Profile for Mabuse > Reviews

OPPO BDP103EU 3D Blu Ray Player
OPPO BDP103EU 3D Blu Ray Player
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Sent one piece of my equipment into retirement, 14 Mar. 2013
I bought the Oppo player, because I read many very good reviews about it and wanted to have a player which has the latest features and is also able to play audio and video files from a DLNA server.
I own a Denon DVD 3800 BD which cost 5 years ago about 2000 €. But this one cannot play SACDs and also has no network connection. Therefore I thought, it would be time for an upgrade and tested them.
The players are equipped with two different chips for upscaling and picture improvement. The Oppo has the Qdeo Kyoto G-2H video chip and the Denon features the at it's time famous HQV Realta T2 chip.
I compared Blu-Ray and DVD on both players and found them quite similar. Especially the DVD upscaling was nearly on par. For Blu-Ray, I found the picture of the Denon slightly better - more sharp and objects had clearer edges. But this was really not much. But what surprised me most was a difference in the sound. I used HDMI outputs, and this should not happen, because the sound is send as bit-stream via the HDMI cable and decoded in the AVR. Funny, but the Oppo thickened up the bass compared to the Denon - same HDMI cable type, same Blu-Ray disk.
However, this is only of the capabilities of the Oppo, I has numerous Internet features and offers beside DLNA also CIFS/SMB access to network shares. But it only supports SMB 2.0 and not 3.0 like e.g. Windows 8. You have to change the 'secure negotiate' in the PC or server. You can find more information about this under support.microsoft.com/kb/2686098. After changing this, it worked for me. This feature is 'experimental' as Oppo states in the manual.
Unpacking the Oppo is also a very nice because it comes in its own carrying bag, has a WiFi USB stick with USB stand which works perfect - it seems to be 802.11n - 300 Mbit/s. WiFi works also in my case - short distance between access point and Oppo - with transferring HD video from my server. It plays nearly everything you throw at it. I had no problems at all.

The Oppo has also many in- and outputs like one HDMI input in front and two HDMI out. I haven't tested it yet, but it is said on the Internet forums that the Qdeo chip is permanently on, on HDMI 1, whereas HDMI 2 has only upscaling for DVDs enabled but no picture improvement. Some people say, that HDMI 2 has a better picture than 1 and on 1 they set the sharpness to '1' instead of '0'. Please check it our yourself.
The remote is also very good and has a lot of buttons, I am not using, because I use a programmable remote. Nothing fancy about the Oppo remote, good quality and many direct buttons for netFlix etc.
Well overall, I am very happy with the Oppo but I will also keep my Denon player. If you compare the prices with the Denon, I would say, that you can buy very good quality for a good price today with the Oppo.
If you want to make your Oppo after you bought it region free, check the inside first - you have to open it for this anyway. Usually these additional modules are plugged into a socket on the digital board on the right side, seen from the front of the player. My player didn't have this socket and Oppo UK confirmed to me that there was a circuit board layout change. I would recommend that you first check this, before you order the module.
I bought it via Amazon from QuantumAV and can only recommend them. Very fast delivery, even to Germany, very good customer service.

My ratings in relation to the price:

Build quality: ****
Picture quality: ****+
Sound quality: ****
Features: ***** (3 HDMI, analog outs, Internet, local network, SACD, plays nearly everything you throw at it)

I would give an overall rating of 4+ but because this is not possible 4 stars.

Love Exposure [Blu-ray]
Love Exposure [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Takahiro Nishijima

5.0 out of 5 stars Difference between Blu-Ray and DVD - BIG, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Love Exposure [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First I rented the DVD and after watching, bought the Blu-Ray.

Amazing and big differences. The picture quality in general is better, more detailed but also details Sion Sono wanted to show and are part of his artistic expression. E.G. one scene when Yu confesses his sins to this father in the church, always when Yu is shown, the picture is blurred, his father is perfectly in focus.
Or the sound: DTS HD MA and man there is bass on this track - also as an artistic expression, a very disturbing sound, no explosions.

All this adds in my understanding strongly to experience Sion Sono's ideas completely.

Thank you to HD and Blu-Ray.

The movie on Blu-Ray really makes a difference compared to the DVD. For those who like this film, I can strongly recommend the Blu-Ray. For the DVD, you are missing a lot.

James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous box, gorgeous quality of BDs, 2 Oct. 2012
I was really surprised by this beautifully made box, the disks separated in two books with very nice and fitting pictures for each two disks page.
One book contains the movies from 1962 to 1981 and the other the ones from 1983 to 2012. There is also a placeholder for 'Skyfall' this year.
Only one bonus disk, but there are still all bonus features on the disks themselves, which had been also present on the Ultimate DVD collection.

This is now really the ultimate BD collection, I was waiting for. Beautifully made, makes me very happy as a Bond fan and is in my understanding worth the money paid.

Also, I think that we will have some time, until the 4k version will be released on what media ever.

Strong recommendation to buy.

