Profile for Addison Krayes > Reviews

Addison Krayes

Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity
Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity
by John W. Loftus

2.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens. Still, that ain't really a compliment., 25 Feb. 2010
The reason why I'm giving this two stars is because the likes of Dawkins, Hitchens, and Harris only deserve one for their complete ignorance in terms of theology. Their greatest sin in the field of academia is applying 21st century standards and cultural perceptions onto one dated over 2000 - hell, 3000 yrs ago. (i.e. Old Testament). Unfortunately, for John Loftus, he falls into the same trap as well, creating a whole host of problems which weren't really problems in the first place. Any scholar of O.T. would happily tell you in comparison with other cultures the Israelite culture is by far the most lenient and merciful. (Sorry, too much to review - e.g. read something introductory like the chapter in "God is good, god is great". It's FAR from perfect, but I quite liked that chapter.)
It's all very well being emotional and asking the reader to dutifully sympathize with his emo-ish angst, but once you tear that down, a lot of what he says are still valid but...too subjective. In the parts concerning hell, for instance, he claims that God doesn't empathize with us enough since we're trying our best, and that he's being unfair because he doesn't give us enough evidence of his existence. No.1. We're clearly NOT trying our best, because we keep on sinning. As another reviewer put it, Mr. Loftus could be helping the poor instead of writing this book. "God is so upset that we don't acknowledge him in this life that he will punish us forever for it, as if it hurts him that much for us not to acknowledge him" - another misguided claim. The Christian God isn't like that - It seems that Mr. Loftus had forgotten entirely about the "free-will" arguments. From another perspective, God has no choice but to create a hell for us if we reject him and go our path instead of God's- the pain and suffering we feel is not flames and worms. It's far worse than that - it's that of rejecting God by following our own petty desires. God WANTS us to be saved so we can enjoy paradise - not for the sake of His own ego.

The strongest criticism that I have is John's "Outside test for faith." No.1. It's nothing new. Trust me. This line of thinking has been around for AGES. No. 2 He is probably right in thinking that it doesn't work for any religion at all. However, if you replace the Bible with "Why I became an atheist", and God with "John Loftus", the same result happens. If this was one of the primary reasons why Mr. Loftus became an atheist, as a student of theology I must say that THAT is quite pathetic. I was raised in a society where Christians were a minority - where it makes more sense to conform to local religions and superstition. So when people point at me and say, "Oh, you must have been raised in a Christian society with its traditions and etc. etc. the outsider test fails in my account. All in all, it's pretty useless for everyone concerned. I don't even know why it's included - the only thing this would have an effect on is probably fundamentalists.

Unless I want to review the whole darn book (which I don't), there's too much to write. I honestly believe that emotion is a huge factor that has warped the aspects of Mr. Loftus' arguments. It was emotional appeal that brought him into Christianity, and it is with emotional appeal that he now attacks it. If you are a reader who is quite sensitive to emotion, DON'T read it in the order Mr. Loftus wants you to. Read the chapters individually, pick out certain bits, so you can see it clearly and analytically. For this reader, I must conclude that it is just another sad case of yet another fundamentalist snapping like a brittle twig along the likes of Dan Barker and Bart Ehrman. All in all, this book is just like a better, more informative version of the God Delusion.
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2013 4:12 PM BST

Driver Genius 9 (PC CD)
Driver Genius 9 (PC CD)
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

2.0 out of 5 stars A very, very mixed bag., 2 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Driver Genius 9 (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Drivers have always been one of the most problematic issues in PCs. In the case of this product, it gave me a few good ones, while handing me drivers that caused my laptop to malfunction. For example, after installing a network adapter patch, my internet suddenly ceased to connect. System Restore became my life-saving tool, after various annoying niggles such as a slower start-up, or applications that minimized to the RIGHT of the taskbar in a condensed form. While on one hand it did give me the correct Intel display drivers, it made me realize that I could have messed up with laptop completely with this product.

Oh... I also very much disliked the fact that I had to register and give away my address and name and country before the bloody thing would install. While other users have reported that Driver genius 9 was fine with them, look around on the internet, and you would find that most of the user ratings for this product is very low. Now, would you buy it...? I don't recommend it, but you can still try.