Profile for Heather C. > Reviews

Lucid
Lucid
by Adrienne Stoltz

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to Start but Gets Going, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Lucid (Hardcover)
When I first heard of Lucid by Adrienne Stoltz and Ron Bass, I knew it was one of those books that I definitely had to read. At first I thought I was going to be disappointed with this book, but it completely took me by surprise!

Lucid tells the story of two girls - Maggie and Sloane. They are as different as night and day except for one thing, they each dream of each other. As the story progresses, each girl falls in love and is afraid that maybe theirs is the world that is actually just a dream. The question is which girl is just a dream and which one is real?

Merriam-Webster defines the world lucid as "having full use of one's faculties: sane." I think the title of this book definitely suits it. Everyone around Maggie and Sloane think they may be going insane. Also, since this is a book about dreaming, Lucid works well.

I don't really like the cover besides the fact that it's shiny. Other than being shiny, the cover is a bit to boring and plain for my liking. I wish it was a bit more decorative instead of just a girl lying in a bed upside down.

The world building for Maggie and Sloane was fantastic! I love how the authors made each girl seem real and like their reality was the real one. It was difficult to tell who was real and who wasn't right up until the very end.

The pacing started out so very slowly for the first half of the book. In fact, it was so slow, that I felt like I was torturing myself reading it, but I really hate not finishing a book. Plus, I was hoping it would get better. Luckily, it get way better. It was almost as if I was reading a whole different book with how suddenly the pacing changed! I found myself reading the second half of the book like there was no tomorrow. It was just so good!!

I enjoyed both the characters of Sloane and Maggie. Although, if I'm honest, I did like Sloane a bit better than Maggie. Sloane seemed to be more grounded whilst Maggie was just a bit too all over the place for my liking. Plus, I felt more like I could be friends with Sloane. There are a few points in the book where the characters come across as being older then they are judging by their language. Plus, Maggie's seven year old sister sounded more like she was Maggie's age. I've never known a seven year old to speak and act like her!

The dialogue was a bit boring at the beginning of the book, but like the pacing, it definitely gets better in the second half. As I stated in the previous paragraph, there were times when the characters appeared to be much older than they actually were. I think the authors seemed to forgot how teenagers talk (as well as seven year olds). There's some acting terminology that's not really explained like the word "flunky" which I still don't know really what that means. There's quite a bit of swearing in this book, so this is definitely more on the side of mature young adult.

Overall, I did really enjoy this book even if the first half was painfully slow. The ending of the book was quite good and unpredictable albeit a bit confusing. I'm still a bit confused about the ending, but maybe that's just me.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 16+ due to the language and themes.

(This review can also be found on my blog).

From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die Novels)
From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die Novels)
by Katie Alender

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Dec 2012
(This review can also be found on my blog [...]).

After reading the first book in this series, Bad Girls Don't Die, I knew I had to read From Bad to Cursed. I must admit that I was a bit wary of reading the next book as usually sequels aren't as good as the first book. However, all my worrying was in vain. This book turned out to be amazing just like the first.

Alexis and her little sister are back in this second book in the Bad Girls Don't Die series. Alexis is still worried about Kasey who has been in home for the mentally unstable. Kasey has come back home, and Alexis will do anything to keep Kasey safe. So when Kasey starts becoming more beautiful and starts making tons of new friends, including her sword enemy, Alexis gets suspicious. Alexis learns that Kasey is involved in a club called the Sunshine Club. However, the club isn't as nice as the name suggests. Alexis joins this club to find out what Kasey has gotten herself into this time. However, it soon becomes apparent that Alexis is in way over her head.

From Bad to Cursed is a good title for this book. In the story, things definitely go from bad to cursed so I can see why the author chose this title.

The cover of From Bad to Cursed looks incredibly creepy, not as much as the first book in the series, but still creepy. I'm not sure who's supposed to be on the cover. I thought it might be Kasey, but Alexis is more dominant in this story, so he could possible be Alexis. However, it still could be any member of the Sunshine Club. I do love the cover of this book, but just like Bad Girls Don't Die, I don't feel that it really gives much away about the story.

Again, Katie Alender is spot on with the world building! She makes you feel like you are experiencing everything that Alexis is. Alender makes you feel as if you're part of the Sunshine Club for this story. Everything just feels so realistic which is fantastic!

This is another book where I enjoyed the pacing very much. It was hard for me to put this book down to do anything else. Reluctantly, I did have to put this book down for some time, but as soon as I had free time, I was reading it again. This is such a fast paced story that you will not even notice the minutes flying by.

