Profile for L. K. Taylor > Reviews

Content by L. K. Taylor

L. K. Taylor "Book-Junkie" (England, UK)

REAL LEATHER SMALL DOG PLAIN COLLAR 10"-12" NECK SIZE (Royal Blue)
REAL LEATHER SMALL DOG PLAIN COLLAR 10"-12" NECK SIZE (Royal Blue)
Offered by mbmretail

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely leather and colour, but hard to fasten and the colour bleeds onto your dog's fur in the rain., 19 Aug. 2014
It's a lovely colour and real leather, but the buckle is stiff and takes some getting used to. Also the colour bled onto my dogs fur in the rain, which wasn't good. I loved it when I first saw it, but putting it to use highlighted some serious flaws unfortunately. Shame because it's a great colour and lovely leather, but the fastening isn't great and the colour bleeds.

Jazooli Adjustable Soft Fabric Dog/Puppy Harness Lead - Brown - Small
Jazooli Adjustable Soft Fabric Dog/Puppy Harness Lead - Brown - Small
Offered by Jazooli

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my 12 week Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy., 19 Aug. 2014
I love this harness! It fit my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy from 10 weeks onwards. At 12 weeks and 4 days its just starting to get snug and it will be time to move up a size in a week or two. It's been perfect. It's soft and seems very comfortable. Your dog may not be too happy with it going over his head at first, but they all get used to it! The clip part that goes behind the front legs is safe and easy to adjust. Couldn't be happier.

Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice
Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice
by Colin Renfrew

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for undergraduates and those with interests in archaeology., 31 Mar. 2011
As an undergraduate studying Archaeology BSc I found this book to be extremely well directed towards giving a clear, understandable introduction to Archaeology as a subject. It covers many of the subject's main areas; in particular, I found the chapter on dating to be extremely useful and informative. Furthermore, I felt that the book's greatest strength was it's use of case studies throughout. They really helped put things into context. Definitely recommended to those just getting started with the subject.

However, I thought that the book's coverage of field survey was slightly lacking. This is quite a downfall since survey results can be the driving force behind the excavation as well as playing a fundamental role in it's execution and direction.

Despite this, this book is still a staple to the archaeologist's bookshelf.

Priestess Of The White: Book 1 of the Age of the Five
Priestess Of The White: Book 1 of the Age of the Five

5.0 out of 5 stars Sack the editor, hail the author., 14 Jan. 2009
It's always hard writing a review for every book in a trilogy, and normally I'd simply write one for all three books on the final instalment. The Age of the Five however will be an exception in my aim to persuade you to read it. You wont regret it - trust me.

Don't worry though; I won't reveal any spoilers.

In the Priestess of the White, we start in a strange new world both as dissimilar as similar to her "Black Magician" world in many ways. It is all a little overwhelming for the first few chapters and you find yourself wondering where you are as she flits through characters. Later you appreciate her use of this writing tool when she uses it to subtly reveal the intricate details and deviances of her plot throughout all three books. Whilst some characters are used for just one instance, you begin to love those that are used constantly as they're built up gradually throughout their individual journeys, before all merging into one at the end of The Voice Of The Gods.

Trudi Canavan's world contains magic, gods, priests, sorcerers and politicians among others, and they're all intricately woven into a complicatedly wonderful storyline that has just the right amount of mystery. World order is seemingly simple at first, but as we begin to get drawn into the numerous goings on around the main character Auraya, we realise that the world order is not as simple and righteous as it appears. The details of the world, story, characters, history and religions are all gained gradually through the eyes of the characters rather than long winded exposition and descriptive narrative, which adds mystery and the desire to find out more.

As the trilogy progresses, the story lines interweave and become more and more complicated, but what's great is that it never gets tiresome or tedious. There is always something new going on and it always relates to or becomes significant at some point in the future. For this I applaud Trudi Canavan. The light bulb that goes off whenever one puts two and two together when reading a story, or when some seemingly insignificant point becomes significant is always a delight and I haven't seen a series of novels so well planned and consistent since the Harry Potter books.

If you like fantasy you can't go wrong here. If you like something more than a farm boy with hidden powers, you wont be disappointed. If you like a bit of grit and passion in unexpected places with more mature themes, again you can't go wrong and it all makes for a wonderful and entertaining journey that is as colourful and elaborate as it engaging.

Though I did thoroughly enjoy these books, they weren't absolutely perfect. Though their strengths more than make up for these imperfections I feel that I must highlight them for the sake of being fully informative.

First weakness: Auraya is very much like Sonea. This becomes apparent even from the prologue. The only difference is that Auraya is older and in a position of power and acceptance. If Sonea were in the same position, she would be the same as Auraya in my opinion. However I loved Sonea, so I didn't mind. Others might.

