Profile for Yoga Punguin > Reviews

Tideland [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jodelle Ferland
Offered by lightningdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars The young star is worth the watch., 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: Tideland [DVD] (DVD)
Comic, compelling, creepy. The young star is just astonishing and if everything else were terrible, she would make it worth watching. Luckily, everything else is not terrible, just very unsettling. Drug overdoses, retardation, child sexual abuse, and hints at complete insanity are present here but so are dark humor and a great acting job by Ferland. I'm guessing this will be more appreciated in the future. Just don't expect "12 Monkeys" or "The Fisher King."

The Wicker Man - The Director's Cut (DVD) [1973]
The Wicker Man - The Director's Cut (DVD) [1973]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave and brilliant., 17 Jan 2011
I enjoyed the DVD commentary because so many of the speakers are so enthusiastic about "The Wicker Man."

There's really little I can add to the positive reviews. I'm American, however, and sometimes I couldn't understand the Scottish accents. Unfortunately, this version is not subtitled. So... I ordered a version that IS.

Gothic [DVD]
Gothic [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gabriel Byrne
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars The movie is much better than the opening shot would make you believe.., 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Gothic [DVD] (DVD)
I first found this movie on a $1 budget-DVD "Double Feature." I was very disappointed by Dolby's first chords because I thought they gave the film a very cheap, amateurish quality. Despite that fact, I think this is certainly worth a watch.

You may indeed have to know a bit about the people involved to truly appreciate it or maybe you can just enjoy it as a colorful, wild ride through bizarre places usually visited by only madmen, poets, and the intoxicated. Some reviewers complain about the incredible behavior of the characters but I've been around "stoned", pretentious, creative types. When someone else is paying the bills, much strangeness often ensues.

I would love to see this re-released with an orchestral score instead of Dolby's synthesizer music.

I bought this here because my cheap version has no subtitles and the picture quality is terrible. I'll watch it as soon as I finish typing this. The delivery was pretty quick - I live in the States - and the price was very fair.