The wording in From Bad to Cursed is fantastic. It is easy to understand, and I also appreciate the fact that the teenagers speak like teenagers and not like the teens out of Dawson's Creek. I didn't notice any swear words, so fear not. The dialogue flows quite nicely.

All the characters in this book are all well developed with their each individual personalities. Alexis is a fantastic main character. I think everyone can relate to her in some way. I love Kasey!! I love how vulnerable she comes across as. She also comes across as being a bit more strong in this book. I love how she's grown. We also get to learn a bit more about Lydia in this story which I appreciated. However, Carter isn't mentioned too much in this story although he's still in it.

The whole plot in this book was well executed. It's a fantastic idea for a book. This book has me looking forward to the next book in the series, As Dead As It Gets. In fact, I ended up buying it today before I had even finished From Bad to Cursed. That's how much I love this whole series.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 13+. It is amazing!

As Dead as It Gets (Bad Girls Don't Die Novels)
As Dead as It Gets (Bad Girls Don't Die Novels)
by Katie Alender

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 1 Dec 2012
(This review can also be found on my blog [...] ).

If you've read my reviews on the first two books in this series, you will know my love affair with the Bad Girls Don't Die series. Katie Alender has fast become one of my top three favourite authors. I loved As Dead As It Gets as much as the first two which is saying something as usually most sequels fail to get my love.

Alexis is back in the next installment of Bad Girls Don't Die. This time girls start going missing and Alexis is also being attacked. Alexis discovers that something supernatural is going on. Will Alexis be able to find the missing girls or will Alexis become a ghost herself?

I think the title of this book suits more of the series than the actual book itself. I mean, yes it also suits the book, but it suits the series better. I like how Katie Alender has stuck with titles that seem to blend into one another.

If you've read my reviews of the other two books in the series, you will see how I feel about the covers. I think the cover is gorgeous, but I just wish there was something more to the cover. I think the girl in the cover is either supposed to be Alexis or a ghost featured in this book.

Katie Alender does a fantastic job in the world building and setting in each of her books, and this book is no different. Alender made Alexis' surroundings come to life in great detail. It's quite easy to actual feel as if you are part of Alexis' world.

As always, the pacing of this Katie Alender title is perfect. It's not too slow nor is it too fast. The story flows very well. I ended up devouring all three books in this series, not literally though as paper doesn't taste too good, lol. As Dead As It Gets is such an easy read to immerse yourself in.

The dialogue and wording are easy to understand. All the teenage characters actually sound like teens. The words seem to just flow into one another. I didn't come across any swearing either.

The characters are all well developed as with the other two titles in the series. Alexis is a bit more paranoid in this book, and I also found that she's a bit of a pushover when it comes to Jared. I constantly wanted to yell at her to just leave Jared!! Jared comes across as being the controlling boyfriend type. I really couldn't stand him because of the way he was treating Alexis. My favourite character in this book was Lydia. I loved her sarcasm and humour. We really get to see a lot more of Lydia in this novel, and her personality shines through.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book. It is so good!! I'm hoping this isn't the end of the Bad Girls Don't Die series. If it is, I might have to beg Katie Alender to keep writing more of this series as it is so good!

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 13+.

A Man Derailed: An Autobiography on Depression
A Man Derailed: An Autobiography on Depression
by Paul Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Read!, 13 Nov 2012
As a sufferer of depression, this book definitely caught my attention. This synopsis for this book definitely drew me in, or perhaps I'm just nosy and want to know what it's like for others, lol. Either way, I was very impressed with this book.

A Man Derailed by Paul Holmes is one man's battle with depression due to a major life event. Holmes describes his battle with depression and his ups and downs. He also discusses what helped him get through his depression.

I just want to say that the title, A Man Derailed, is fantastic for this book. I definitely feel that this is a great title for the book due to what happens. I won't go into much more as I don't want to give anything away, but by the end of chapter 1, you will see why this title fits perfectly.

Being as this is an autobiography about one man's struggle with depression, I think the cover is well suited. I like how one side of Holmes' face is all black and the other is decorated in clown make-up. Having depression is like that. On one side, you feel like you're falling into a black abyss. On the other hand, you have to put on a facade to the world as mental health is still a very taboo subject, unfortunately.

Paul Holmes sets up the setting and world building of his book very well. Throughout the book, I felt I was seeing everything happen through his eyes as well as living it with him.

I'm not really a fan of autobiographies as most of the time, the pacing of the book is way too slow for my liking. However, A Man Derailed wasn't like that. The pacing of this book was spot on, and I found myself wanting to know more and more about what Mr. Holmes said or did.

