Profile for Fiona Robyn > Reviews

Content by Fiona Robyn

Fiona Robyn (Hampshire, UK)

Lessons from the Monk I Married
Lessons from the Monk I Married
by Katherine Jenkins
Price: 8.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A very warm, wise and human book, 16 April 2012
The author first travelled to South Korea to look for the kind of answers a lot of us struggle with - what's it all about? How can we find peace, happiness and meaning in our lives? During her first months there, she happened to visit a remote temple, where she happened to meet a Buddhist monk, Seong Yoon Lee. Months later, they met again by chance--and fell in love. The rest is history...

Throughout the ups and downs, the author takes learning from the difficulties life throws at her. How can we surrender and let go when we want to cling? Paradoxically, when we can surrender, what (or who) we want is often more able to come towards us...

A lovely book - very human, very ordinary (despite extraordinary circumstances), and very wise. Just like Katherine Jenkins, I'd bet.

Radical Honesty, the New Revised Edition: How to Transform Your Life by Telling the Truth
by Brad Blanton
Price: 8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of wisdom and practical advice, 26 May 2011
I LOVED this book. Not for the faint-hearted, but full of wisdom & practical advice &, as you'd expect, truth-telling. I'll be returning to it again and again.

The Dawning
The Dawning
by Megan Taylor
Price: 5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking novel from Megan Taylor, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Dawning (Paperback)
I much enjoyed Megan Taylor's novel 'How We Were Lost', and I wasn't disappointed by 'The Dawning'.

The author has an amazing ability to take us into her character's world - we can feel the gravel under their feet, and smell the frost in the air. As the story unfolded, I was gripped. Highly recommended.

Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
Beyond Chocolate: How to stop yo-yo dieting and lose weight for good
by Sophie Boss
Price: 8.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial reading for anyone who's ever struggled with their weight, 8 Nov 2009
Sophie and Audrey Boss are ordinary women who were inspired by their own struggles with food and their weight to develop a revolutionary approach to improving our relationship with food.

Their philosophy is very simple. We can trust our bodies. We can trust our bodies to be hungry for what they need, and to tell us when we've had enough. We can eat whatever we want and not put on weight.

It's not quite that simple, of course. We've got a lifetime of programming to dismantle - 'good' and 'bad' foods, using food for comfort or as a way of stuffing our emotions when a hug or writing in our journal would be a better solution. The insidious influence of the media. Fear of fat.

The principles in this book do work, though. I've been signed up to the Beyond Chocolate philosophy for years. I've been eating exactly what I want for all this time, and my weight has been pretty constant. As final proof, I bought myself a very expensive and delicious chocolate brownie last night, and found myself stopping half way through because I felt satisfied. I never thought I'd see the day.

Beyond Chocolate is as engagingly written as a novel, and the advice it contains is practical and sensible. Sophie and Audrey are always encouraging, and they honour our own wisdom and capacity for change, which is rare in the 'self-help' genre. If you buy one book about eating and our relationship with our bodies, buy this one!

The J-Word
The J-Word
by Andrew Sanger
Price: 7.64

4.0 out of 5 stars A very satisfying read, 3 Oct 2009
This review is from: The J-Word (Paperback)
An affectionate portrait of a family falling apart at the seams, and the healing that can come from belonging. I really enjoyed this book.

Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read and Write Poetry
Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read and Write Poetry
by Sage Cohen
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for poetry lovers, 2 Sep 2009
If you want to write poetry and have never got round to it, or if you're already a pro, this is the book for you. It would also be invaluable for poetry teachers.

The short chapters make it easy to dip into, and the book is peppered with inspiring exercises and ideas. There are also many wonderful poems by a variety of poets sprinkled througout.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2009 9:47 PM BST

Burning Out
Burning Out
by Katherine May
Price: 6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and engaging, 23 Aug 2009
This review is from: Burning Out (Paperback)
You can tell that Katherine May has sharpened her writing claws on poetry. Her book is exquisitely written, and her characters are believable and engaging. A book to make us all think a little harder about our day jobs, and about the true cost of earning our daily bread.

Kind of Intimacy, A
Kind of Intimacy, A
by Jenn Ashworth

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compulsive Read, 16 April 2009
This review is from: Kind of Intimacy, A (Paperback)
From the very beginning, Ashworth's main character Annie jumps off the page. She isn't your usual heroine - overweight, socially inept, she lurches from misundertanding to misunderstanding with little grace.

This book is hard to put down, and the reader's discomfort grows as we learn more and more about Annie's internal world (and the gaping space between her internal world and reality).

Annie can be difficult to sympathise with, but what we learn about her childhood helps us to make sense of her relationships with others and with herself. The book is well written and satisfying and I'm already looking forward to Ashworth's next novel.

A Vengeful Longing
A Vengeful Longing
by R. N. Morris
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and well-written, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: A Vengeful Longing (Paperback)
Do you like engaging, well-written detective stories with a sprinkling of gore? Fancy your characters inhabiting smelly 19th Century Russia and having good Russian names, with some scene-setting historical detail that never gets in the way of the story? Like the kind of book you don't really want to put down?

In that case, A Vengeful Longing is for you. Or you might want to start off with A Gentle Axe, the first in the series, which I'm off to purchase immediately. I hope Morris has already started writing the next one...

Like the Heart, the World
Like the Heart, the World
by Sage Cohen
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars These poems deserve our attention, 23 July 2008
As I read `Like the Heart, the World', I think: these poems know what they are talking about. These poems are wise. These poems are brave. These poems speak their mind.

On my first read-through, I didn't understand everything. It didn't matter - certain phrases resonate and the sound goes on, like a bell. `We understand least/ what we hold closest'. `It is spring, and there's too much of everything.'

On my second read-through, I understand a little more. The best poetry doesn't show us everything all at once. It demands that we work a little. `Thin your bounty down to what you know.' `ownership cannot survive'.

I'm fond of the idiosyncrasies and the quirkiness in Cohen's work - a red-hatted woman, the hungry yellow throats of daisies, a man wearing the `wrong' shirt. I'm interesting in what the poems have to say - about fathers, about losing babies, about being alone, about how to grow. Most of all, I feel nourished by Cohen's words. I think it's because each of the poems contain a shining truth.

These poems deserve our attention. Buy this book, and pay it proper attention.