Profile for D. J. Walter > Reviews

Content by D. J. Walter

D. J. Walter (Hereford UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Elephant Whisperer: Learning About Life, Loyalty and Freedom From a Remarkable Herd of Elephants
by Anthony Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Lawrence deserves Nobel for Caring for Animals, 15 Nov. 2012
If there were a Nobel Prize for Caring for Animals Lawrence Anthony would surely be awarded it. In this book he has to accept a herd of bolshie elephants who have been mistreated - to the extent of the previous park owner killing the herd's matriarch. The herd is twitchy and escapes on the first day. Lawrence speaks to the new matriarch Nana 'Please don't escape - they will shoot you'. So she doesn't. The herd settles down and enjoy life at Tulla Tulla under Lawrence's loving care. When Nana gives birth, she brings her new baby to show Lawrence - walks over the lawn to his lodge! It's a wonderful moving book.

The next books 'The Last Rhinos' about saving rhinos in the congo,and 'Babylon's Arc' where Lawrence flies to Kuwait, drives across the desert to Baghdad at HUGE personal danger and saves the animals in Baghdad Zoo from thirst and starvation are equally rewarding.

I wish more people would follow the likes of Lawrence than Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot and Stalin.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Super easy to fix light, 15 Nov. 2012
Just put the batteries in, put two screws in gate post say, fit the base over the screws and that's it.
Walk past it at night - delightful gentle light from gate up garden path to steps where other BIG security light cuts in. Ideal. When you walk from our door towards it with the BIG light on - it doesn't light up and blind you. Sensible. AND no flipping wiring up.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful giggle informative History of Science mainly, 10 Oct. 2012
How on earth Bill Bryson - a non-scientist - can read, visit, and talk to scientists, and collate the enomormous amount of information he garners into a light-hearted throroughly enjoyable story of Earth, how we got here, how we function etc is utterly astonishing. It is even giggly. It is fantastic. Read it.
A one star review carped about inaccuracies, and that Penzias was a technician, not an astronomer. The Britannica Concise Encyclopedia on my Seiko Electronic Dictionary says he was an Astrophysicist, PhD Columbia, Bell Labs, Nobel Prize then President at Bell Labs.
So read it.

Dr David Walter PhD

Edwardian Accrington Observed
Edwardian Accrington Observed

1.0 out of 5 stars Many photos black rectangles, 4 Oct. 2012
I downloaded this book and was very disappointed to find that many of the photographs are just black rectangles. The Kindle orders only allow me to write a review, and does not seem to allow me to complain about this in any other way.
I want another better copy downloaded.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 12:05 PM BST

Daily Telegraph Big Book Quick Crosswords Book 5: No.5 (Daily Telegraph Big Book of Quick Crosswords)
by Telegraph Group Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell to bits - needed glueing together, 5 Feb. 2012
Quick number 5 is the worst made of all the Daily Telegraph books I have ever had - and I have had many. The paper back fell off, and pages fell out so badly I had to glue it up again. I detest answers set in small grids, which are difficult to read, and difficult to locate. I prefer numbered lists of answers.

However the clues and answers are demanding, and I've learnt many more words.

The Colours of Infinity: The Beauty and Power of Fractals
The Colours of Infinity: The Beauty and Power of Fractals
by Ian Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing DVD showing the Greats of Fractals and chaos, 15 Sept. 2011
The DVD is just gorgeous IF know something about Fractals and Chaos, and want to see Dr Benoit Mandelbrot talk about his set, Michael Barnsley talk about his Collage Theorem for compressing images. And of course lots of beautiful images.

Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45
Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45

1.0 out of 5 stars No contents no page numbers where am I, 15 Sept. 2011
Like most Kindle books there are no contents and no page numbers, so you haven't a clue where you are, or how to choose a thrilling chapter.

Amazon - please add contents and page numbers to Kindle books.

Added after adverse comments on my 'review':
This wasn't supposed to be a review at all - I just wanted Amazon to add contents pages. Being a new Kindle owner, I hadn't found out how to locate the contents page, but now I have. I have deleted the book from my Kindle now.

I repeat - this is not a review - and there are no page numbers in Kindle books, so if you go back to find something, it may be hard to return. No doubt some kind soul will tell me how to do it. So thanks in advance.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2014 1:16 AM BST

Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide
by Alastair I.M. Rae

2.0 out of 5 stars Good at quanta - bad at electronics, 20 Dec. 2010
I liked this book, but in my opinion it is marred by many typos and alas much of the electronics is just wrong. One voltage amplifier shown is actually an emmitter follower which does amplify the input voltage. The silicon chip photo is not a microprocesser. I doubt the logic gate was ever used, and bipolar transistors are not used for logic any more. I emailed the publishers to try and contact the author but got no reply.

It's a shame.

Added later: The electronics has no real bearing on the excellent physics he beautifully and succinctly potrays - I don't know why he bothered. If there is a new edition, he might like to get input from an colleague in electronics

Territory
Territory
by Judy Nunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping novel unexpected twists - so sudden you burst into tears, 16 April 2010
This review is from: Territory (Paperback)
Judy Nunn is an Australian author and Territory is another of her well crafted novels with intertwining themes. A gorgeous English Rose marries a dashing Spitfire pilot, and when he takes her home to the cattle station two hours from Darwin, he becomes an absolute dictator. I won't spoil it by mentioning the other theme - but we also learn how Darwin was utterly destroyed by the Japanese not long after Pearl Harbour. Fascinating - I cried near the end - just burst out of me.Maralinga

I couldn't find a place to review Maralinga, so I'll put it here:
This was the first Judy Nunn novel we found when in New Zealand, an astonishingly well crafted gripping novel about the ruthlessness of the British Government (what's new?) in the 1950s testing nuclear bombs in an area called Maralinga in the North of the Nullarbor Plain, about a hundred miles North of the coast. Ruthless scientists just longing for an irradiated aboriginal body to appear for testing, which of course happened when a family followed the big spirit cloud beckoning them to a meeting - they find a nice warm hole in the ground for the night - and fry.

Sharp Electronic Dictionary PW-E500
Sharp Electronic Dictionary PW-E500

5.0 out of 5 stars Much quicker and easier than a 2 kg dictionary!, 25 Mar. 2010
I thoroughly recommend the Sharp Oxford Electronic Dictionary & Thesaurus with Quotations PWE500A to look words up - it only weighs 150 grams. It contains about 350 000 words which you can access far quicker than an enormous book weighing about 2 kgs - often by typing just the first few letters. It has many other features such as solving crossword puzzles using wildcards and solving anagrams; it is also a calculator and metric converter. It was the best 70th birthday present I gave me, and I have used it nearly every day for three years - especially as an aid to solving cryptic crossword puzzles. Also in everyday life - it's easy to carry, and you can quickly find the meaning of a word you come across - in conversation or whatever.Daily Telegraph Cryptic Crosswords 62: No. 62

Page: 1 | 2