Profile for Junying Kirk > Reviews

Content by Junying Kirk

Junying Kirk "junying007" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Accused (Anklaget) [DVD]
Accused (Anklaget) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

5.0 out of 5 stars A Noir at its best!, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Accused (Anklaget) [DVD] (DVD)
I watched it the day it arrived, as I have been eager to have a noir fix. It did not disappoint. A tough subject and very well acted by the two leads, with a twist towards the end of the film. Recommend it with no reservation!

The Erotic Bath
The Erotic Bath

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sexy Short Story, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Erotic Bath (Kindle Edition)
It's refreshing to read something different and something which takes only minutes, not days. My usual reads of novels seem to take longer and longer to consume these days when there are many distractions, so I was glad to dig into a steaming story that takes only one setting to finish, and it was delightfully enjoyable too.

I like the erotic imageries in this story - I shall never have a bath in the same way again ;)! I also enjoyed the little twist at the end. So well done to the author!

The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD]
The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

5.0 out of 5 stars There Hunt will haunt you!, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Hunt (Jagten) [DVD] (DVD)
Disturbing, thought provoking plot. Well executed and excellent acting.

Stranger at Sunset
Stranger at Sunset

5.0 out of 5 stars Character-driven Fiction, Fine Dialogues and Great Writing - Eden Baylee’s New Mystery Set in the Sunny Caribbean, 1 July 2014
It’s a been a joy to read this exciting and engaging mystery.

I started it a few nights ago. It pulled me in straight away. A host of characters are gathered in the fabulous location of Sunset Villa in Jamaica - doesn’t that sound like a perfect place for a cosy vacation, as well as eliciting hot sex with a handsome stranger, and perhaps mixing it with a little murder and mystery?

That was exactly what eden baylee did, and how brilliantly she did it too.

I loved the way the author sketched her characters, from a beautiful, sophisticated psychiatrist, to an arrogant alpha male; from an attractive, ambitious Southern belle to her crude, obtuse bully of a boyfriend; from amicable, eager to please resort owners to their narcissistic, manipulative sociopath in the form of a magazine reviewer. Many of these characters, whatever their roles are in the book, are given a face and voice where they lead the reader into their world, seeing what they see and feel how they feel.

Through a variety of perspectives, we get a glimpse of the inner workings of each individual and what motivates each of them.

The author shines with her construction of dialogues between characters, which are realistic and flow easily, driving the plot forward. Although it is not fast paced, it engages the reader and propels us to read on.

I loved the fact that the story is set in Jamaica, a dream destination I have yet to travel to. It gives me a taste of what is to come when I make it.

The author combines her love for music, travel, books, appetite for exotic food, a curiosity and understanding of people, all of which help her to deliver this great piece of writing, through her vivid imagination and magical keyboard.

I applaud her efforts for diversifying from her current repertoire and offering us this wonderfully crafted mystery novel. I have been a big fan of this author for quite sometime and have read her previous erotica collections. I was very much intrigued when I learnt that she was penning a full length psychological thriller and eagerly anticipated its release.

Now I have read it and enjoyed it, so much so that I would recommend it to other book lovers. I am also making it my Book of the Month, spreading the word for a fabulous summer read. Take it when you’re going on a holiday and relax with Stranger at Sunset, wherever your holiday destination may be :)!

ChinAlive
ChinAlive
by Mr. Bob Jonas

5.0 out of 5 stars An Informative, Intriguing Adventure into the Middle Kingdom, 22 Jan. 2014
This review is from: ChinAlive (Paperback)
As a norm, A YA book is not amongst my chosen holiday reads, however, the title of ChinAlive grabbed my attention on GoodReads and I put it on my to read list for 2014. New year, new challenges, hence trying something different.

For a few days as I basked in the sunshine of Madeira and went about exploring one of my favourite islands, propped up on the massive Queen-size bed in the evenings, resting my tired legs while becoming increasingly absorbed in an adventure along China's longest river, the Yangtze.

What a thrilling read it has proved to be. As many of my readers know, I'm originally from China and I was brought up drinking the waters from a tributary of the Yangtze, melted from mighty Himalayas travelling through my home city Chongqing all the way to South China Sea.

ChinAlive is an ambitious undertaking by the author, which follows three teenage boys in their involuntary involvement far beyond their years. Without revealing the plot of the book, which I hope that you will get your hands on after my review, I would tell you how much I have enjoyed the stories - as a reader, I was taken on an unforgettable journey, through many places which I was familiar with, yet see it through the eyes of the protagonists, be it an expat from Utah, or a computer geek from San Francisco, or a Chinese school boy who wanted to perfect his English. It is riveting to see what these boys went through in their pursuit to find answers, playing roles which they have yet to unravel.

I give ChinAlive 5 stars, for the author's efforts to bring China's history, her culture, politics and people into this kaleidoscope of life in the 21st century. Although it is fiction, the questions of the book are loud and clear - does the Chinese people want democracy? Or is it a Western privilege which has eluded China? Any of you who have read or seen what had happened in Tian'anmen Square in 1989 would know what the answers should be. In a country where economic development far outstrips political freedom and enlightenment, Mr Jonas's book serves a timely reminder, asking: What do the majority of Chinese people REALLY want?

Coincidentally, I see quite a few parallels between Bob Jonas's book and my first book of Journey to the West trilogy. ChinAlive began with one of the ancient Chinese legends Yu who wrote history by combatting the disastrous flooding, readers of The Same Moon would know that one of my protagonists was named after the same legendary hero. There are other shared themes about what happened in China in the last fifty years or so, which naturally had a special impact on me as a reader.

