Profile for Adomestikgoddess > Reviews

Content by Adomestikgoddess

Adomestikgoddess "Teresa Bielar" (Wales,UK/CA,USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
15 PIECE PRO CHEF KNIFE SET INCLUDING 12" STEEL AND DELUXE KNIFE FOLDER DOLOMITEN INOX. GERMAN STAMP OF QUALITY
Offered by The Knife Company UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nous Secondus, 13 Dec 2013
I bought these knives as a treat for myself for the coming festive season, they are really well made, well balanced, and there is a knife for every job. I was pleased with the packing and the fact that they took so little time to arrive from the time I placed my order........they really are excellent quality for the money, and one would normally expect to pay a great deal more for them.

The Thrifty Cookbook: 476 Ways to Eat Well with Leftovers
The Thrifty Cookbook: 476 Ways to Eat Well with Leftovers
by Kate Colquhoun

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little book, 19 Sep 2012
This is an amazing little book, not only does it give you ideas on what to do with all your left overs it gives tips on shopping to avoid waste and basic cookery methods on a whole host of basic kitchen skills, basic recipes and gives you the run down on what you should have in your larder,freezer etc to knock up a nourishing meal from what you have left or from scratch. Americans generally do more with their leftovers than we Brits, they save and utilize the last scrap of everything.... in this economic climate its something we all need to learn.

French Cooking: Classic Recipes and Techniques
French Cooking: Classic Recipes and Techniques
by Vincent Boué

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, 19 Sep 2012
I collect cookery books and own literally hundreds, I love cooking and my children all cook, one of them professionally ............... This book is without doubt my best purchase to date, it is excellent both in its illustration of techniques and recipes, and explanation of why we do things a certain way to obtain the best results, I really feel that this should occupy a special place on the bookshelves of any serious cook, I just wish I could attend courses run by the Author.

Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
Complete Cookery Course: Classic Edition
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, 4 May 2012
I probably have over a thousand Cookery Books, but if I had to save two, they would be Delia's How to cook, and her complete cookery course, which are an invaluable source of how to cook just about anything, I have had them since I first married in the early 80's and have recently updated them for new editions my own being worn out, I have also supplied them to each of my children as they make their own way in the world, confident in the knowledge, that if I am not on hand to answer their questions Delia will be.........

Caribbean Food Made Easy
Caribbean Food Made Easy
by Levi Roots

1.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colourful book, its a shame the recipies don't work, 1 Sep 2009
I bought this book for my son, it tried a recipe and it was awful, so me thinking it was him tried it out for myself to find the same foul results there is definitely something wrong with the quantities in the recipies.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2010 11:04 PM BST

The London Ritz Book Of Christmas
The London Ritz Book Of Christmas
by Jennie Reekie

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book of ideas, 17 July 2009
This is a small book, but the ideas of what they do at Christmas in the Ritz make good reading, and inspiration abounds for your own festiveties

Feed Me Now
Feed Me Now
by Bill Granger

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok for Auz , not for the British Market, 4 April 2009
This review is from: Feed Me Now (Hardcover)
I have a couple of books by this guy, and quite frankly I would not have bought this one had I realised it was one of his(so much for choosing a few books in the small wee hours when you can't sleep), his recipies are made up of ingredients easily available in Australia, but not on the average British High Street, a bit hairy fairy for my tastes...... much better to buy Clarrissa Dickinson Wright, or Nigella or Jamie or our beloved Delia... all much more down to earth and all ingredients easily accessible without costing an arm and a leg.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2010 8:57 AM BST

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful.....back to basics, 20 Oct 2008
This is a wonderful book which in my opinion should be bought for sons and daughters leaving home, nephews and neices off to uni.....anyone and everyone. I am a granny that cooks three meals a day, and there were new ideas in here for me.....how to cook up something tasty and exotic looking in 20mins or less....can't be bad. excellent little book, I am looking forward to his next one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2009 2:53 PM BST

Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
Nigella Christmas: Food, Family, Friends, Festivities
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Christmasy enough, 20 Oct 2008
I feel a real traitor for not giving this five stars, because as with all Nigella's recipies, and I buy everything she writes they are great, tasty, workable and the count down to the big day is worked out logically to give you time to get yourself ready to entertain, which many others forget, and the poor cook ends up bedraggled and forgotten, whilst preparing and serving up a feast for the enjoyment of everyone but themselves because the are way too busy.

I would have liked to have seen boozey mincemeat recipies,Yule logs with glace chestnuts and lashings of cream, booziest christmas cakes so moist they squelch, alternate gooey desserts by the chapter, lots of different starters, menu's for the whole 12 day's that is the christmas feast....starting christmas eve and winding up with New Years dinner and what to do with the leftovers for a few days beyond.......As I said t was nearly a five but there was scope for more.

