I just love that.

We slowly learn more about them and how they came to be who they are today. Both of them suffered in the past and they start seeing themselves in the each others. The story is well paced and interesting from start to end. There's a lot of action too. The sci-fi aspect never was too overwhelming (what I'm always afraid of when I start a Sci-fi book).

Collision Course is a fast read, full of action, humor and very steamy scenes. I know I'm often picky with endings but I was happy with the way it ended. It's altogether a very satisfying book.

I give Collision Course 4 Bookies

The Wedding of the Century: & Other Stories
The Wedding of the Century: & Other Stories
by Mary Jo Putney

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid HEA Anthology, 3 July 2011

The Wedding of the Century by MARY JO PUTNEY
This is the first time I read something by Mary Jo Putney and I'm glad to say it won't be the last. I really like her writing style. We meet Sarah, an American young lady, at a party in England, she's young, beautiful and loved by everyone. Justin is the Duke's brother, he's in the shadow, he's the one running the estate while his brother parade away. When he meet Sarah he's attracted to her, but she has only eyes for another man.

A few years later, Justin finds himself in his brother's shoes. He needs a lot of money and he must marry an heiress. His first thought goes to the pretty Sarah he was so attracted to. Here comes the wedding of the century between a Lord and an American heiress. Sarah's aunt told her not to enjoy her marital duties, she told her she should 'lie and not move until his husband is done'...so that's exactly what Sarah does. For month, it's really a marriage of convenience, both doing their duty without enjoying one minute of it. It was painful to read about, Sarah doesn't want her husband to think she's wanton and Justin doesn't know why she reacts this way every time he touches her. It's killing them both from the inside, they both want each other. I loved how Justin and Sarah slowly discovered each other. They both wanted more from their relationship but both didn't know how to show it. The lack of communication was killing me, but I got what I wanted in the end. ;)

I didn't know what to expect of this novella and I was pleasantly surprised. It was fun and refreshing to see the Wedding of the Century taking place. The author's writing was perfect to make us realize how fasts the events happened for our couple, while reading it's like you're thrown in there, too. And Justin's reaction to the American press harassing him was really hilarious, a clash of cultures between England and America that's for sure. ;) It's a fast and engaging novella that will make you want to talk things out with your loved ones.
4 stars

Jesse's Wife by KRISTIN JAMES
Amy is young and naive and doesn't realize that she's in danger of being ruined. Lucky for her Jesse, a young man who's been working in her father's ranch for years saved her, but servants saw him with a half naked Amy. It's too late to save her reputation. Amy's parents want her to marry to avoid a scandal. Jesse has been in love with Amy for years but he knows she deserves better than him. Still he asks her to marry him so that she doesn't have to be forced to marry to someone else. He even agrees never to touch her if she agrees.
Jesse and Amy's life together is a sweet story.
Both young and innocent, at first they lack the knowledge to make their marriage work. Amy hasn't been prepared for this life, she doesn't know how to take care of a household, which leads to very funny moments. They have to live in a small place and intimacy is rather difficult to get. I really loved Jesse, he's sweet and so nice. He'd do anything for her, even if it means never being able to touch his wife. He's a real everyday hero to me. I liked that Amy found herself and started being proactive on her situation. She really grew up to become a woman, a wife. It was a really cute story. 3.5 stars.

Seduced by Starlight by CHARLOTTE FEATHERSTONE
This story is the reason why I requested this book. I'm a bit fan of Charlotte Freatherstone and I couldn't wait to read this story! It features the son and daughter of the heroes from Addicted and Sinful. *squeee* So of course we see all our favorite characters again, 25 years after their HEA *squeee*.

Jase is in love with his brother's fiancée. Something he can't bear, so he's fled to the other side of the country to avoid seeing them. He can't very well be seen lusting about his future sister-in-law, can he? Blossom is an artist just like her father. She loves to paint and wouldn't stop for anything in the world. She's been engaged to her childhood friend thinking it was the most natural step in their relationship. But when he tells her he met someone else he wants to marry, she understands. As you can imagine when Jase hears that the engagement is broken all he's thinking about is having Blossom for himself. I loved the chase. I love how he tried to prove her they are made for each other.
This story fits in the theme of the anthology because Blossom thinks Jase wants to marry her because he feels obligated to right his brother's wrong. She thinks he wants a marriage of convenience. Oh, how I loved this story. it was hot, cute, passionate, and oh so romantic. This was my favorite story in the anthology.
4.5 stars!

