Profile for Book Barnacle > Reviews

Content by Book Barnacle

Book Barnacle (London, UK)

Justin Fletcher Sings Something Special
Justin Fletcher Sings Something Special
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned!, 1 May 2011
Ok, here's the thing...husband thinks this is a great idea and buys it for our two year old daughter who is very fussy about what she'll listen to but learns any songs she does like off by heart instantly. Daughter decides she adores this CD and hence ALL (and I mean ALL) we listen to now in the car is this "Moosick". The entire family knows it inside out and we fall asleep at night hearing the songs and find ourselves repeating phrases from it at inappropriate moments. My husband even found himself listening to it AFTER he'd dropped off our now 3 year old daughter to nursery and then wondered if he'd gone mad. So BE WARNED. If you (by some weird twist of your taste-buds) happen to LIKE Justin Fletcher then you'll love this. If, like us, you find him slightly creepy but very effective when entertaining your child then yes, this will get under your skin but it does keep the kids happy. We now also have a son aged 3 months and when we put this on he is instantly soothed and falls asleep. Case closed.

Doing the Washing
Doing the Washing
by Sarah Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series of books by Sarah Garland, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Doing the Washing (Hardcover)
I love this whole series of books which has been republished in this nice hardback edition. My daughter adores reading them with me and we spend ages discussing each picture in all its detail. I am amazed these don't seem to have more reviews so I am spreading the word as these are such high quality and will speak to anyone bringing up kids!

Snuguns Green Mittens for children, easy on, stay on mittens for kids
Snuguns Green Mittens for children, easy on, stay on mittens for kids

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - nice gloves that stay on!, 12 Jan. 2010
Brilliant - I got these for my 21 month old and she not only demands to wear them when we go out, she actually keeps them on and they, in turn, stay on! They are so cleverly designed with room enough in the hands for her to be able to do quite fiddly things (she can pick up a set of keys from the floor and play with them while wearing these!). The colour is exactly like it is on-screen and the dots are like the non-slip stuff on slippers so they help with grip (good in the playground etc). I think these will be very popular and though they are not the cheapest they are worth every penny.

Le Toy Van London Car Set
Le Toy Van London Car Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish yet fun!, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Le Toy Van London Car Set (Toy)
I really like this le toy london set and so does my daughter (nearly 2 but I think she'll like 'em for ages to come). They are solid, colourful and nice to handle and make a nice traffic jam which, if you live in a large city (London?) then your kids will know all about such things and enjoy recreating them on the floor! Nice present and/or nice to own. I think we'll probably get her the le toy garage for her birthday so she can expand her play with them. By the way - They don't have any opening doors or anything but each one has a little hole in the back which I presume is for the petrol pump to fit into if you get the garage. They are quite light so wouldn't do terrible harm if chucked and seem pretty well made.

Go Anywhere portable blackout blind, LARGE, CREAM
Go Anywhere portable blackout blind, LARGE, CREAM
Offered by EasyBlinds

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 16 Sept. 2009
I bought this in the early summer as the nights were getting very light and I wondered if my child wasn't sleeping so well due to the bright sunlight pouring through our blinds! However it is rather cumbersome to put up and after a couple of days wrestling with it while standing precariously on a stool while my daughter wrestled with my ankles (not very Health and Safety...) I gave up. To be fair it does work - it 'blacks out' the room completely if you can get the darn thing up but all the suction cups and velcro gave me a bit of a headache and it's not a quick or one-person job particularly if you have a tired toddler at your feet. I like the bag it comes in though it's quite neat and although we did take it on holiday with us, again, we didn't actually end up using it. Judge accordingly but if you just want black out (despite not being terribly easy to put up and take down) this does acheive that.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice instrument, 16 Sept. 2009
My mother decided she wanted a harmonica for her 65th Birthday (having recently become a granny she is keen to be able to 'entertain the troops' on a rainy day!!). I got her this on the basis of the other reviews and she is delighted with it. I must say that the tone is very sweet and it is certainly good enough not to be classed as a toy. Lovely present (my 17 month old daughter thought so too!).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2010 1:42 PM BST

Going Swimming
Going Swimming
by Sarah Garland

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for a large age-range, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Going Swimming (Hardcover)
I love these sarah garland books but my daughter particularly loves this one as it is about somewhere that we actually go and she can relate to the excitement and anticipation. The pictures are great and because there's so little text you can either just look at the scenes or chat to your child about what's happening. I highly recommend them. This series is a nice size and in hardback so is reasonably durable too. The mother in these books is my secret role-model!!!

Rainbow Stacker
Rainbow Stacker

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy one thing....!, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Rainbow Stacker (Toy)
I bought these after much umming and ahhing for my daughter as we were getting desperate to find her something that she could really be interested in for more than 1 second. She has played with these ever since - she is now 17 months and we got them when she was about 5 months old! I can honestly say these are brilliant - they are (as other reviews have mentioned) really really durable and they are so satisfying to handle - the colours are much brighter and the plastic much 'nicer' than other stacking cups. They are pricey but I really think they're worth it as they last for such a long time. Lovely present or just great for parents who wonder what they can get to keep their baby occupied.

That's My Baby!
That's My Baby!
by Pol O'Conghaile

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, moving and fully recognisable - for both sexes!, 20 Sept. 2007
This review is from: That's My Baby! (Paperback)
This is a tender and very funny epistle to the author's unborn child. A journey through pregnancy on the part of the father-to-be. What saves it from being naff is that the author is a thirty-something journalist with a genuine interest in the world around him and not some sentimental moocher just waiting for life to start happening. He has a life and it's about to be changed forever! I laughed and cried my way through this - partly in recognition and partly in sympathy for him and his partner as they negotiate the world-changing event that the little blue line on the test heralds. Ignore the picture on the cover - it doesn't do the book justice!