Profile for alexpickup1 > Reviews

Break a Leg
Break a Leg
by Lawrence Pickup

5.0 out of 5 stars I am still biased, 2 Oct 2005
This review is from: Break a Leg (Paperback)
But you would be too if you knew how good this play was. You see I'm not just biased towards my brother, I'm also biased towards stuff that's good, so I'm doubly biased.

Funeral
Funeral
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The only new band worth hearing, 22 Jun 2005
This review is from: Funeral (Audio CD)
After seeing them on Jools Holland I had an unfamiliar experience. They were a new band... and I actually liked it. This is literally the first album by a new band that I've bought for about five years. They aren't my usual by any means, but they're new... a genuinely new sound. Even better they seem slightly removed from the world, from the crappy modern music world that is, and have held on to their personalities.
Thrilling, surprising and beautiful.

Emotions Revealed: Understanding Faces and Feelings
Emotions Revealed: Understanding Faces and Feelings
by Paul Ekman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but repetitive, 22 Jun 2005
An interesting addition to the growing modern catalogue of work on the emotions. An interesting and thorough book but perhaps a little repetitive. It feels as though it could have been done in half the pages but then he couldn't have warranted his hardback.
The use of pictures though is an important addition to emotion research, and helps to illustrate the idea of evolutionary, homologous, instincts.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2010 10:34 AM BST

Naming and Necessity (Library of Philosophy & Logic)
Naming and Necessity (Library of Philosophy & Logic)
by Saul A. Kripke
Price: 17.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Critical knowledge, well written, 22 Jun 2005
Kripke's work on naming and reference was a revolution, this book is essential if you need, as I did, to fully understand the roots of kinds and reference. I am perhaps being mean with my four stars, but I believe him to be somewhat wordy, not being quite as articulate as he is capable. I dislike any form academic inaccessability and Kripke is guilty of writing, in places, only for his peers.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the nay-sayers, 22 Jun 2005
I'm not going to insult anyone by reviewing this. It's a beautiful book. Some people have asked where's the story? They missed the point. It's the craft, the magic, the depth, the beauty, the way it draws you in and makes a world. The only book I have lived in since I was 12 reading the Lord Of The Rings.
Magnificent, if you like this style.

Science and Spirituality: The Volatile Connection
Science and Spirituality: The Volatile Connection
by David Marcus Knight
Price: 27.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Reads as a novel, teaches like a tutor, 23 Dec 2003
This is an excellent piece of work. Comprehensively covering the key topics from Angels to Darwin, and Buckland to Davy. He moves seamlessly between aspects of the book and Knight's relaxed lecturing style crosses over into his literature. Science & Spirituality is laced with quiet wit and ultimately is a charming read.
I can't recommend this highly enough, either for the academic, or the curious layman.

The Ring [DVD] [2003]
The Ring [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never been scared of a horror before..., 8 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
...but this is something else. Sat in Boldon cinema surrounded by enormous geordie blokes I thought I'd try and save face by not jumping or hiding behind my hands. I didn't think it'd be a problem either as most horror films are obvious and long winded. But then after about only fifteen minutes I look to one side and see a guy with arms wider than my head slunk back in his seat peering between his fingers. I ain't kidding, you have to watch this, I've been that excited and terified by a film.
I dare you to watch on dvd on your own in an empty house... you'd be a braver soul than I.