Final thoughts: This is a very good anthology about marriage of convenience and how love can creep on you when you don't expect it. I loved that it was often about the lack of communication between the leading characters and the prejudices people can have on married life. I can only recommend it to all the HEA lovers. If you need a dose of love this one is for you.

I give The Wedding of the Century 4 Bookies

Kisri: ...and the Beast
Kisri: ...and the Beast
Price: 1.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Steamy fairy tale, 3 July 2011
(This review was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Kisri is the 2nd short story in the ...And the Beast series (I love the name of that series by the way). I knew before opening this book that I would be in for a treat. I've yet to come across a Moira Rogers book I didn't enjoy (I know, I'm rambling to when it comes to their books *wink*). On a totally shallow note, I'm fascinated by this cover. It's just so pretty and sensual *happy sigh*

Kisri is the High-Lord's cousin. She's a beautiful woman and she has quite a big dowry, which means that most men want her for her fortune. They don't really care that she's an intelligent and independent (and strong) woman. She's been trying to escape these men for years but now she finds herself in need of protection. Kisri decides to ask her cousin, Malrion, for protection but on her way to him she meets Malrion's first warrior Ennon.

I really enjoyed seeing Kisri and Ennon together. What starts as a simple experiment quickly evolves into something deeper and meaningful. I loved that Kisri thinks he's strong enough to deserve her. Her sexual education was very hot. I think it's the main highlight of the book, the smex scenes are hot and erotic (ain't that the goal? *wink*) and leave you satiated with a big smile on your face.

This very cute and sensual fairy tale is easy to read. It's a treat you can gobble up when you're feeling a bit down . I can't recommend this series enough, seriously you won't regret it. Short, sweet, hot, it's everything you need in 60 pages.

I give Kisri 4 1/2 Bookies

Breathless (Mills & Boon Historical)
Breathless (Mills & Boon Historical)
by Anne Stuart

4.0 out of 5 stars A hero you'll want to kill/kiss, 3 July 2011
(this review was originally posted on Secret HEA Society)

Breathless is the 3rd book in the House of Rohan series. I loved the first 2 books and I was a bit scared to read this one. Anne Stuart has been known for her abrupt endings and I knew this one didn't have an epilogue. This is why it took me months before I dared read it. How wrong I was! This book was amazing. It made me go all 'O_o' quite a few times but in the end it was just a fantastic read.

Lucien is the most wicked, the most ruthless hero I've ever read about. In comparison the heroes of the first 2 books were very very tamed. He's soooooo wicked. Lucien wants revenge for his sister's death. He wants to make the Rohan family suffer really bad. So in order to get this revenge, Lucien had Miranda kidnapped and ruined. He paid someone to do this and marry her but she escaped and her family protected her. Now a few years later she's happy to live outside society. But she feels lonely, she's been shunned by the rest of the world. This is not enough for Lucien, he wants to make her and her family suffer all their life. He bids is time, you know the saying 'revenge is better served cold', well this hero believes in it. He plans on winning her trust and then seduce her.

I think what really surprised me is that I thought Lucien would reform. He would soften with time, but he's one wicked son of a b*tch. Don't get me wrong, I loved this character but he's very evil. The whole book kept me on edge. Miranda is a fantastic character, she's strong and she is very courageous. I loved that nothing would keep her down, she tries to see the positive side of everything. When Lucien brings her to his gloomy ruin of an estate he thinks he'll kill her spirit (seriously that's his goal for the whole book! if that's not ruthless what is!). How wrong he was! It was hilarious to see Miranda remodel the house to her liking.

What had me in hysterics was that their fight for power never cease. The ending of the book was really abrupt and it was very bittersweet. More bitter than sweet though. I'm seriously hoping we'll see what happened to them next in the new book in the series (Shameless).

As in all the books in the series there is a secondary romance. I loved seeing Jacob Donnelly and Jane Pagett fall in love. He is London's most notorious thief and she is the heroine's best friend. I LOVED this romance. I was so eager to see what would happen to them. Their chapters were so good I couldn't stop reading. They meet by accident, she surprise him while he's stealing something and it's passion at first glance. She doesn't know who this wicked man is, it was too dark when they met. So when they meet again, she doesn't recognize him. Oh how I LOVED those 2! It was sweet and hot and I was rooting for them from the start. I loved everything about this story. Very satisfying. I even wish we'd seen more of their story.

