Profile for Christine Davies > Reviews

Life After Life
Life After Life
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Neither interesting nor informative., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
I did not see the point of this book, it was a muddle from beginning to end, a great disappointment to me. would not recommend it to anyone.

Charles: Victim or villain? (Text Only)
Charles: Victim or villain? (Text Only)
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, not inspiring in any way., 13 Aug 2014
Disappointing to me. I suppose all authors tend to be either for Charles or Diana and Juror is in the former camp. I have not changed my wish that Camilla never becomes Queen of my country. She is probably a stronger person than Charles but that does not say a lot! Now I will be off to the Tower of London, sans fait rien!!

Edith Cavell
Edith Cavell
Price: 4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing woman., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Edith Cavell (Kindle Edition)
I recently visited the Cathedral at Norwich and seeing her grave inspired me to read a bit more about her. What an inspiring woman. what backbone, determination and grit, Truly a woman ahead of her time. I wish I could meet her but I would feel so pathetic.

Grace: Her Lives, Her Loves - the definitive biography of Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco
Price: 1.54

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember her death and it was like the deaths of JFK and the Princess of Wales ..., 27 July 2014
Having seen the film about Grace \Kelly recently I was interested to see if the book told more of her story and it certainly did. I remember her death and it was like the deaths of JFK and the Princess of Wales in that I felt we never knew the real truth in any of them.
Grace Kelly lived a different life than Diana before she married her prince, but yes their lives did run to a parallel. Being a bit of a feminist I was annoyed that Rainier married an actress but then would not allow her to do any more acting. So her palace was also her cage. Yes I thoroughly recommend this book.

East Lynne
East Lynne
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars ... book in my teens and it is still a good read and good language yonks on, 24 July 2014
This review is from: East Lynne (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in my teens and it is still a good read and good language yonks on! a bit sad in parts but books in those days usually were. I recommend it to anyone over 50!!

Married Love or Love in Marriage
Married Love or Love in Marriage
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book on kindle as i was too embarrassed to buy it in store!!, 21 Jun 2014
This book is written for young women about to be married; it is assumed the bride has not sexual experience. As a widow in her 70's therefore it was not exactly written for me!! However there was some points in it that I did know and some that have given me things to think over. As it was written so long ago it is a bit flowery and over romanticised but yes I did learn from it, so did my partner who is even older than me!! I did already know that Stopes favoured birth control and she has good arguments for it.

THE DEAD SECRET (illustrated, complete, and unabridged)
THE DEAD SECRET (illustrated, complete, and unabridged)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Historic novel and good with it., 21 Jun 2014
Wilkie Collins is a good writer, no question. I enjoyed the language, and the period in which the book is set. I like that it has a beginning, then the meat of the book and finishes with a tidy ending. this is a treat denied by some modern writers. Highly recommended.

The Young Country Doctor Book 1: Bilbury Chronicles
The Young Country Doctor Book 1: Bilbury Chronicles
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars North Devonshire Dr story., 21 Jun 2014
As I was born in N Devon I recognised lots of the places mentioned in this book. It is certainly not a deep read, but is an easy read and believable. I shall get more of the series in due course. There is a mixture of sadness and comedy which sums up most people's lives. Probably this will appeal to over 50 year olds, but should suit both men and women. The mystery is why I had not heard of these books before!

An Electronic English Dictionary
An Electronic English Dictionary
Price: 2.03

1.0 out of 5 stars mistake of the year, 22 Feb 2014
Bought by accident and removed from my kindle as soon as poss!! did not realise it was for electricians, I thought it was just an E-dictionary!! Signed a sadder but wiser woman!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2014 5:22 AM BST

Philomena: The true story of a mother and the son she had to give away (film tie-in edition)
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars a surprise, 22 Feb 2014
Everyone I know except me seems to have seen the film, so I was intrigued to read the book. I was disappointed in the fact that the main meat of the book is the sexual orientation of Philomena's son, rather than the emotional links between the mother and son. By the time they found each other it was too late. I think this must be a case of the film better than the book which is very unusual.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3