Profile for Shirls > Reviews

Content by Shirls

Shirls

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Rejected Writers' Book Club (Southlea Bay)
The Rejected Writers' Book Club (Southlea Bay)

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming Holiday Read, 13 Jun. 2016
A sweet road trip story of friendship and family, ideal for a summer holiday read. Gentle and sentimental with a dash of humour.

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices
Life, Death and Vanilla Slices

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and Touching, 30 May 2016
As Jean lies in a coma she reflects on her life. This is a beautiful bittersweet story of life's expectations and realities handled with humour and regret. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I love Jenny Eclair's writing and would recommend it as a good holiday read.

The Liar's Chair
The Liar's Chair

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 19 May 2016
This review is from: The Liar's Chair (Kindle Edition)
Very well written, this book keeps you gripped from beginning to end. The writing is dark, threatening and intelligent leaving you desperate to move on to the next chapter each time.

The Life I Left Behind
The Life I Left Behind

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and exciting, 2 May 2016
Interesting plot with many twists, I kept sneaking a read in wherever I could! I would recommend. I've given 4 stars only as I did guess the ending.

Kill Me Again
Kill Me Again

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plot, 22 April 2016
This review is from: Kill Me Again (Kindle Edition)
This book grabbed me straight away. Crime fiction is not a genre I usually choose to read but I enjoyed this. A great build up with a twist at the end although I was slightly disappointed I guessed the twist early on in the book! I would recommend this as an easy introduction to crime fiction.

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely feel-good read, 8 April 2016
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
I breezed through this touching observation of how life changes us. Liane Moriarty always seems to write books that are charming and gently guides us through such clever and interesting stories, keeping us gripped until the end. Alice comes to after an accident and cannot remember the last ten years of her life - including her children. The story follows her struggle to remember and also come to terms with how she and her relationships have changed. Very touching - reading this was the equivalent of wrapping a warm blanket around you. Highly recommended.

Skechers Flex Appeal Sweet Spot, Women's Low-Top, Blue (Blhp), 5 UK (38 EU)
Skechers Flex Appeal Sweet Spot, Women's Low-Top, Blue (Blhp), 5 UK (38 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 12 Jan. 2016
I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis which means walking any distance is incredibly painful. I bought these for a weekend trip to Rome where I knew I would be walking a lot. I have had the Go Walk from Skechers before and got on really well with them so thought the trainers would be a good bet. And I was right. So comfortable, I didn't want to take them off. Trainers usually make my toes go numb and hurt my heel but because of the flexible sole these trainers cushioned every step but were flexible enough that I could move my foot from my heel to my toe with ease. No numb toes or heel pain. I will buy these again and again.

Rick Steves' Pocket Rome
Rick Steves' Pocket Rome
by Rick Steves

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as ever, 12 Jan. 2016
I love Rick Steve - always buy his travel books when I go anywhere, especially for the helpful phrases in the back of the book and the detailed info about the area, restaurants and bars.

A Mother's Story (No Greater Courage)
A Mother's Story (No Greater Courage)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 12 Jan. 2016
Great story, although it felt uncomfortable at times. The build up was good but once the climax was reached everything seemed rushed after. I would have liked a little more time spent on the last part of the story, dealing with the aftermath and recovery in more detail. It is a very brave story to tell but to have done the matter of post-natal depression justice I think the journey after her turning point would have been just as interesting.

Bodum Vacuum Travel Mug, Stainless Steel with Lime Green Lid and Band, Small, 0.35 l, 12 oz
Offered by The Old Railway Line Garden Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Jan. 2016
Great colour, great style, fits in car drinks holder and keeps drinks warm for a good few hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5