Breathless is the best book in the series in my opinion. It had me raging and shouting at the book. I loved to hate the hero. Even a month after reading it I'm feeling strongly about it. Anne Stuart did her magic again and gave us a book you cannot easily forget.

I give Breathless 4,5 Stars

With a Devil of an ending!

Shameless (House of Rohan)
Shameless (House of Rohan)
by Anne Stuart

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful addition to the Rohan series, 3 July 2011
(this review was originally posted on Secret HEA Society)

Shameless is the 4th book in the House of Rohan series. I am a big fan of this series and I just couldn't wait to read this last installment. It was on my Auto-read list, it was such a sure thing in my mind that I would read it that I didn't read the book synopsis. So when I started the book, I didn't really connect the dots. You see, the first 3 books followed the House of Rohan on 3 generations. So I was expecting Shameless to be about the kids of the previous heroes. Ah! Of course I should have read the synopsis! Shameless is set about 5 or 10 years (I can't remember the exact number!) after the end of Breathless and is about Miranda's (Heroine of Breathless, you still following?) oldest brother.

What a good surprise! When I finally realized who it was about and how it was situated , it all clicked together and I'm pretty sure I squealed. *wink* . Benedick, the hero was married during the set of Breathless and for some reason I didn't think he would get his story. I thought him safe in a somewhat good marriage. I also saw him as a stuffy lord. Oh what a delight it was to realize he was actually quite wicked and such a cynic person.So what? Yes I love my heroes wicked, evil and dangerous, and Anne Stuart delivers! Each time! All the heroes of this series are wicked in their own way, they are all very different but each very delicious.

Benedick is a cynic but he has his reasons. He's been married twice and both wives died in childbirth leaving him without an heir. So he decided to find a wife to get that heir and a spare. He just wants a brooding mare, someone he can just forget all about outside the bedroom. As you can imagine, it won't work that way ;).

Melisande is not your typical lady. For once she lives with more than 20 former prostitutes! She's the widow of a wealthy elderly lord. Now with her money she tries to reform prostitutes and help them find a real respectable job. As you can imagine she's not really someone who would be invited to balls and party by Society. I found Melisande very likable, she's a good woman and she really wants to help save these girls. I found her devotion to her 'gaggle' very endearing.She might have been married but Melisande is still a near-virgin when it comes to the pleasures of sex. It was cute to see such an innocent woman leaving with women who enjoyed having sex so much and it made me laugh a few times.

When Melisande hears that the secrete society called the Heavenly Hosts has been revived and that now they started becoming very violent with prostitutes/young women she decides to act. Melisande knows Benedick's brother, Brandon, is a member of this secret society so she decides to warn Benedick about it and asks for his help. I really enjoyed seeing them together, they have such a chemistry! *swoon* They don't plan to get involved with each other but it's like it's out of their hands. The more they fight it, the harder it is. God, I loved Benedick, he's such a jerk! He has a vicious tongue, very cutting. The smex scenes are hot and very well written. Benedick is confident in his skills and I just love that in my heroes *g*.

If you read Breathless, you'll remember Brandon, the youngest Rohan. He was so young and cute and innocent. Really brave too. The man we meet in Shameless is just a shadow of his old self. Brandon has been to war and he's come back wounded both physically and in spirits. He gave up on life and he's become reckless. We get glimpses of him and what happened when he came back from war. Now, I have to tell you I'm REALLY hoping he's getting his book because if not I'll be pissed. Why? Because we get glimpses of his story and a possible romance and I couldn't believe it ended this way. Anyway, I can't say more but I am crossing all my fingers and toes we'll get his book. (I've spent 2 hours on the web searching for any indication there would be one but *sob* I couldn't find any info about it *sob*)

I LOVED that we got to see quite a lot of the HEA of Miranda and Lucien (Heroes from Breathless, yes I also do Cliffnotes as you can see *wink*). I remember raging at the ending of Breathless because it didn't have an epilogue. *squeeeeeeeeee* We get it in Shameless. Seriously I was grinning the whole time we got to see Lucien and Miranda. And we see them from Benedick's POV, which is pretty hilarious since he HATES his brother-in-law so much. I loved seeing their life through his eyes. I can't thank Anne Stuart enough for indulging us like that. *g*

I was ecstatic when I finished Shameless! It has an epilogue!!! *squeee* And a very good one. It's not cheesy I promise, because I'm not sure Anne Stuart can do cheesy. But it left me smiling and feeling very good. <3

Shameless is a wonderful book, it really does justice to this series. You want to root for the characters and it's hard to stop reading once you started. It keeps you enthralled and always wanting more while giving you some closure about the story (and about the previous book). I still feel pretty emotional about this book. It sure left his mark in my mind and in my heart (see? I can be cheesy!)

ps: I'm sorry about it being such a long review. And THIS is the short version ;)

I give Shameless 4 1/2 Stars.

