Profile for Cres Mor > Reviews

Cres Mor

The Ghosts Of Pripyat
The Ghosts Of Pripyat

4.0 out of 5 stars Treading water but love it now, 4 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Ghosts Of Pripyat (Audio CD)
UPDATED REVIEW ... I originally said "Let me start by saying that I really like Steve Rothery; he's played on my second favourite album of all time (Script for a Jester's Tear). There is no doubting his enormous talent; he genuinely makes his guitar sing, and gets beautiful tones where lesser artists struggle. BUT ...I'm sorry to say it but although this album is musically perfect, and Steve and his friends master every carefully scripted note, it's ... well, boring. There's no edge to it at all.
Don't get me wrong, I love some albums without that cutting edge. For example, I love Tangerine Dream's Phaedra! And Bass Communion's Epitaph, but this album isn't trying to be what those albums are. I don't know, it just exists. From the start, I was reminded of some of David Gilmour's solo work; some of the less inspired stuff.
Maybe lyrics would have added to this album, I don't know. I will listen and relisten to this album, but probably late at night, to send me to sleep.
Buy it, yes, but remember what I've said. Jester's Tear really cut through the water; the Ghosts of Pripyat treads water."
However, some nine days on, having listened to the album every night, it's really grown on me and I have changed my view. I love this album now and have consequently re-scored as 4 star; although if I could I'd give it 4 and a half out of five.
Love it.

Spy Kids 3 [DVD]
Spy Kids 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 July 2015
This review is from: Spy Kids 3 [DVD] (DVD)
These films are getting worse but my 8 year old daughter loves them! What can I say?

Spy Kids 2 - The Island Of Lost Dreams [DVD]
Spy Kids 2 - The Island Of Lost Dreams [DVD]
Dvd ~ Antonio Banderas
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sequel., 8 July 2015
My 8 year old daughter loves it. It certainly doesn't tax me, but I guess it's not meant to.
Nice sequel.

Hunter Killer: Danny Black Thriller 2 (Danny Black Series)
Hunter Killer: Danny Black Thriller 2 (Danny Black Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book picks up the action some 6 months after the excellent Masters of War ends, 8 July 2015
Wow! What a read! This book picks up the action some 6 months after the excellent Masters of War ends. This book betters Masters of War and I genuinely couldn't put it down.
I tend to read a lot of books and am a big fan of Vince Flynn, Brad Taylor, Ben Coes, Andy McNab and Boyd Morrison. Masters of War was my first Chris Ryan book and Hunter-Killer is my second. As I write this, I'm finding it hard to remember a book that thrilled me as much. I literally couldn't read fast enough at times, desperate to find out what happened next!
Beware though. Chris Ryan doesn't pull his punches and in Danny Black, we have a ruthless 'hero'.
I'm now about to start Murder Team, which is a Danny Black novella, and can't wait for Hellfire (also known as Fade to Black) in August.
If you like a tough thriller and books by the authors mentioned above, then you will love Chris Ryan's books ... Start with Masters of War and then strap yourself in for Hunter-Killer!

The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath 1)
The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath 1)
by Brad Thor
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Mitch Rapp he's NOT!,, 6 Jun. 2015
If you are a fan of the great books by Vince Flynn (God rest his soul) or Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels, then you'd be forgiven for buying Brad Thor's first Scot Harvath novel, because so many people (including respected critics) have favourably compared this novel to the work of the aforementioned authors.
Oh dear. What can I say about the Lions of Lucerne? I really wanted to like it. I really did, but tonight I decided that enough is enough, and just about half way through the book, I have decided that life's too short to continue reading this poor book.
The President of USA has been kidnapped and our 'hero', who is one dimensional, obnoxious and happy to 'punch people's lights out' without much provocation, is probably going to sort the situation out. Frankly, I no longer care. Scot Harvath is not likeable and it's hard to believe that he's a highly trained Agent, who excelled as a Navy SEAL ... etc. etc.
Stick with Vincent Flynn's Mitch Rapp or Tom Cain's Carver, or Ben Coes' Andreas, Andy McNab's Nick Stone and so on. Please don't waste your time on Brad Thor!

The Loch Ness Legacy
The Loch Ness Legacy
by Boyd Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rollicking Good Read!, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Loch Ness Legacy (Paperback)
Tyler Locke and Grant Westfield return in Boyd Morrison's fourth thriller in the series, and the story cracks along at a breathless pace! If you don't know about Boyd Morrison but enjoy Clive Cussler novels then believe me, you will like his work.
Tyler Locke is a great hero who seems to attract trouble. The baddies are larger than life and test Tyler's resources to the full, and the plots would not be out of place in a James Bond adventure.
I love these books!
This book starts in Paris, continues in the US and concludes in the Scottish Highlands, visiting London and Versailles along the way. The plot is 'a bit far fetched' as my Dad would say, but who cares?! It's a rollicking good read!

The Roswell Conspiracy
The Roswell Conspiracy
by Boyd Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Clive Cussler, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Roswell Conspiracy (Paperback)
If you like Clive Cussler then try Boyd Morrison. This is the third Tyler Locke thriller which takes you breathlessly around the world as you follow Tyler and his friends beat the bad guys. It's fun, and reading it is a great way to unwind after a stressful day at the office!

In a League of Their Own!: The Dick, Kerr Ladies Football Club
In a League of Their Own!: The Dick, Kerr Ladies Football Club
by Gail Newsham

5.0 out of 5 stars The men were afraid, 6 Jan. 2013
This lovely book depicts the history of Dick Kerr Ladies, the most successful ladies football team in the 20s and 30s. The story is truly amazing and tells that Dick Kerr ladies played in front of thousands of fans, beating all those before them, touring both Europe and the US. I already knew that my Grandmother, Alice Woods was a footballer (much to her parent's disgust) but this book really made me appreciate exactly how good she was and how important Dick Kerr Ladies were.

The book is well written - deserves to be a more popular book than it is.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules [DVD]
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2: Rodrick Rules [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zachary Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service, 17 Jun. 2012
I ordered this DVD for my 10 year old daughter Charlotte's birthday. She has read the books by Jeff Kinney and already has the first film on DVD.
This sequel is as good as the first, and Charlotte loves it.
The service from Amazon was first class as always!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2012 11:25 AM BST