Profile for Justin Green > Reviews

Content by Justin Green

Justin Green (Halesowen, England)

Twitch
Twitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre Mashing Brilliance, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Twitch (Kindle Edition)
Twitch is a shy and rather unfortunate individual.
Slightly built, of a nervous disposition, and with a facial tic, his life situation is made ever more disturbing via the presence of an abusive stepfather.
After eventually reaching the point of being able to take no more, he flees the family home and seeks out life on the streets.
Homelessness brings further heartache, until the intervention from a friendly soul called Lisa.
With his newfound companion at his side, he begins to find hope and a reason to live.
They seek out a squat, and are about to become involved in a peculiar community who have some interesting values and approaches to life.

I don't really have the superlatives at my disposal to be able to accurately represent my feelings towards this book.
It's a genre masher and no mistake. Captivatingly and touchingly human, the author nails down his readers attention with a heartfelt depiction of the traumas suffered by abuse. When Twitch flees for freedom and begins to find further hardship on the streets, the sheer hopelessness of his situation may have instigated some readers to flee themselves for the unrelenting darkness, but hope comes in at the perfect moment, like a knight in shining armour and bearing a sandwich, in the guise of the wonderful Lisa.
And from here on in, Stevens adds delicious morsels of sci-fi and fantasy to ensure that the incredible story that this most certainly is stays just that; and as someone who is prone to getting a bit cynical about the sci-fi and fantasy genres, I'm happy to report that every scene and storyline is kept within the realms of the believable.
Only one more thing to add to this review, it's a hugely controversial read. It's would be remiss of me to venture into spoiler territory so I won't, but suffice to say this is a multi-levelled commentary on the mirky underworld of class A drugs.
Genuinely flawless, bring on the sequel.

Hatred for the Hollow
Hatred for the Hollow

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, disturbing and just fabulous, 30 Dec. 2012
Stevens writes with all the panache and experience of an established novelist.

Hatred for the Hollow combines 4 apparently separate storylines, each of them containing more than a healthy dose of darkness, all of which captivate and fascinate by virtue of the authors ability to make horrific situations very real indeed in the readers head.
The book blends elements of fantasy with stunning psychological analysis, and constantly dangles a large and juicy 'what happens next' carrot throughout.

This is a piece of literature that the term 'a great page turner' was made for.

Fans of Maeve Binchy and Danielle Steele may well baulk at the darkness and severity of Stevens' work, but for readers with a penchant for the grimier sides of life, this really is a must.

Investing £1.03 for a book as good as this really is a no-brainer. Just buy it.

Rasta Lion of Judah Pants Brown - Small
Rasta Lion of Judah Pants Brown - Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Rasta Lion of Judah Pants - COMFY!!, 19 Oct. 2011
At the risk of sounding like a very old person indeed, my goodness these bottoms are SOOO comfortable.

I've actually purchased them for a fancy dress party. I tried them on and didn't want to take them off. Lovely soft cotton and stylish too.

Great product, great seller. Thanks very much

Superunknown
Superunknown
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars The Strangest Reaction I've Ever Had To An Album, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Superunknown (Audio CD)
I purchased this album in the mode of 'pin the tail on the donkey'. I knew of Soundgarden, knew they were a band of huge repute, grungey type and from the era when music was the most special for me, so I took a flyer.

I have never had an album give me a headache before.

Now I'll finger dance and tap my feet to the likes of Carcass and Boltthrower very happily indeed, so it's not like I'm some classical music enthusiast who just thinks anything with a guitar is noise. This album has a very unique quality, and although I find it quite literally unpleasant and yes, painful to listen to, that simply has to be commended.

I've analysed it briefly out of some strange fascination at the 'album that gave me a headache'. I'm no muso so forgive my sketchy and possibly inaccurate description but it's complex music being created here. It sounds like several layers of guitars, bass guitars at work, creating songs that have a similar undertone throughout - the 'grunge' label is a sloppy yet somewhat accurate one.

I'm not going to slate this album, I'm sure Soundgarden are a fine band. And they will always be in my memory now for obvious reasons!

Flavors Of Entanglement (2 Cd Set)
Flavors Of Entanglement (2 Cd Set)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Right Mixed Bag, 11 Jun. 2008
I was kind of relieved that other reviewers felt the same as me on Amazon. After giving Flavors a full frank first listen i was left distinctly underwhelmed, i scanned the net to see what other Alanis fans thought and everyone seemed to love it except me. Now seemingly not and rightfully so in my opinion. 3 more total hearty listenings it's grown on me a tad.

Quite simply this collaboration with Mr Sigsworth either really flows and hits the mark or falls sadly short to the point of being cringeworthy on some tracks. Citizen Of The Planet, Straitjacket, Moratorium and the frankly hideous Version of Violence (which sounds like it's been copied and pasted from a particularly cheesy episode of 70s Dr Who) are examples of failed overtly commercial experiments. They leave you as flat and empty as a hedgehog on the M1.
If you're utilising demographics they have to be right.

On the other hand, Underneath, In Praise of the Vulnerable Man, Torch, Giggle Again For No Reason and Tapes are very very fine songs indeed in the opinion of this humble opinionater, as good as anything she's done. They retain the Alanis uniqueness and the commerciality doesnt detract from the quality which it does on the aforementioned tracks.

I'm still very much looking forward to seeing her in Birmingham, i just hope that Versions of Violence and a few others are consigned to elsewhere.

So Called Chaos
So Called Chaos
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars No More Whinging!, 20 May 2004
This review is from: So Called Chaos (Audio CD)
Not one person has mentioned how happy she is!
Don't get me wrong, i love her for all her deep soul wrenching but she's obviously reached a place where she's utterly happy with herself and her lot. It's quite a story in itself, from the cutting, angry Jagged Little Pill to the contentment and wisdom of So Called Chaos.
Only downpoint is the over-production.

Brave
Brave

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 7 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Brave (Audio CD)
Quite simply, this is the album i would take to my desert island.
If you are unmoved by this you are either shallow, a housebrick or mad. Music that dances over your spine, lyrics that stir up your soul and a voice that is as passionate and hauntingly beautiful as you could wish for.
Yeah i quite like it.

Rant In E-Minor
Rant In E-Minor
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 22 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Rant In E-Minor (Audio CD)
Does anyone ever write a bad review about the guy ? Well guess what - I'm not going to either.
He was intensely angry with the world and yet hysterically funny but I personally am convinced he just used comedy as a tool for his preaching. And hell do i listen. It's so refreshing to hear alternative views of life conveyed with such passion, humour and above all truthfulness.
Everyone on the planet should buy this CD.
Yeah i think it's quite good

I am Me, I am Free: The Robots Guide to Freedom
I am Me, I am Free: The Robots Guide to Freedom
by David Icke

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 18 Feb. 2001
If your mind is open enough to consider the content of this book even remotely possible you will be simply astonished. The book covers many topics from the control placed on us by the system we live in, the incredible abuse of power gained by organisations such as the freemasons. If this guy is as mad as the media would have you believe then I'm a housebrick. If you've got as far as reading this review you're obviously toying with the idea of purchasing it. Just do it.