I would recommend ChinAlive without any reservation. It is highly engaging, hugely informative, and above all, a thrilling ride into the mysterious East, its past, present and future. If you know little about China, your knowledge will be instantly enriched. Even if you think you know China, as I do, you will learn a little more, as I have done.

My hat is off to Bob Jonas for penning such a great read for all ages, not just YA. It will be my Book of the Month, coinciding with the forthcoming Chinese New Year, so do check it out :).

I wish the author every success in producing more thrilling literary works in the future!

How to Write Dialogue
How to Write Dialogue

5.0 out of 5 stars An #IndieAuthor's Ultimate Guidebook, 4 Jan. 2014
What is dialogue?

Dialogue, in an English dictionary, most commonly means `a conversation between two people'; it also refers to the lines spoken by characters in a drama or fiction. It is an exchange of ideas and opinions. In Chinese, duihua (对话 ), simply put, an exchange of speech.

How to Write Dialogue contains selections of great dialogue writing by eleven current working and publishing authors in many different genres, and I'm honored that three short pieces of Trials of Life , the second of my Journey to the West trilogy are cited in the book.The samples used to illustrate one of Matt's points, which is how dialogue advances the plot.

There are many more useful examples in this well-researched book, from past literary masters and newer (like me) and seasoned authors from the indie world . The book provides analysis of how to write dialogue for character development and plot advancement, when to use specialised language (and when not to!) and many other topics. It is a practical guide for both authors and students - and it's entertaining as well.

I am giving this book a 4.5 star rating. I am a contributor. Some people would say that it is hard not to be biased. Maybe they are right. I have many reasons to sing the praises of Matt's book, one of which is the fabulous label he has kindly bestowed onto me: Multicultural Icon.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book - it is, after all, my Book of the Month. Next time, someone starts to talk AT me, if he/she happens to be an author, I may just offer to buy How to Write Dialogue - It is, in my view, more or less the same as "How to Conduct Effective Conversation", am I right? As a reader, I sometimes get bored, and even annoyed with poorly constructed and badly written dialogues in books. My kind of good reads, in general, are mirrors of real life and show us characters who talk and communicate just like you and me!

Everyone Burns (Time, Blood and Karma Book 1)
Everyone Burns (Time, Blood and Karma Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Engaging Detective Story set in Enchanting Thailand, 30 Dec. 2013
From John Dolan's beautifully descriptive prose, I fell in love with this beautiful Thai island too. But until I physically hope onto a plane heading over there, I make do with a virtual visit, via Mr Dolan's wonderfully crafted book, Everyone Burns.

Crime thrillers set in exotic locations have been my favourite choice of reads in recent years. This book ticked many of the boxes that interest me in a great read: engaging plot, fascinating, believable characters, conflicts (murders and cultural clashes), pace and more: WIT. Yes, having lived in the UK for over a quarter of a century, I have a soft heart for a particular British brand: Sense of Humour.

Everyone Burns has all the essential ingredients of a good book, no matter what genre, yet wit was not something I had expected when I began reading but very quickly became entertained by it. The protagonist David Braddock is a cynical, quintessential Englishman who not only lives in Thailand but he is well-versed both culturally and linguistically in that exotic country (Qualities I happen to admire). He is by no means a perfect human specimen but his very imperfections and flaws only make him more authentic and believable. I could actually imagine him going about his dual businesses while chasing after sexy women on the side in that exciting, exotic and erotic island. Isn't that what a middle-aged `farang' is supposed to do in Thailand ;)?

On a personal level, I am impressed with Mr Dolan's appreciation and knowledge of Eastern cultures, especially insights into Buddhism.

As a general rule, I don't do spoilers in my reviews. I prefer my readers to be persuaded by my humble efforts, pick up a copy and read for themselves. If any of you are so inclined, I wish you many hours of happy reading :)!

- See more at: [...]

The Nano Experiment
The Nano Experiment

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Action Thriller, 4 Nov. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book - it engaged me straight away and kept me interested until I came to the very end.

Among so many books out there to choose from each and every single day, I probably would not have come across this one, had I not posted a discussion via the Crime Fiction group in LinkedIn. I'm pleased to have 'discovered' the author's book and would recommend this book to those enjoying a fast, action packed crime thriller.

I learnt something I did not know about Death Row and was throughly impressed with how the story developed. The main characters are interesting, despite their flaws. I enjoyed following them, and so much so that this is my Book of the Month on my website for November.

24 City [DVD]
24 City [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joan Chen
Offered by The World Cinema Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant Facts mixed with Fiction, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: 24 City [DVD] (DVD)
It's an interesting mix for a film, which focused on the lives of ordinary people in a former military factory in Chengdu. It's especially interesting for me because I have families there and I knew the tales to be true. The pace is a little slow for me but thaw theme is deeply touching, reflecting the transformation in modern China and some of its unwelcome side effects on people. On the shining surface of China's economic boom, what are the costs?

In a Better World [DVD]
In a Better World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mikael Persbrandt
Offered by DVD Vault UK

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED it!, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: In a Better World [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the DVD without noticing that I have already watched the film on TV, but no regret whatsoever, as it is a film worth watching again. A very touching plot, beautifully acted and filmed. Loved the contrast between the Northern European landscape and that of Africa. A moving story which I have no hesitation in recommending it to all cinema lovers. If you don't mind subtitles, you'd enjoy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5