All disks contain German audio tracks, except 'Casino Royale' - service for the buyers from Germany :-)

Noein Complete Series Boxset [2007] [DVD]
Noein Complete Series Boxset [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kazuki Akane
Offered by RevisionNet

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth to watch and own..., 8 Feb. 2011
May contain spoilers - be warned.

...because you have to watch it more than one time. This is due to the intertwined story of time and dimensional travel with the coming age story of five teenagers in our dimension. These intertwined stories really makes an interesting storyline alltogether, because it always keeps one leg in a pretty normal teenager anime storyline, where it is exploring a very weird and strange storyline in the time travel, inter-dimensional travel part.
You have to wait a bit - three, four episodes - until the story really unfolds and it kept me sitting and watching all episodes on two evenings. The scenery is wide and epic. Hakodate - the Japanese town on Hokkaido, where most of the story takes places - is represented in epic, very detailed and beautiful pictures throughout the series. You can see that by watching a three part visit of Haruko Kudo - the main actresses voice - with director Kazuki Akane, contained on the first three disks of the set as an Extra.
In my opinion the story comes to live by the interaction of the five protagonists and adds a lot of action by telling the story of two other dimensions - Lacrima and Shangri-La. This is - in my understanding - a very unique concept of anime, which I haven't seen before. That makes this series outstanding for me, despite some drawbacks. This is first of all, that the origin of one of the most important plot pieces, the 'Dragon Torque' is not explained in the movies. Also it's powers are somehow a mystery throughout the series. It materializes around the neck of Haruaka and than does some wonders. However, it's origin or the involvement of Hauraka's father is never explained.
Also the last episode of the series, does not contain any surprises - at least for me. But it contains really epic landscapes and battles, worth to see.
Also you can ask yourself: What is the reason behind it or what does it mean? There is no answer.
But the character development during the series makes up for that.
All in all, an excellent anime, with excellent sound - make sure to choose the 5.1 soundtrack - and good picture quality. The music is great and really adds to the story.

There is not so much about Quantum Physics, than you might assume, because lfiting people from one dimension to another by a rope, is not so much Quantum Physics, in my understanding.

Highly recommended, just watch the story unfold and accept what you see, without asking too many questions.

Vengeance Is Mine [Masters of Cinema] [Blu-ray] [1979]
Vengeance Is Mine [Masters of Cinema] [Blu-ray] [1979]
Dvd ~ Ken Ogata

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful movie your won't find these days, 7 Jan. 2011
This is a very powerful movie featuring moments, I found really breathtaking. You don't find this kind of moments in movies today. Ken Ogata as the serial killer Iwao Enokizu is just nearly the best performance I ever saw. Not to mention the many female actresses starting with his wife played by Mitsuko Baisho, Haru - Mayumi Ogawa, the daughter of the Inn keeper and her mother Nijiko Kiokawa as Hisano Asano.
What we see in this movie, is a broken man, broken by his family and the relations. It starts on Goto islands, where his father - a catholic - is punished by the Japanese marine in 1938 and his son strongly opposes and calls his father a 'weak man'. Later on his wife played by Mitsuko Baisho, is in love to his father instead of him, causing even more problems.
You can imagine, this is a very bad starting point for Iwao Enokizu.

This movie is two hoursa and twenty minutes long, but I found it very entertaining and it kept me watching. The story is told brillantly and Shohei Imamura does an excellent job. You will see, watching this movie.

The movie is really set in the feeling and time of late 70s in Japan. This doesn't match the times the movie plays in some times, but it is OK.

The picture quality is varying. Sometimes you see a very grainy picture but most times, it is very good. The sound is AC3 192 kb/s and the picture is an average of 30 Mb/s. This is absolutely OK for me after seeing what was done of the Alien Anthology and the picture quality there.

I highly appreciate the work of Eureka! and their Masters of Cinema series. I also bought Metropolis the fully restored version and was not disapointed at all. Go on Eureka!, I fully support you.

Highly recommended for all cinema lovers. A wonderful - I would even say - masterpiece of Japanese cinema.

Ghost In The Shell Innocence [Blu-ray]
Ghost In The Shell Innocence [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Oshii
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars If you find this movie mediocre - don't read, 8 Sept. 2009
If you think this movie is average - skip my review. I guess nobody will spent the additional money for a Blu-Ray if he/she owns the DVD and find this movie just average.

The Blu-Ray version is an eye and ear opener for the lover of this Anime. Not so much an ear opener but really an eye opener. I didn't expect too much but I am overwhelmed by the details, I never saw on the DVD version. Also the contrast is different on the Blu-Ray version. I always found the scenes in Aramaki's office too dark on the DVD. On the Blu-Ray you can see every detail in the room. Some scenes, the hallway, Batou walks through to the 'crazy robot' at the beginning give a very good 3D impression. Especially the 3D CGI rendered scenes, give a very good 3D picture.
For me it was like watching a new movie, because so many details could not been seen on the DVD. Also a good example is the police station, Batou and Togusa go, to visit the robot expert robot Harraway. There are several scenes showing a large police station from top view which now show extreme details of the police station showing many people and objects on the ground floor. Amazing what kind of detail is shown in this movie.
On the other hand the picture is not really sharp and looks as if there is some softener used to soften the contours of objects. Also you can see some very fine grain, all over the picture. But even though, there is so much more details to be seen, it's more than worth it.

