Profile for Jennifer Rickard > Reviews

A Million Little Pieces
A Million Little Pieces
by James Frey

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it matter?, 20 Feb. 2006
I feel that people who slate James Frey for fabricating some details are missing the point of A Million Little Pieces as I was more directly moved by the essence of the book.
It is about his journey from the darkest point in his life to self-discovery. He makes a very interesting and valid point about the AA’s twelve steps programme and the logic and simplicity of making choices. I do not think he was trying to boast about his experiences, so much as to get a point across about his beliefs and what he discovered about himself. Consequently I shall forgive him this, merely because through what he says whether fiction or fact I have learnt a great deal more than I ever have from picking up a self-help book!
If people bring in to question the accuracy of truth in a biography or auto-biography, there opens a great precipice of questions. How can we distinguish fact from fiction when memory alters fact on a daily basis and the media alters fact on an hourly basis? I think it’s sad that Frey wasn’t more honest about events in the first place, but I can understand why he did it and A Million Little Pieces will always hold pride of place on my bookshelf because it is an oringal, intriguing and thought provoking read.
Plus I do feel that James Frey deserves a bit of respect for standing up and letting himself be counted. He has received his criticism graciously and openly acknowledges his responsibility in what has happened.
I urge you to read it and judge for yourself!

Nite Versions
Nite Versions
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funked up..., 13 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Nite Versions (Audio CD)
Soulwax a.k.a 2 many DJ’s, that confusing posse who are not quite a band, not quite DJ’s (they are in fact both) have done it again. Ever since seeing them play one of the dirtiest funkiest electro sets I’ve ever heard, and successfully turn Cardiff Union into a sweaty grimy dance haven, I’ve been on a Soulwax mega-mission, hunting down tracks left right and centre. You may have been disappointed with ‘Any Minute Now’ released in August of last year as a follow up to their huge success ‘As Heard on Radio Soulwax’, but this re-released, re-cut, re-mashed, and re-energised album, aptly named ‘Nite Versions’ will definitely re-work them back in to your good books.
‘Nite Versions’ is a masterful compilation of their characteristic electro-techno sounds boiled up with some proper good electric guitar and some seriously phat bass lines. Like a cross between Tiga and Duran Duran, these tracks harness some momentously deep galvanisation of the dance variety. Twisting through palisades of the dance music genres, this compilation is a representation of all things we love about Soulwax and more.‘Nite Versions’ reads like a juicy novel, from the re-blended version of Daft Punks ‘Teachers’ to the reminiscent cut of their house smash NY Excuse caressing its way through NY Lipps then gently coaxing its way through the final track, ‘Another Excuse’.
For all the house and breaks, electro, and techno fans out there (and everyone else besides) i seriously recommend this album!