ARRAY(0xb6a08588)

A Good Year
by Peter Mayle
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Just for Proevnce lovers, 23 Oct 2007
This review is from: A Good Year (Paperback)
If you adore Provence or country life in France, you will definitely enjoy this novel (like I did!) Actually, Mayle's description gives you a clear view in Luberon and transports you on a fantastic journey to the great region. I miss Luberon villages so much...
The story is simple and a bit slow, I'd say, and it is a pity that a flavor of mystery were abruptly wiped out somehow. What do you think of the "villlans", Mr. Mayle...? I still liked the story, but it was a bit irritating.
One more thing. I giggled at Mayle's description of Engilshmen, Fernch people and American girls. It is always intriguing to know how a certain group of people is considered by others, especially from different cultures!

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro

4.0 out of 5 stars "Universal" emotions, 15 May 2007
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Paperback)
Memories are painful. Even a sweet one makes you feel somewhat sad because you can never take it back. Past is past. What you lost is lost.

I was feeling "setsunai"(it is Japanese, agonizing? not exactly), while I read this novel from beginning to end, and I found myself crying at the last. There are not many boarding houses in my country and I myself have never been in one, but all Kath described reminded enough of my own school life and childhood. She took me to MY classrooms and playing field full of MY friends.

What is amazing to me is that so many people around the world seemed to sympathize with Kath's childhood memories and the difficult stages for being adult. I am impressed and kind of proud, as a Japanese, that Ishiguro succeeded to speak a universal language.