Profile for Keith > Reviews

The Prisoner of Heaven
The Prisoner of Heaven
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly deflated..., 31 July 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
I write here as a lover, not a hater, of the author.

But in this instance I feel underwhelmed and disappointed. Perhaps I built this book into something that it wasn't supposed to be, I loved Shadow of the Wind and enjoyed The Angels Game. The former is a standout, stand alone book, I went to Barcelona after reading it and looked at every door imagining the Cemetery of Forgotten Books...

Anyway, if you have not read Shadow of the Wind and The Angels Game do not buy this book (yet). It's simply not possible to read this book on its own, with many plots and characters backwardly made...

Overall, this is a book dedicated to Fermin giving more detail to his colourful past, which is again well written and shows great depth of description (you can smell Montjuic Castle in its rotten past and Fermin is a great character). But, without introducing any spoilers, I found too many subplots opened and new characters introduced which were then just left by the side. Perhaps to feature in the next book, but I wanted more now; overall I feel I have read half a book...

When I expected more tension and completeness I found an ending. Of the plot that did start and ended in the book, the flow felt a little rushed and sequences of plot a little too easy to find/solve (the art of discovery throughout a little too easy for me). Questions I wanted answering though didn't, for example where did the 1000 pesata note come from (not a spoiler)?? It almost feels that the last of the quadology (or whatever four book sequences are called) was in the Authors mind writing this and he wanted this story to be over as quickly as possible. For me this book needed more depth more story, and not a Hollywood type ending of what happens next...

My last comment being Shadow of the Wind is my favourite book, read that and read this...but perhaps wait for the 4th book to be released.

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE BLACK GENUINE LEATHER FLIP CASE / COVER / POUCH / HOLSTER CREAM INSIDE BY TERRAPIN PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE
Offered by ClickJunkie
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality but bad design, 18 April 2012
I received my case this morning and it will be going back this afternoon.

Overall case quality looks good, feels good, but is very bulky. I'd say at least triples the depth of the Note.

Biggest bugbear though is that the case requires pressure to secure it (click fastener) and this is directly above the 'home' button on the Note. So you put your Note in stand by, you fasten your case and hey presto standby is deactivated. And as this is a touch phablet(!?) you can potentially call from case and you wouldn't know.

So I give it 2 stars for being a well made case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 11:22 AM BST