Profile for S. Taylor > Reviews

Content by S. Taylor

S. Taylor (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in what I thought would be a good book., 17 July 2014
I've not read any of Rowling's other books, but decided I would give this a try. The story isn't bad as such, but everything seems to be overly long winded, and I found myself getting bored on occasions. I like chapters to be short and punchy, but it sometimes seemed I would read for hours with hardly anything adding to the story, like a bad american TV show.

Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles Book 1)
Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't know what to expect, but loved it., 27 Jun 2014
I think this is the quickest I've ever got through a book, as I just wanted to know what happened next. I liked how the chapters are arranged so that events are seen through the eyes of all the major characters. Looking forward to finding out what happens in the later books.

Wars of the Roses: Stormbird
Wars of the Roses: Stormbird

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 Jun 2014
Can't wait for the next installment.

I read this while on holiday in the Lake District, and it really took over the holiday, I couldn't put it down!

I have previously read the authors books about Khan which were also very good. The history and the characters are really brought to life. I've never had an interest in the Wars of the Roses before, but now I've been converted and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Porterhouse Blue: (Porterhouse Blue Series 1)
Porterhouse Blue: (Porterhouse Blue Series 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 8 Jun 2014
I wasn't sure what to expect as a first time reader of Tom Sharpe. Unfortunately i wasn't that impressed. I thought i was in for a laugh out loud read but i only managed a few insignificant titters. Not sure if i would read any of the authors other books based on this experience.

The Four Streets
The Four Streets

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to get going, but overall a good read., 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Four Streets (Kindle Edition)
Not usually the kind of book I would read, but took a chance as it was so cheap and top of the best sellers list. I wasn't expecting much from the author, but was pleasantly surprised. Although it was slow to get going, I enjoyed it.

A Day at the Office
A Day at the Office

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't convinced to start with but gets better., 8 May 2014
It takes a while to get into, but once you get into the second third it doe get better and quite a fun read. As a bloke wasn't expecting to enjoy it but was pleasantly surprised. purchased via the Galaxy offer.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't really work it out, 5 Feb 2014
I couldn't really work this book out. It's a childrens fantasy story, but written for adults. As such, it's a very strange read.

Overall I was a bit underwhelmed after hearing that Gaiman was such a good writer. Maybe I will try one of his earlier books one day.
Probably not a good one for a first time reader I guess.

David Jason: My Life
David Jason: My Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but does get a bit hard going, 27 Jan 2014
I am glad I read David's life story, but I did feel like it was a bit too long as it got a bit hard going in the middle. it was interesting to hear about his early life, and when things got interesting for him in the late seventies, but I thought he went into too much detail about the period in between. I recommend you read it, but you could probably skip a couple of chapters in the middle, and not miss much to be honest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 14 Jan 2014
I've received one of these as a gift, and it's a great little gadget. I previously used a tablet to read on, and as its quite old, its pretty heavy and uncomfortable to hold, plus you can hardly read it in the sunshine (what sunshine I hear you ask). I've no issues with the hardware, no shadows on the screen. Only downside is I sometimes turn pages by accident.

I'm reading much more than I ever did, and I check the deals almost every day. The books are (sometimes) a bargain, and I've been introduced to several new authors as a result.

Looking forward to see what the future holds for e-book technology.

The Lost Symbol: (Robert Langdon Book 3)
The Lost Symbol: (Robert Langdon Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars First Dan Brown book I read., 16 Sep 2013
After watching the movies of De Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, I decided to give the next in the series a try, even though the reviews on Amazon weren't great. I actually quite enjoyed it. I like the style of keeping chapters short, which kept the storyline pretty pacey. I think it's the quickest I have ever read a book. Granted the last few chapters could have been condensed a little though. Still thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Page: 1 | 2