I very much enjoyed how well written this book was. I loved how Holmes was able to inject humour into his book as well, so it wasn't all doom and gloom. A lot of the times, I was actually laughing out loud. I also found myself agreeing with everything Holmes had written. There is quite a bit of swearing, so if you're not big into swear words, be warned. However, I don't mind swearing as I think it totally fit in with the theme of this book. The only problem I found was that there were a lot of punctuation and grammar mistakes. However, this is because I'm a grammar nazi. It didn't really bother me, nor did it take away from the book.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 16+ that have/had depression, that know someone with depression, or those who want to have more insight into what it's like having depression.

I'd give A Man Derailed by Paul Holmes a 4.5 out of 5.

The Hallowed Ones
The Hallowed Ones
by Laura Bickle

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Hallowed Ones (Paperback)
When I read the synopsis of The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle, I knew I had to read this book!! I've always been intrigued by the Amish lifestyle. I ended up buying it as the urge to read it was much too strong. When I found out it was a book that featured vampires, I was a bit put off by it as I hate vampire books, but this one turned out to be alright.

Katie and her best friend Elijah only have a few more weeks to wait until they will be able to go on Rumpsringa. However, when the a helicopter crashes in an Amish field, and no one from the Outside comes to check it out, Katie begins to worry. Eventually, Katie discovers that vampires have taken over the Outside. How will she survive? How can she make sure her friends and family are safe?

The Hallowed Ones is a great description of the Amish, and I can see why the author chose this as the title of her book. It fits in with the plot of the story, so I think it was an excellent choice.

How foreboding does the cover look!?! It looks a bit creepy to me which also made me want to read the book even more. Yes, I know the saying "never judge a book by its cover" but this one definitely had me intrigued. The cover is good, but it's just a picture of an Amish girl and some ravens. Whilst ravens are mentioned in the book, I just wish the cover would've given more away about the book. It would've been much better had it featured a vampire on the cover!! Well, that's my personal opinion anyway.

The setting was great! It takes place all on Amish land. I don't know enough about the Amish to say how correct the author was when it came to recreating the world of the Amish, but from what I do know, everything seemed to fit.

The pacing does start out a bit slow at the beginning, but it subtly speeds up. I did find myself bored for awhile whilst reading this book, but I was soon enthralled. I couldn't tell you when I actually started enjoying it as it just kind of creeped up on me.

A lot of the dialogue in this book is about Katie's inner turmoil about her religion. I hate when books seem to slag off God, but I tried to read this from an unbiased viewpoint. I just thought I'd throw that out there for those who might be put off because of that fact. Other than that, the dialogue is great! I enjoyed the Amish words that were used in it as well.

As for the characters, I thought Katie was great. I loved how she challenged everything and wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed in. She's very outspoken which I very much admired. I started out liking Elijah, but after how he treats Katie, I started disliking him. I thought the character of Alex was great as well. I don't want to say too much about him due to spoilers. Overall, all the characters were very well-developed which I was happy about.

This book helped me learn a bit more about the Amish which I was thankful for. Even though it featured vampires, it wasn't overly focused on them like most books are.

I'd recommend this book to everyone over the age of 16. It's a good little read! I kind of just wish that I'd have borrowed it from the library than buying it.

God-Chaser
God-Chaser
by Sari Krosinsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written!, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: God-Chaser (Paperback)
This is my first time reviewing a poetry book, so hopefully my review will do this book justice as it's a wonderful and well written book of poetry.

god-chaser by Sari Krosinsky is a short book of mainly poetry and some prose. The main subject of this book are gods although there are a few prose and poetry from the author's memories.

I think the title of this book suits it. Most of the prose and poetry contained in this book deal with all sorts of gods, so the title "god-chaser" works perfectly. It's even mentioned in one of the poems.

I like the simplistic design of the cover. I assume the photo of the woman on the cover is the author. I love the tree in the background as well. The cover, to me, symbolises the whole "what you see is what you get with this book." Yes, the cover could've been more decorated with pictures of gods and goddesses but this cover works for this book.

The pacing of each poem and story is perfect. I found myself devouring each story and poem as I read them. Not once did I grow bored with this little book of prose and poetry.

When it comes to dialogue, most of it is easy to understand. There are a few words that I didn't know what they meant, but over all, the prose and poetry is easy to understand. I must mention here that the poems and stories spoke to my soul!! There are a few swear words in it, but not many.

My favourite piece in this book is a prose piece entitled "Election Day Memorial, 1984." I can't pinpoint why it's my favourite but I just love the way it's written. I also like the dry humour used in it.

