Profile for Liz Mint > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Grafica Della Strada: The Signs of Italy
Grafica Della Strada: The Signs of Italy
by Louise Fili

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite typography book so far (and I have a lot), 29 Aug 2014
There's a little explanatory text, but mainly this book is just stuffed full of gorgeous Italian typography in the form of photographs of signs taken from all over Italy by the Italian American graphic designer Louise Fili. My favourite typography book so far (and I have a lot). Highly recommended for all typophiles everywhere.

The North Face Womens Havoc Mid GTX XCR W Snow Boots
The North Face Womens Havoc Mid GTX XCR W Snow Boots
Price: £86.06 - £109.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Small, 18 Feb 2014
They look good, feel light and the leather toes and rubber toe caps for extra waterproofing are a great idea. Unfortunately the sizing is strange. I've never taken anything larger than a size 4, yet these are way too tight and there are no half sizes available. Shame as they were just what I was looking for.

Depression Free For Life: How to Stop Feeling Depressed and Start Living Life to the Full (Depression, depressed, free, feeling, mood, happy, positive, negative, thoughts)

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a joke?, 25 Sep 2013
Reads like a badly written junior school project. For instance, according to the author, a trigger for depression could be "Ending of a TV/Anime/Cartoon program - this may raise a couple of eyebrows out there but this is can be a legitimate concern" and apparently "There are much type of treatments and medical attentions right now which have already proven positive results" (the bad grammar is hers not mine). And so it goes on in much the same vein for the rest of the book. There's absolutely no useful advice here, but the nonsensical writing might give you a bit of a laugh. Well at least it didn't cost me anything.

Nairns Gluten Free Porridge Oats 450 g (Pack of 6)
Nairns Gluten Free Porridge Oats 450 g (Pack of 6)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitter aftertaste, 11 Sep 2013
I've bought these oats before and thought they were the best gluten-free oats available. However, the last batch I bought had a horrible bitter after taste. Every packet was the same. They're not cheap, so I won't risk wasting my money again.

Total Chi Fitness - Meridian Stretching Exercises for Ultimate Fitness, Performance and Health (Chi Powers for Modern Age Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 16 Aug 2013
Brilliant little book with just the right amount of detail. I've had chronic fatigue on and off for years, currently going through a bad patch, and these exercises were easy enough for me to complete. I feel refreshed and energized afterwards, so I'm holding out high hopes that these exercises can help me improve my health over time. All in all, really good value for money.

Dog Car Guard Pet Boot Barrier Universal Adjustable
Dog Car Guard Pet Boot Barrier Universal Adjustable
Offered by Mikedavies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 25 Jun 2012
We put this together without too much trouble, and I have to disagree with the unfavourable review. I can find no fault with it. It fits perfectly, and works perfectly in both our family cars, so now I've ordered another one so we don't have to keep moving it from one to the other. The quality is surprisingly good, especially considering the price.

Mora Erik Frost 106 wood carving knife
Mora Erik Frost 106 wood carving knife
Offered by Springfields

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wood carving knife, 10 May 2012
I bought this knife as an addition to a collection of knives I have for wood carving. This is my favourite by far. It arrived beautifully sharpened, and the blade holds its edge really well. I use a strop or a high grit waterstone to refine it now and again. The blade is made of laminated steel, and the core of the blade is hardened to 61 - 62 Rockwell' (very hard). It has a nice shaped birch wood handle which is easy to handle. The sheath is nothing special, but serves its purpose. I'll definitely buy more Mora knives in the future.

Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
by Geneen Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 12 April 2012
This book really spoke to me and from the first page I was riveted. It may be a little strange and hard to digest if you're not already familiar with the concept of mindfulness, or being in the present moment, and I would recommend that if you aren't familiar with this, to also read books covering mindfulness, such as those by Eckhart Tolle and Thich Nhat Hanh. This book really brought it all together for me though. Geneen is an excellent and funny writer and besides the fact that her observations about human thought and behaviour are spot on, she frequently made me laugh out loud. Highly recommended.

The Runaway
The Runaway

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Runaway (Kindle Edition)
It started off reasonably well, but I lost interest about quarter of the way through. The writing is really awful in parts - the dialogue unbelievable and the 'point of view' jumps from one character to another which makes it difficult to empathize with any one particular character. I might have been able to ignore this if the story had been strong enough to hold me, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Dark Matter
Dark Matter
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dark Matter (Hardcover)
I've been fascinated by Svalbard and arctic Norway since visiting a few years ago. It was therefore the setting of the story which made me buy the book initially. I wasn't disappointed, Paver's descriptions of the landscape, wildlife and sounds of Svalbard and the unique atmosphere of the place were excellent.

If I'm going to be critical, I would agree with other reviewers who've noted that the characters lacked depth. I think that this element of Paver's writing was more suited to a younger audience, adult readers may expect more complexity and depth to their characters. I couldn't really engage with anyone besides Jack and I didn't feel any more than a passing interest in the relationship between Gus and Jack (which I think was intended to be a major theme of the story). However, I was really taken up with Jack's developing bond with Isaak the husky, which, to a person who loves dogs, seemed well observed. In the end, besides the spookiness and suspense, it was this more than anything that kept me riveted.

After having said that, any lack of character development didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story at all. I loved the building suspense and was totally gripped from the start. I never finish a book just for the sake of it, and I've lost count of the number of books I've half finished, but this one kept me glued to the end. Disappointingly (I wanted it to last longer!) I finished reading it in a day.

In summary, although Dark Matter has some minor faults, I'd say it was the most enjoyable read I've had in a long time.

Page: 1 | 2