With a Shiny HEA, full of hopes and happiness

Pale Demon (Hollows)
Pale Demon (Hollows)
by Kim Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Pale Demon (Hollows) (Hardcover)
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

WARNING: This is as usual a spoiler-free review for the book. But I make references to previous books in the series, which could be spoilery if you haven't read them. As usual, I try to be as vague as possible. (I hope it still makes sense lol)

Pale Demon is the 9th book in the Hollows series. This series is very close to my heart. I've loved all the books, even the ones which made me cry like a freaking baby (seriously). Pale Demon is now my favorite in this series, it's fantastic and so good I wish I could marry it. (ok ok, I admit... I wish I could marry Trent). If I'd written this review as soon as I'd finished reading Pale Demon, it would probably had started like that: *squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

So now that I've had time to think upon the book and calm down, here's my review:

*squuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

All the things I love about this series can be found in Pale Demon...but there's also so much more! I devoured the book. It really was impossible to put down. Kim Harrison gave a new breath to this series by opening new roads (lots) and ending a few ongoing side-plots (that had been really dragging on for too long) .

It's no breaking news that I love Trent (hey I even named my E-reader after him). Anyway, Pale Demon gave us a whole new side of Trent. I think I love him even more now, can you believe it? He is a jerk all right, we all know he's ruthless and he even tortured Rachel in the earlier books. He keeps telling her, he'll kill her sooner or later, and still I love him. (I really have a thing for jerks it seems).

The story is very different from the other books in the series, it FEELS different. Well first, it's a roadtrip story, it's a welcomed change of scenery . Can you imagine Trent and Rachel in the same car for days? Ah! Yes obviously it doesn't go smoothly. Pale Demon is action-packed, so many things happen, there's not one boring moment. All my favorite characters are here and most of all AL! Yes AL the demon.

So, okay AL is a demon and he's very violent and tried to kill Rachel so many times I stopped counting, but I really like him. He's fun and complex and a little weird. We learn a lot about him and I can't wait to know what happen next. I was sooooo happy that we get to see a lot more of him and the Ever-After (demon world) . This is the second reason why I loved this book: Kim Harrison gave us a whole new vision of the Ever-After and demons in general. I won't say more because I don't want spoil anything but it ROCKS! I love the demons and I'm thrilled that they appeared in this book.

There were some...weird scenes (I don't know how else to call them) where you could feel that the author was trying to break ties to the past and opening new roads for her characters. I didn't like it much, but at least we know the story will go forward from now on. (or at least I hope so). I haven't always loved Rachel, mostly because she made some serious bad decisions in the past (I wanted to slap her silly SO often in the previous books). Well, she's still making bad decisions but you feel that she's grown up a bit and she's more open-minded than before, I really like her in this book.

I won't say who, but someone gets their HEA in this book. I couldn't be more happy about that. I finished reading the book with a huge smile on my face and I had to go back and re-read some passages that I loved so much. When I said that the book was different from the previous ones, it's also because at the end, everything's possible. It can go one way or another, nothing is set. The ending leaves room for many possibilities and it doesn't feel like a cliffhanger, it feels like a promise. If you are a fan of the series, you will LOVE this book, I promise. If you haven't read this series, I advice you start from book 1, if you start with Pale Demon, I'm not sure you will like it much.

Pale Demon is THE book in the series. It's amazing from start to end. It was worth every minute of my time. I don't think I could possibly love it more. There are so many fantastic secondary characters, you are bound to love at least one. What more can I say? I loved it. I can't wait for the next book. MERCI to Kim Harrison for this amazing book. *fangirl mode off*

I give Pale Demon 5 Bookies (if I could i'd give it even more)

What I Did For a Duke: Pennyroyal Green Series
What I Did For a Duke: Pennyroyal Green Series
by Julie Anne Long
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Adorable and so much more, 5 Mar 2011
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

What I Did for a Duke is the 5th book in the Pennyroyal Green series. I haven't read the previous books, and in fact this is the 1st book I read from this author but it won't be the last. I can't wait to read the previous books. What a funny and moving story. I am already planning on re-reading it as soon as I my print copy arrives. This book will go straight to my Keep-Forever Shelf.