Second weakness: Not so much a whiz-bang finale in The Voice of The Gods. All the preparation for the ending was done in the previous chapters and though Canavan tried to give it a bit of tension by flitting to different characters in short bursts, it wasn't quite as exciting as The Black Magician's ending.
The ending was clever and satisfying (as everything fell into place and a certain someone got their comeuppance), but it was subtle. If you want raging battles and thirst for the deaths of half the main characters, you may be left feeling like you missed out.
Do not be deterred by this, there is plenty of tension and excitement throughout the books and the Priestess of the White has a very magical ending.
...Actually, I should correct myself; it IS a satisfying conclusion BEFORE Trudi leaves us with an intriguing epilogue- sequel anyone?

Third Weakness: The editing.
You'd think if you were going to put a book on the shelves, you'd do it properly. For the other two weaknesses, they are more than made up for in other areas, but there is no excuse for bad editing. When Trudi Canavan switched character, in every instance she used a line break before the next paragraph. I was appalled when I found one missing and the characters just switched without warning. If you're going to use a tool, use it right. If missing it out wasn't the author's doing, she should hire better editors/ whoever was responsible. Not only this, but I found accents over letter E's and A's, exclamation points and apostrophes where they shouldn't have been, even words miss spelt or with a letter missing. I ended up correcting things myself and put in the line break with a pencil and ruler.
Sack the editor Trudi.

But I implore you - please don't let this put you off!
It was a joy to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found myself theorising story possibilities out loud, I cheered when I felt happy and cried when something bad happened. This was down to Trudi Canavan's excellent story telling skills and her ability to draw you into the emotive storyline in a world rich in detail, settings, races, religion and politics. It was just... great.
The covers were pretty nice to :)
Please read it, you wont be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 12:57 AM GMT

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 3/7
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 3/7
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion the best in the series, 19 May 2008
Brief Plot Overview:
Times are dark as famous mass murderer, Sirius Black, is on the loose. This notorious muggle killer is not only barking mad, but he was He-who-must-not-be-nameds' most loyal follower (or so we're lead to believe) and is seeking revenge for the fall of his master, in the form of murdering our hero, Harry Potter.

Review:
This book is probably one of the best children's books I have ever read, not only does it bring together the plot so far in the exciting and dramatic way we've come to expect from Rowling, but it does so in an informative way and allows the reader to gain insight into the future instalments, which only engorges the thirst for more from this talented writer.

Rowlings' style is well balanced and these books reek of careful planning from the start, there are no inconsistencies in story (and trust me I've tried to find them by re-reading) and everything works together like a well-oiled machine.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite out of the seven because it adds a human touch instead of a whizz-bang finale, by that I mean there is little magic involved in deciding the outcome of the book and it is based around argument, conversation, good old fashioned sneaking about and human decisions rather than an all out brawl with spells and incantations.

Followers of the series will not be disappointed with the third instalment and (for those few who haven't swallowed the hype) are definitely recommended to fantasy readers who also enjoy a bit of good-old-English reality. The fact that the base-audience is children but adults all over the world read these books shows their versatility and ability to appeal to a wide range of audiences.

I am not the first to say this and I definitely won't be the last, but Kudos to J.K.Rowling!

The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three
The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three
by Trudi Canavan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excitement, Romance and Action brimming with magic - I was gripped to the very end!, 14 May 2008
Definitely the best book in the series, I found myself crying at three points in this book! Not only is it engaging and exciting but it is more of a human story laced with fantasy rather than the other way around. Each part of the book is interesting and relevant to the story and the trilogy in general is one I would read over and over, like His Dark Materials and the Harry Potter books.
Followers of the series will not be dissatisfied with the ultimate instalment, I assure you. It will have you gripped to the very end, I just wish there was a "Five Years Later" epilogue!

The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced and Enjoyable, 14 May 2008
This book is not only more balanced that the first instalment in the fact it isn't drawn out in either part, but it is much more exciting and inspires a great hate for the residential villains of the book. Much more of a page-turner than The Magicians Guild and left me impatient for my copy of the High Lord to arrive in the post.
A suitable and justifying second instalment to the trilogy!

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 14 May 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book despite the fact "Part One" can only be described as drawn out towards the finish. Overall however the book is very good with a creative storyline in an interesting new world I found myself curious about. The main character Sonea is very likeable as are many of the other characters, with the obvious hateable villain present, as is formula.
The concluding chapters definitely make the book a page-turner even though one can meander through the start of the book. However, this doesn't mean it isn't interesting and I would certainly recommend it to anybody who enjoys the fantasy genre and wants a break from Harry Potter.