This is definitely a great book for fans of prose and poetry as well as those that are into mythology. When I heard this book dealt with mythological gods and goddesses, I had to read it! The author does a fantastic job with the wording. It is beautifully written.

I'd recommend this book mostly to fans of prose and poetry aged 16+, but I think mostly everyone could benefit from reading it as it's a lovely read!

The 8th Doll
The 8th Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling, Fast Paced Read!, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: The 8th Doll (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit that I've never read a book about the Mayan Prophecy. However, when I saw the synopsis of this book, I was definitely intrigued. It's not something I'd normally pick up and read, but I decided to take a chance on it. I'm glad I did because it was such an amazing book!!!

Charlie Landry, a geologist, is found beheaded during a drilling project in Mexico. To help find out why he was murdered and who did it, Alex Guidry is called in to help. A doll is found near Landry's body with the number 8 written in blood on the front. This now throws a spanner in the works. What is Landry trying to tell him? Also, who keeps murdering everyone?

The title of this book, The 8th Doll, definitely suits the story. The story revolves mainly around trying to figure out what this eighth doll means. Fantastic title chosen by the author.

I love the cover of this book! The cover gives you a big hint about what the story is going to be about with the doll with the eight written on it and the Mayan temple of the Seven Dolls in the background. I think it's a fantastic cover!

The setting takes place in Mexico which makes sense as that's where the Mayans lived. The author does a great job of portraying how Mexico is, especially when it comes to the climate!

The pacing of this book was fantastic!! It is definitely a fast paced thriller. I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen next in the story. Many times, I stayed up late just to finish many chapters.

The dialogue was definitely easy to understand. There are a few Spanish words in there, but they are easy enough to figure out what they mean, or they are explained. I was really happy about this.

The characters were very well developed. Alex has a good head on his shoulders and is a great detective. I loved the character of Maria. I don't know why, but I guess it's because she brought a woman's touch to the story, lol. Jenkins was my favourite character though. He was perfect with his comic timing. He reminds me of a cross between Samuel L. Jackson and Will Smith. I also thought the baddie, Ah Pukuh, was written well. I also have to say that I loved the mayor. He's only a minor character, but I loved him nonetheless.

I loved the fact that this book used aspects of Mayan prophecy. I must admit that I don't know much about it, but after reading this book, it's clear that the author's done his homework on it. It's such a well written book!

The only fault I found with the book, and this is only a minor fault, is the insta-love between Maria and Alex. Lust I can believe in, but I'm not a believer of love at first sight. That's only a personal gripe though.

Definitely give The 8th Doll by Chris Rakunas a read even if this normally isn't your sort of book.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 16+. It's so good!

(This review is also on my blog).

Demoni Vankil (Hobin Luckyfeller's Fieldguide Book 1)
Demoni Vankil (Hobin Luckyfeller's Fieldguide Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Goblins!!!, 15 Oct 2012
(This review is originally published on my blog).

I loved this book! I loved the intrigue and mystery...and it had a gnome!!!! I love gnomes!!!

Hobin Luckyfeller is a fishis (want to know what that is, then look it up in the book, lol). He comes across fourteen letters sent from a husband to his wife that talk about a major project that has to do with runes and how to trap the Dark Lord. Hobin must try to read in between the lines to figure out what everything means.

The title definitely suits the book! I won't say too much because of spoilers, but once you read the book, you'll definitely know why. It's a perfect title!!

The cover is very ominous looking! I like the way it looks like it's made of leather. I think the cover suits the book because of the three runes on it which, the whole book mentions the runes throughout. I don't really get the yellow face on the cover though. That takes away from it a bit, but I kind of like the yellow face for some odd reason.

The pacing of this book was perfect! As I said, it's only a short story, and sometimes it's difficult to get the pacing right in short stories, however Mr. Buckley gets the pacing spot on! I found myself wanting to know more before I had even finished the chapter I was on!

The dialogue was easy to understand especially since there's a glossary type thing in the back of the book which helps with the pronunciation of words and what they mean as well as who people and places are in the book. I found this to be most useful because with some of the words, I had a difficult time pronouncing them!

I loved the character of Hobin Luckyfeller. I'm not just saying that because he's a gnome! I loved his thirst for knowledge and how he wanted to figure everything out. He wouldn't stop for anything. As for Eamon, the author of the letters, I felt so bad for him. I felt his pain at not being able to see his wife and children.