From the very first chapter I knew I would love the hero, Alexander Moncrieffe, Duke of Falconbridge. First he is mysterious and there are a lot of rumors about his past (Killing his wife with poison for example) and he does nothing to contradict them . He is said to be ruthless with those who crossed him. And most of all he gives meaning to the phrase 'Vengeance is better served cold'. All the women want Alexander but they are also all afraid of him too. He has such a charisma..*happy sigh* One of the things I loved about him is that he is 'older'. Alexander is about 40 and he doesn't act like a young rake (I was gonna say 'fool'), he acts like a mature man and let me tell you it makes him even more attractive. I'm not saying he doesn't like gambling or things like that but he's not reckless either. I have a huge crush on him so I'm completely biased. *wink*

Alexander was betrothed to a young lady until he found her in a compromising situation with Ian Eversea. He could have had his revenge on Ian at that time but he decided to do much, much worse. Alex will seduce Ian's innocent sister then abandon her and crush her heart. Well that's his plan. I told you he was ruthless! Ian of course doesn't know what the duke intends to do and is living in fear of his vengeance. Of course nothing goes as planned. Genevieve has been in love with her best friend for years and recent news left her completely crushed. She is in no mood to entertain anyone during the House party her parents are holding, even less the mysterious and dark Duke everyone's talking about. But it's not like she has a choice.

This book is very funny and I giggled and smiled from start to end. It made me feel really good and I loved it. Alexander and Genevieve both have a very funny sense of humor. Their discussions are often hilarious. Oh how I love Genevieve's witty intelligence. She is a quiet one which doesn't mean she's shy. I like how she thinks before talking, she doesn't blurt out what comes through her mind. If she says something, it's for a reason.

The Duke will do his best to seduce Genevieve and all I'll say is that my it melted my heart. I had tears..ahem I mean DUST in my eyes quite a few times. When I started reading it I thought, 'hey it's gonna go this way and big revelation and cries and hurt'...I was wrong! It surprised me completely. It's very original while still playing with a basic formula. I know I'm rambling, but I LOVED it.

What I Did For a Duke was pure pleasure to read. The author gave us intelligent characters with depth and a sense of humor. They never thought they'd fall in love with each other, both had their plans and falling in love was not part of it. I was shouting at my ereader (and at Susi), cheering them to do the right thing...I think at some point I went all 'Come on, kiss her NOW, KISS HER AHHHHH' . Yes this book drove me crazy (crazier? lol) but it was worth every minute. This is a charming book that had me smiling all along. It's definitely of one the Top Historical I've read.

I give What I Did for a Duke 5 Bookies.

Breathe
Breathe
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A Roller-Coaster of Emotions, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Breathe (Kindle Edition)
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Breathe is the first book I've read from this author, and it won't be the last (I do end up saying that a lot these days!). What a roller-coaster of emotions I had in this book. Let's be honest, I cried like a freaking baby at least 3 times in less than 300 pages! I usually just get tears in my eyes, but not this time, I was crying like when I first got dumped (rings a bell? lol). Breathe is such a wonderful book, I fell in love with the 2 heroes. They both need to learn how to go on with their life, and the first step...is to breathe.

When I first read the blurb, I was afraid the guilt and misery part would be too much for me (I'm such a baby lol). So when I started reading I was lulled in a false hope that it wouldn't be that bad, right? It can only get better, right? Right? Ah! Well of course there wouldn't be much story if there weren't a few bumps in the road. My heart was crushed a few times and I couldn't read fast enough to get my reward. The HEA!

Lincoln's life ended the day he accidentally killed a woman. He lost everything that day, job, partner, car, home. He can't forgive himself for what he did and he thinks he deserves to suffer. After spending his time in jail, he's back in town and he wants to help his sister and her kids. He doesn't want much from life, only to help and protect them. He had to abandon his passion and anything he enjoyed. He can never forget, and someone has been sending him threats ever since the accident so that he doesn't forget. How I love Lincoln, he's a freaking hero and doesn't know it. He's such a wonderful man.

Jay's life changed forever the day his wife was killed. He's still mourning her and he doesn't know how to live without her. Jay married his best friend when they were only 19. Now he's a widow at 23. Jay is very different from Lincoln, well for once, he was married to a woman. Being with a man has always been his fantasy. When he meets a seductive stranger in a bar, he would have never imagined it's the same man who killed his wife.

