Profile for thekiwigirl > Reviews

Trivial Pursuit 20th Anniversary
Offered by Super Duper
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars New Slant on an Old Game, 4 Mar 2005
I was a little hesitant about going for a new slant on a new game, I mean, after all, we all have our favourite (and least favourite!) catagories in the old Trivial Pursuit don't we? After playing the game through once, I was perfectly content with the new question catagories. The questions are fun, and certainly far more up to date than in the past. Saying that, it is possible that these questions are in fact too contemporary, and that this game is likely to date pretty fast.
The new board style is very swanky, and makes a nice change. The questions, go through far too fast however and after one game we found we were breaking into the second pack out of the three provided. Trivial Pursuit really do need to think about increasing the questions supplied, or sanctioning booster packs again. This is why I have given four stars for durability, although the actual game is off course, not fragile in the least.
There was even some humour in some of the questions i.e. "what took the Americans four months in 2000 that usually takes the UK one night"?

Resurrection Day
Resurrection Day
by Brendan DuBois

4.0 out of 5 stars Resurrected from the bookshelf for the lads, 20 May 2004
This review is from: Resurrection Day (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book immensely. The plot is great, although flawed on occasion. However it will keep you thinking well after the book. The prose is a little static and the flow seems to be missing. It certainly has a "new-author-first-book-with-potential" feel to it. In fact the writing reminded me of those readers digest recommended thrillers or westerns you'd get at your grandparents house. I feel a better editor might have raised this to a great novel rather than a good read.
Despite the above criticism, I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with a love of conspiracy theory or wanting a light read with a fascinating storyline. I gave this to my significant other who is not much of a reader, and he was wowed by it. I have also lent it to other men as it has a "blokey feel" to it. All have enjoyed.
It is really a three star however I an enjoyed it like a four. It was a bad novel but a good book. It seems to me this would make a better film than a novel - and how rare is that?

Manhunt (PS2)
Manhunt (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Rent it - don't buy it, 20 April 2004
This review is from: Manhunt (PS2) (Video Game)
As a fan of anything Rockstar churns out, I was a tad disappointed withthis. OK, I admit that the hype about gratuitous violence influenced me toget this the day it came out. However truthfully, it's not all its crackedup to be - this game was in a word, repetitive.
The graphics are mediocre, the setting is not that exciting, and themaximum skill level is mastered after the first few scenes. What the gamedoes require is patience, something I don't always have when rushing homefrom work and getting ready to go out - I just want to get to the nextlevel as such. As this is a stealth game, you must remain focussed andnever rush a move - cause if the bad guys hear you - you have to start allover again... and again..
OK I played it straight for a couple of evenings. No more than 8 hoursgame play. It was enjoyable but not up to the standard of many games outthere. The story behind it could have been developed, if anything it was abit pretentious - trying a little too hard to be intelligently gruesomebut coming up pretty shallow. Rent it, don't bother buying it. I doubtanyone would bother playing it again, as once you've finished you know thegame peaks half way through and then goes flat and doesn't get any better.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful escapism, 19 April 2004
I recommend this book to anyone who has experienced life in Africa. What makes this book so beautiful, and why I award it a full five stars, is the way it captures the heart and soul of Africa.
The book reads almost like a collection of short stories, quaint in nature, but certainly not patronising. This is not an intellectual book however that does not mean that it is any way less powerful in its ability to capture the essence of the human spirit and invoke kindeness and campassion in the reader.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but Temperamental, 14 Jan 2004
From the moment you start playing PofP you will find it a wonderful visual experience. The graphics are possibly the best in a game yet, you actually feel like you are playing within a Disney animated film. The plot is good enough to remain interesting.
I liked the ability to rewind time, as there is nothing more irritating than accidentally falling and having to redo an entire scene again. The rewind came in especially useful when the camera angles did not allow you to see what is happening and you had to jump as if blindfolded! That is the main problem with this game, and why I am only giving it 4 stars. There are some serious problems with the camera angles, so that you can not see around you when you zoom out, and more frustratingly sometimes no matter what camera angle you use, you remain obscured behind a wall, flag or some other object. There is also a problem with the was use of the directional buttons. Several times in the game I found that you actually had to aim in another direction (not necessarily opposite) to get the Prince to move in the direction he needed to go.
I found that after the first 10% of the game, it did not get any more difficult, as you had already learnt most of the skills necessary to continue. This leads to a feeling that the levels and puzzles are a bit repetativeThe only time this was not the case was when, towards the end of the game, you no longer have use of the dagger and therefore the power of the sands – it is then you find just how much you were using the power to rewind time! Expect about 12 hours enjoyable gameplay.