ARRAY(0xa6d92fa8)

Profile for HeronsGreen > Reviews

Content by HeronsGreen

HeronsGreen

The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie series)
Price: 2.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Top Gear fans will love this book, I expect....., 7 April 2011
This book starts out as a reasonably satisfactory genre thriller, with West of Scotland 1940's period detail. Then there is a plot twist which the author no doubt thought to be boldly creative. Unfortunately, it breaks the structural form, and almost immediately destroyed any interest that I had in the narrative. What remains is junior teenagers' wish fulfillment -- which I raced through; if nothing else, I've learned that it is perfectly possible to skim-read on a Kindle. The anachronisms and defects in background research begin to stand out, as well. I would feel regretful that I'd spent time on something of rather small underlying merit -- but since I retired, I've decided that mental good health requires no regrets for wasted energy.....

Wittgenstein: A Very Short Introduction
Wittgenstein: A Very Short Introduction

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a wittgensteinian world......, 16 Mar 2011
.... when the most helpful favourable (5 star) and unfavourable (1 star) review both say the same thing about the book; or, at least, about the nature and value of what is specific to the author about what the book tells you about its subject......
The way I would put it, is that Grayling's evaluation of Wittgenstein --- is the kind of stuff that gives academic philosophers (indeed, academics generally) a bad name.
For the 'favourable' reviewer, the book's value overall is redeemed by the fact that the first few chapters give a straightforward and clear account of Wittgenstein's life and, to some extent, work. But in the end, I think that you probably don't really need to buy that -- when Ray Monk's 'How to read Wittgenstein' is available at about the same price. It's not in a Kindle format, but the slim paperback is about the same size and weight as a Kindle; no contest!

The entire works of Robert Burns: with an account of his life, and critici
The entire works of Robert Burns: with an account of his life, and critici

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, 21 Jan 2011
If I'd known how poor the quality of this item was, I wouldn't have downloaded it -- even for nothing!