Profile for Liz Gardiner > Reviews

Content by Liz Gardiner

Liz Gardiner "lizzieg" (Wales)

And Furthermore
And Furthermore
by Dame Judi Dench
Price: 17.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a grande dame - more a national treasure, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
Who couldn't fail to be entertained by Judi Dench. A delightful and insightful book which shows her great good humour and approach to life.

Rick Stein's Spain [DVD]
Rick Stein's Spain [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rick Stein
Price: 7.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A paean of praise to Spain, its people and its cuisine., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's Spain [DVD] (DVD)
I watched part of the series sitting with my son-in-law in Spain. We loved the programme and particularly the episode where we heard "Hambre, hambre, hambre" sung by local men in Galicia!

Patagonia [DVD]
Patagonia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Rhys
Offered by The World Cinema Store
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and insightful, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Patagonia [DVD] (DVD)
I thought I knew something of Welsh descendants in Patagonia but this story brought it to life. Marta Lubos gives a stunning performance in this gentle and heartwarming story.

The Last Runaway
The Last Runaway
by Tracy Chevalier
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and educational, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Last Runaway (Paperback)
This book was recommended by a Quaker friend (not because of her Quaker beliefs - more because it's a darn good read). I learnt more about slavery and the actions of some members of the Quakers to fight against it.
I also learned a lot about quilting! If you like quilting you should visit The American Museum in Bath where they have the most glorious display of quilts from the period in which this book is set.

Paul Flynn: The Unusual Suspect
Paul Flynn: The Unusual Suspect
by Paul Flynn
Price: 17.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener of a book, 4 Mar 2014
I confess… I chose a signed copy of this book as my prize in a raffle. I live near Newport and new a little about Paul Flynn but this book opened my eyes to the real Westminster and its political shenanigans.
Paul Flynn book is a mixture of outrage, wicked humour and despair and is, at times, very personal.
I'm so glad I picked it and look forward to reading more of his books.

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: Live on Stage [DVD]
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: Live on Stage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Humphrey Lyttelton
Price: 6.43

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, 8 Feb 2009
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: Live on Stage
THis is a must for anyone who ever listened to the inimitable Humph and his band of merry men in the long-running radio programme. All our favourites are there - one song to the tune of another, charades (inclding the Lionel Blair and Una Stubbs one) and yes - Mornington Crescent! I didn't think I'd enjoy watching the programme but it is a delight and the producers deserve a huge thank you for giving us the opportunity of seeing it all happen.
For those who weren't fortunate to hear the originals on radio - try Radio 7 as they repeat the programmes once a week. But, in any case, buy this DVD!