Runaway: A Road Adventure (PC DVD)
Runaway: A Road Adventure (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

1.0 out of 5 stars Why, oh why, can't I give less than 1 star?, 21 Jun 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I don't actually own this game, my son has it installed on his comp and I found myself playing it at some point.

There's no way to be objective about this game without using overtly profane language.

So I'll try to start with the games good points. It took me an excruciating period of time to realise there was only 1.

"It had some pretty pictures". And, to tell the truth, even that only went to a point. The locations were stunning, as they tend to be in games such as this, and while the main characters were very pretty (but wouldn't they be?) most of the other characters seemed to be very disproportionate (anatomically) and cartoony, even if their roles weren't meant to be comical.

Now for the areas where the game simply failed;
The dialogue
the 'acting'
the characters
the story line
most of the puzzles
and, worst of all, the monologues.

The main character is clearly the kind of guy the writer wants to be; Extremely intelligent (though not particularly knowledgeable about the creation of peanut butter in the real world), or, at least, on an accelerated learning programme that has allowed him to finish his degree young and go onto PhD very early. I think he was studying physics. Not only that but he's extremely attractive. He bears no resemblance to a real life human.

He's probably the worst character of the lot, but don't get me wrong; they're all pretty bad.

The dialogue was clearly composed by somebody who has clearly never experienced a conversation with another living person. Or perhaps a person who is under the impression that the way people talk in Marvel Comics is the way people really talk.

While it is possible that the actors did try to work around the script in order to make everything sound more organic than it was... I really can't be certain. Such an endeavor would have been doomed to failure anyway.
The accents of many (most) of the characters are poorly mimicked stereotypes. All in all, I guess they just didn't have much of a budget for voice actors when they came to that part of the game.

I don't mind the story lines in my computer games being far fetched... Hell; it's the reason I play quite a few of them. And yet, while there have been plenty of books and movies with similar styles to this (a guy and a girl hook up with some mysterious artifact, on the run from hit men... It could almost be the De Vinci code, but this makes that book pass for literature.) the plot holes are too many and too big to over look. For example, it is possible that the girl was 'paralysed with fear' but I can't help but think that, if their dad was being violently interrogated by hoodlums a normal person would try to sneak away and find help, not wait and watch. And then, why would he contact his daughter, putting her into immediate danger, in the first place?

OK, I can answer that last question; the makers don't want some chubby balding old man to be the hero's love interest.

Then there's the puzzles... A lot of these games have a history involve giving us problems which are eventually solved through means no sane person would actually resort to. (I think there was even a joke about that in Broken Sword 2). This game has too many of them.

People keep telling me that the whole point of games like this is to keep on clicking items and to keep trying to use them with as varied a combination of people an other items as possible until you get results. I keep telling them; "no, that was the point of Myst". In a game like this we're supposed to be given a range of subtle hints that allow us to gradually piece together out objectives and piece together a method of meeting them in the dialogue or the item descriptions. That's no for a lack of clues... You are given some idea of what you're supposed to do. After all, any die hard fan of this genre will tell you that it's good mental exercise, specifically in the area of lateral thinking. If you are just trying to use random items with people and other random items in order to succeed in life then you won't get far.

I'm really sick of these games trying to be like broken sword when they should be trying to be Discworld Noir (best in the discworld game series). Now There was a game that had you make use of your brain.

In other games there eventually comes a point where a vital item is very subtly hidden, but we get the chance to notice with the occasional glimmer of light coming from it or through very close observation. Rolling your mouse over every pixel on the screen should be a last resort. And when you've used it you should at least be able to say "dang, I should have spotted that". However there were times I did resort to that last method of finding a clue and yet I still found it hard to find items which I knew perfectly well were supposed to be there.

As I mentioned above, the worst part of this game is the monologues. Between every 'act' the main character starts yapping on and on with information that we already know or that will be explained early on in the course of the next out, or is completely irrelevant. Worse still, this is directly after a 'cut scene' and right before another one kicks in. And you can skip none of this, the retarded monologues or the stupid cutscenes. I was there, hammering return (escape only takes you to the options menu), desperately trying to stop him wasting valuable and irreplaceable moments of my lifetimes and nothing worked. I've known plenty of people who talk just too much, but none of them compare to this guy. If somebody I did know, in real life, was to talk as much as him I swear I would kick them in the nuts and smack them repeatedly until they got the message.

Don't by this game. Don't even download it. If somebody tries to give it to you as a gift then ask if you can have the receipt, too.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2009 1:28 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3