I often watched the DVD but this HD version is really amazing and a great improvement.

The sound is DTS-MA but 'only' with 768 Kbit/s - far away from the maximum rate of 25 Mb/s. But it is also an improvement compared to the DVD.
The languages on my BD are English, Japanese, Spanish and Catalan (?). Because I watch this movie only in Japanese with English sub-titles, I don't care. The English sub-titles are substantially different compared to the DVD version. It must be a new translation but some how a bit weird. Locus Solus is now only Rox - if I remember correctly.
Extras are the 'Making Of', a commentary of Mamoru Oshii and a face-to-face interview with him.

I only care about the movie and I think, this is the best version ever, even better than in the cinema.

For the fans of this movie - highly recommended.

PS: I couldn't find this movie and posted my review for the US version. This is the right one, I own and review.

Ghost in the Shell, Vol. 2: Innocence [Blu-ray] [2004] [US Import]
Ghost in the Shell, Vol. 2: Innocence [Blu-ray] [2004] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read - if you think this movie is mediocre..., 8 Sept. 2009

BUT - if you love this movie, than it's worth every Penny you spent on this Blu-Ray Version. I pre-ordered this movie at Amzon UK and waited a long time. However, this version is not listed anymore and I received it today.
Very funny, was I the only person who ordered it? Never mind. To avoid misunderstandings, it was exactly delivered on-time by Amazon UK, I just ordered some months ago.

For the fans of this movie - highly recommended.

Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - SAC 2nd GIG - Complete Collection [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but some minor issues, 4 Mar. 2009
Yes, 2nd GIG is darker than SAC and yes, the stories are as good and maybe even better than the first one.
However, I have some issues with second gig.
First of all the title song, which is again from Yoko Kanno and Origa but now with somebody else, which name I don't remember. This is - IMO - far away from the title song in SAC. Pity but it's not really important.
What I also found a bit disturbing is that in eisode 17 'Red Data' Motoko Kusanagi - the major - is offering sex to a young boy in a hotel room in Taipeh, the capital of Taiwan. Well, this didn't happen in SAC at all. Maybe this was a tribute to the young boys, the target group in Japan? I don't know but it destroyed the cool picture of 'the major' to me.
There is also something similar in SAC with women, hinting on a lesbian aspect of the major. However, in 2nd GIG this is far more explicit but again, who cares - perfectly ok for an age rating of 15.
Just, it puzzled me a bit.
Last, the drawing style seems the same but seemed less detailed for me in some scenes.
OK, that's enough now from me about some small issues I have with this series.

In 2nd GIG the Tachikoma are also more serious with drug abuse and turning bad - getting black stripes and spots over their bodies. They have a very funny appearance in their short film after Batou returns from Germany and brings them - guess what - some beer. Unfortunately they mistake it for 'German natrual oil' and get drunk - they get 'pink lips' above their robot arms, when drunk. Really funny to watch.
In this sense a very good continuation of SAC.
I really love 2nd GIG and highly recommend it.
That's why I am giving five stars. I cannot stop watching and I am eager to get more and more.

Who was watching SAC and the Ghost in the Shell movies and liked it, this is an absolute must.

Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - SAC 1st GIG - Complete Box Set [DVD]
Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - SAC 1st GIG - Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Masamune Shirow

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story but a lot of talk, 4 Mar. 2009
I loved the second Ghost in the shell movie; it really pushed the cybernetic brain and cyborg concept to the limit.
But I have to admit, that I understand this movie so much better after watching SAC.
SAC is an excellent series if you like a-bit-difficult-to-explain Sci-Fi. But after some episodes, it is easier to understand and it is really fun to watch. You have to pay attention - I watched it with the original Japanese sound with subtitles - because you have to read quite fast sometimes - especially if you are not a native English speaker like me :-).
But the stories of nearly every episode are really worth to watch. As the title says, each episode is a Stand Alone Complex but surely connected. So there is a story arc but each episodes shows you new facets and features different protagonists but the red line is still there.
I found the story highly political - more than in the Pat-Labor movies, related to actual and fictional elements of Japanese politics.
What I loved most, beside the excellent storytelling, is the intro song from Yoko Kanno with the voice of Origa. When I watched the intro first and listened to the song, I was carried away. An excellent song, I loved to listen every time. Intriguing, soft, battle mode... all this in one song. Just one word: Amazing.
Also worth mentioning are the Tachikoma - medium sized robots, this can carry one person of `section 9'. They got a small feature related to the episode of about 3 minutes after each episode. Very funny and entertaining.
I own the Ghost in the Shell movies for a long time but I am glad that I bought SAC. I can highly recommend this series to everyone who likes the Ghost in the Shell movies. They are only loosely connected but complement each other very well.
Have fun, it's worth it and a great value.