My favourite part of the book was after the end. No, not because the book was over, but because there was information on the authors. Yes, I said authors! It lists Hobin Luckyfeller as one of the authors along with Jaime Buckley. I found this to be quite humouress!

Jaime Buckley definitely has a way with words. I thought this story was very well written. It's definitely piqued my interest in the Wanted: Hero series that Jaime Buckley has written.

I'd recommend this book to everyone aged 15+ especially those who love fantasy, mystery, dwarves, goblins, etc.

Bone Dressing
Bone Dressing

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Read!, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bone Dressing (Kindle Edition)
Bone Dressing by Michelle I. Brooks was quite a pleasant surprise. I was expecting a ghost story, but this wasn't one. However, I did enjoy this book. I also felt like I was getting two stories in one.

Syd doesn't answer to anyone. She's her own person. So when Beau, Sarah, and T.J. show up at her parents' grave where she likes spending time alone, why does she seem to eventually go along with what they want her to do? Syd will eventually learn who she was in one of her past lives. She'll also learn that there are some people out there who don't want her to remember at any cost.

I thought the setting and world building were great. I especially liked how it took place in Texas, mostly because that's where I was born and raised! Brooks makes the setting come alive, and it's so easy to imagine yourself in that world by her descriptions.

The cover definitely suits the book. It shows a girl (who I presume to be Syd) in a cemetery which is where most of the story takes place. The cover is definitely spot on.

As for the title, I'm a bit torn on whether it suits the book or not. Bone Dressing makes me think of something zombie like...taking over someone's actual body. However, this is more about living a past life. I can understand to a degree why it's called Bone Dressing as living a past life, you seem to be taking over someones bones.

The pacing for the first half of the book was a bit all over the place. It started out just right, but then I felt the pacing was lacking for a lot of the first half. However, for the second half, the pacing is spot on. I finished the second half of the book in hours. I couldn't put it down!!! The pacing is absolutely brilliant for the second half.

The dialogue is very easy to understand. There's no big words which had me running for the dictionary which I was happy about. There is some swearing in this book, so I'd wouldn't suggest it to a younger teen. This is more of an older teen/adult story.

I loved the story of Rachel and Jesse. It was so so sweet!! I won't go into detail as I don't want to give anything away. The Rachel and Jesse story dominate the second half of Bone Dressing. My heart went out to them both. The author really wrote their story very well.

My only gripe with this book is the first half of the story. It's a bit all over the place, and I felt it was a bit hard to follow with all that Syd was saying/doing. Syd tries to be sarcastic all the time during the first half, and most of the time, it just falls flat.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. It's really good. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

(This review is featured on my blog).

The Last Sanctuary
The Last Sanctuary

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Story, 25 Sep 2012
The Last Sanctuary is such a sweet story! I enjoyed it very much. It also has faeries in it which I'm obsessed with =D

The Last Sanctuary by P.S. Mokha is a middle grade fantasy story. It's about three twelve year old girls, (Lily, Olivia, and Rose) who have been orphaned and their adventures trying to find the Hidden Room. On the way, they learn a lot about themselves and get themselves into many dangerous predicaments as well as finding out that they're part of a prophecy "Three will arrive. One to give...One to die...One to Live."

My favourite character was Lily. I could relate a lot to her. She seemed to be the most empathetic. I like the way she's cautious about everything and worried about getting into trouble. She's also aware of everyone's feelings. Rose was great as well. She is the brains behind the group, always working out problems and finding a way out of them. She's the one with a good head on her shoulders. Olivia is the one who's always more worried about her stomach than anything else. Of this, I can relate with her. She's always wanting to eat something and is always snacking. She, to me, seems to be the more funnier one.

I thought the world building was fantastic! The school is set in London but is hidden from the outside world. It sounds ridiculous, but the author made it believable in this book. The description of London is perfect. You can definitely tell the author lived in London. The world of Amassaya was also built beautifully. It actually sounded like a place I'd love to visit. It sounds so magical as it's supposed to.

I found the pacing to be just right for a middle grade book. It's just the right pace to keep the reader interested.

The dialogue was easy to understand. However, there were a few words, and when I say few, I mean about 5 or less, that would probably be a bit difficult for middle graders to understand. Most could be understood using context clues though.

Now I have to talk about the cover - How cool does that cover look!?! I love the faery that's on fire on the cover!!! I don't want to give too much away, but the cover shows some of the main elements of the book. The title of the book also fits the plot as well.

This book left me with a magical feeling. It had perfect comic timing but knew when to be serious. This book definitely made me feel warm =)

I'd definitely recommend this book to all those that are fans of middle grade or YA fantasy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3