They both went through something horrible and they are both trying to cope in a different way. When they meet they don't know anything about each other. Jay has never been with a man and Lincoln is openly gay. There's a spark from the start. They were both lost and needing sex. It's by chance that they meet. Of course soon enough they realize who the other really is. How can they be together, how could their family accept that Jay is gay and is attracted to the man who killed his wife. My heart was bleeding for them. Their impossible love made it so hard not to cry.

Jay and Lincoln together are very very hot. Oh my! I have to say I'm very picky on the M/M I read (I'm still a shy M/M reader), or more precisely about the M/M smex! There's PLENTY of smexing in this book, and I adored every page of it. *sits on ice* Jay's experiencing sex with a man for the first time, and everything's new for him but he's not a helpless man. Oh boy he knows how to be daring. I loved how he became comfortable with his sexuality and how he started to take the reins back. Love was bleeding from every scene between those two. I either wanted to Awwww, smile or cry.

The intrigue of the book is centered around the threats Lincoln has been receiving, some kind of 'whodunit'. When the threats start being very real for Linc's family they start searching for who's sending them. I was on the edge of my seat from start to end. There are a lot of twists and lots of drama (probably too much for my poor little heart). I also loved Lincoln's family, his sister and the kids were adorable and I loved the scenes with them.

It's a beautiful love story that will make you tear-up (*snort* more like cry like a baby) and smile and wish it would just never end. You can't help but fall in love with Linc and Jay. I can't recommend it enough. I can't wait to read more books by this author.

I give Breathe 5 Bookies

The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers)
The Bitter Seed of Magic (Spellcrackers)
by Suzanne McLeod
Price: 16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanta-bulous story!, 17 Feb 2011
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Warning: This is a spoiler-free review for this book. But I make some references to the previous books which can be a little bit spoilery.

The Bitter Seed of Magic is the 3rd book in the Spellcracker[] series, and it's now my favorite! I couldn't wait to start reading it when I finished the previous book. The story takes place a few months after the end of The Cold Kiss of Death. Genny's life is still very complicated. To sum it up, there is a fertility curse affecting London's Fae. Genny has to be the one breaking it or the magic will die. Also there's a killer murdering Faelings all over London. Genny think those murders are linked to the curse and starts investigating.

The obvious way for Genny to break the curse would be to get pregnant. Ah! but having a baby is not in Genny's plans. Everything gets complicated when she realized that all the Fae in London are waiting in lines to seduce her to be the potential 'daddy' lol. She has to find a way to break the Curse without getting killed in the process. And when the gods decides to enter the game, it all becomes even more deadly.

This book was fantastic. It's even better than the 2nd book. The story has so many twists and turns, it was a 'OMG'-fest in my house. (Suzanne you're still EVIL!) I just didn't see any of these events coming. Suzanne McLeod created a very fascinating and complex world. I didn't want the book to end.

We learn a lot about all our favorite characters. Of course we get to see more of Malik the smexy vampire, Finn the SexGod satyr, and Tavish the wylde fae. Tavish isn't easy to understand, there's a lot to him we don't know yet. This is not an easy book to review because saying more would spoil the story. I love how the author included different myths in her story.

I think one of the most important thing is that Genny is a great character. She is intelligent and has a big heart. She is courageous and very lovable. She's not one of those Too Stupid To Live (TSTL) heroines, she can't even be qualified as a 'kick-ass' heroine. No, Genny shines for a very different reason. I love this character and I want her to get a HEA. She deserves happiness.

Now, here is proof of the author's writing skill. I had a 'favorite' character I wanted Genny to get involved with. While reading the book, I kept changing my mind. I ended up not knowing anymore which one I wanted her to end up with. (because let's be honest I WANT her to end up with one of them *wink*). Suzanne found a way to make them all appealing in one way or another. I can't believe I'll have to wait a year to know what's coming up next. I feel like Genny with 3V (the virus she has), this series is a drug.

Fanta-bulous, that's how i'd summarize this book. The Bitter Seed of Magic is an action-packed adventure filled with twists and turns. Vampires, Fae, Witches and so much more...this books has them all. It keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to end and you can never guess what's going to happen next (or I don't have much imagination lol). I salute Suzanne's fertile imagination and I can only say this: Give this series a try! It's well worth your time, you won't regret it.
5 stars!