ARRAY(0xa7623780)

Profile for Mr. B. Lee > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. Lee

Mr. B. Lee "bmumble" (Hong Kong)

The Making of Prince of Persia
The Making of Prince of Persia
Price: 5.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Princely Inspiration, 13 Oct 2012
(from my goodreads review)

If you picked up this book looking for pretty pictures of Jake Gyllenhal and co on location and amusing anecdotes from the cast and crew of the movie Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, you'd be sorely disappointed. This is not that book. This is a book about the original video game that spawned a host of original remakes, which later provided inspiration for the movie. Every story has a beginning, and this is the beginning for the Prince, in his earliest iteration.

For fans of the recent Ubisoft series of games, this might make an interesting read (provided you can put your console/computer controller down long enough to read) and is an excellent insight into how the original Prince of Persia was created. Although not exactly a detailed account into the mechanics or decisions that were made to create such a classic game, this book does provide a look into Jordan Mechner's thoughts on the process and how he struggled to balance his dreams and ambitions. In essence, isn't that a story we all personally know?

The more I read through this collection of journal entries, the more I wanted to root out my copy of the DOS PoP and play it (which I did about halfway through the book). Twenty three years on, and the game is still a thrill to play and I don't think I've played a game recently that has given me the same shivers I got whenever the pixelly Prince needed to make a particularly haring jump. This is lasting power, and hats off to Mechner for getting past all the politics he describes here to get this made and have it enter legendary status (in my books at least).

In the end it's a wonderful story of how, through hard work, perseverance and personal drive, you really can achieve all that you set out to achieve. I think this was quite an inspiration and highly recommend it for anyone who loves the Prince of Persia game(s) (new or old), or anyone who enjoys a good biographical look into the mind of a successful professional (although, at the time he wrote this section of his journal, Mechner wasn't an out-and-out success yet).

The Art of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
The Art of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
by Capcom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, great art, no objections..., 1 Jun 2010
I'm a big fan of the game series and for me, it was the combination of gameplay, music, story and visuals that really grabbed me. Capcom have some great artists working for them and the art of Ace Attorney is just brilliant too. Jam-packed with all the art from the 4 Ace Attorney games (sorry, no Ace Attorney Investigations, the book's much older than that...).
If you liked the art of the game series, or just like Phoenix Wright and all associated characters (like I do) then you'll love this book! :)

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars ...come with me, through the streets of London..., 24 Nov 2005
This review is from: Neverwhere (Paperback)
I must admit to being a little bias towards Neil Gaiman, but it is really only because he is such a fantastic writer that I have this bias. I picked this up after I'd read American Gods (and if you haven't read that already, go read it... another fantastic piece of storytelling), which was odd really, as this was written before that.
This story starts in the streets of London and moves quickly into a whole new world that is UNDER London... where there be monsters, demons, fiefdoms and floating markets.
It's set in the present day (well, present day for when it was written, but I guess still holds true no matter when you read it), but when travelling in London Below, Neil Gaiman's narrative seems to merge history with present day in a way that works without questions. He has created a world of pure fantasy from things which are very real.
I had recently finished reading a couple of books that I found mediocre at the best of times, and when I started reading this, I liked it instantaneously and without doubt. Halfway through, I was sucked into the imaginery world, and towards the end, I did not want it to finish. I just wished that the book would keep going.
By the time I had finished reading Neverwhere, I felt as though I would never read another book that was as good as this was. If you like to be entertained by clever writing, this is a book for you. I honestly can't fault it in any way.
I dare you to read this and prove me wrong. ^_^

Deadman's Hand (Xbox)
Deadman's Hand (Xbox)
Offered by total-gamer
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars ...hoping for more..., 27 Oct 2004
This review is from: Deadman's Hand (Xbox) (Video Game)
When I heard about a western first person shoot-em up, I was thrilled. I had waited a long time for something like this to turn up, but was a little disappointed with the results. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't bad, it's just not quite as good as I had hoped.
Firstly, on normal, the game seems far too easy and the levels seem really short.
Another fault is that the game doesn't run quite as smoothly as some of the other choices, like Halo and Castle Wolfenstein, and at times the movement seems a little bit too old school for a modern day game.
However, in saying all this, the game itself is quite entertaining, especially when you shoot off people's hats (I don't know why, but I found this particularly amusing).
If you're not sure whether you would like this kind of game, don't bother is my opinion, but if you do like the old western theme, then this may be worth a look.

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Xbox)
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Xbox)
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.23

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 6 out of 5, I would..., 27 Oct 2004
...If I could give it 10 out of 5, I still would...
Pro Evo has been a fantastic series, and Pro Evo 4 has gotten us even closer to perfection than we could ever possibly imagine. Now, for any of you non-believers out there (i.e. those still in favour of FIFA Football...), answer me this... who's going to make a better football game,
1. The Japanese, who are obssessed with football or
2. The Americans, who play football with their hands...?
Die hard FIFA fans will argue that FIFA has the licensed teams, the licensed kits, the better graphics... but Pro Evo has the better gameplay, by far. All you need is a little patience, and you can edit the kits, the player names, the badges and now, even the sponsors... Certain gamers, mainly no-skills gamers or non football gamers, will find this game a little difficult to grasp, but with time and practice you'll never want to let the gamepad go...
For those who have played Pro Evo before, you'll be able to jump straight into the game as all of the basics are there. The controls seem more responsive than ever (if that is indeed possible), the animations for the players are incredible, and at times it really does seem like you are watching a game of football.
The play is smooth, especially when you're up against the likes of Brazil who will be running circles around you...
Don't even bother buying any other football game (unless it's Pro Evo 5), the king has arrived on X-Box... or at least, will arrive...

X-Men: Next Dimension (Xbox)
X-Men: Next Dimension (Xbox)
Offered by multimedia-online
Price: 22.97

1.0 out of 5 stars If the X-Men were really this bad..., 13 Mar 2003
Not to be rude to the game's designers, but I really suspect that they have no idea what makes a good game. With a license for an X-Men game, they could have done so much better than the tripe they've actually produced. The action is slow, the characters are unresponsive to a degree that makes your blood boil, and the fighting itself is so tedious due to a lack of variation that it's untrue.
There are little things in the game that would have made it quite good if not for the mind-numbingly dull gameplay, such as the cinematic-esque interaction with the backgrounds, being able to knock each other out of windows, throwing characters into a different room etc. However, the longer you play it the more you'll wonder what on earth possessed you to actually WANT to play this game...
If you wanted a good beat-em-up, don't even bother with this.
I've been known to play bad games, but this one was so bad I couldn't bear to carry on playing... poor poor X-Men....