Profile for A. Hope > Reviews

Content by A. Hope

A. Hope "bookcrossing ali" (Birmingham, England)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12
Toppling Miss April
Toppling Miss April
by Adrienne Dines

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedy of errors, 4 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Toppling Miss April (Paperback)
I have enjoyed Adrienne Dines other two novels very much, and this was - although quite different in some ways, no disappointment. A real comedy of errors - the toothbrush incident will be one I remember for a long time. Peopled with some entertaining characters, and hilarious misunderstandings, it's a great feel good read - a good one for chasing the stresses of the working day away. Can't wait for more by this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2008 4:23 PM BST

The Sorrow of Sisters (Transita)
The Sorrow of Sisters (Transita)
by Wendy K. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sorrow of Sisters, 2 Mar. 2007
An unputdownable read, well written with fully rounded, memorable characters. The Isle of Wight - a place I have never been - sounded so lovely I felt I wanted to go there. There is a wonderful feeling of place in this novel, Wendy Harris had written with real affection about the Isle of Wight. The novel shifts between times and narrators - although the majority of the story is told by Jane - a woman searching for answers after an unexpected bequest. What she finds is unexpected, and makes for a compulsive read.

The English Teacher (Vintage Classics)
The English Teacher (Vintage Classics)
by R K Narayan

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, and moving, 2 Mar. 2007
This is a simple story on the face of it. A young teacher, prepares to set up home with his wife and child after having lived for some time in a hostel. His wife and baby daughter arrive, and we're taken through the next few years of their lives. The relationship that develops between the teacher and his wife Susila, and him and his daughter is beautifuly and movingingly told. There is humor and tragedy in this wonderful novel, which is enourmously memeorable.

Mariana
Mariana
by Monica Dickens

5.0 out of 5 stars A real delight, 2 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Mariana (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, it's the story of Mary, told in flashbacks. We first meet Mary, as she awaits news of her husband during WW2. The novel then follows Mary through her 1930's childhood, starting when she's about eleven. We follow her through holidays at her grandfathers large country house with her cousins, schooling, a hilarious spell at a dramatic arts college, an art course in Paris, her first job, and a couple of misjudged romances. There are a host of loveable charcters - one of my personal favourites being Uncle Geoffrey. The novel is written with gentle humor, and is a wonderful chronicle of 1930's life.

Little Boy Lost
Little Boy Lost
by Marghanita Laski

5.0 out of 5 stars I could have cried..., 2 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Little Boy Lost (Paperback)
...and I don't cry over books as a rule. I don't know quite how to describe this lovely book - execept to say it is almost unbearably poignant at times. Originally published in 1949 - it tells the story of Hilary Wainwright and the search for his young son. In 1942 Hilary learns his son - who he believed was being cared for by a woman in occupied France, and who had rescued the child following Hilary's wife's death - is in fact lost, possibly somewhere in France. In 1945 Hilary goes in search of his son, with the help of a french man Pierre. But Hilary is a tortured soul - a poet - he now finds himself resistant to feelings of love since his wifes death, and wonders if he really wants this child at all. I found this such a wonderfuly moving book, and one that at times made me furious too, and I had to put it down and walk away from it at times. It is however hugely memorable, and the sort of book I will read again.

Regeneration
Regeneration
by Pat Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful haunting novel, 2 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Regeneration (Paperback)
This is of course a book of difficult themes, with some disturbing imagery, but it is beautifully written, and the relationships which develop between characters are fascinating. I was reminded several times of the wonderful, haunting war poetry that I read many years ago, but haven't read since - this book made me want to read it again. I read this book with something of a lump in my throat, it brings sharply into focus, the true horrors of war, and what it does to people.

In the Country of Men
In the Country of Men
by Hisham Matar

5.0 out of 5 stars Through the eyes of a child, 10 Feb. 2007
This review is from: In the Country of Men (Hardcover)
This is very powerful, poignant story - told through the eyes of a young boy - who struggles to understand the world he is living in. Through the eyes of Suleiman we see and feel a frightening, confusing picture unfold. Telling the story of Tripoli, and Suleiman's parents in this way, the reader is drawn right into the heart of this family and the times they live in. An enthralling read that has a lot to say about freedom, and what it feels like when those basic freedoms we all take for granted don't exist - and there is a terrifying echo on the phone.

The Inheritance of Loss
The Inheritance of Loss
by Kiran Desai

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and melancholic., 2 Feb. 2007
I wasn't disappointed at all. The language is lovely as is the imagery, it has a melancholic feel, and the interplay between the characters is brilliant. The story is a simple one in many ways, it is not a novel of complex plot twists, more of how these people have come to where they are, and then there is a good dose of politics thrown in. The character I will remember fondest, and longest, is the cook who misses his son - illegally living in America - so much he starts to see him as a figment of his immagination. The cook and his son - shouting awkwardly down the phone at each other is only one of many poignant moments for me. This is a book that will stay with me for a long time.

The Crowded Bed
The Crowded Bed
by Mary Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crowded Bed - a great read!, 2 Feb. 2007
This review is from: The Crowded Bed (Paperback)
I thought this was a great read, a real page turner. Mary Cavanagh writes so authentically - Anna and Joes, relationship, their sacrifice, misery, and particularly Joe's awful Marriage to the truly foul Ursie is always believable, and often heartrending. Anna's father's character, and somehow for me, the shadow of Hugo, are an ever present menace, but they are fully rounded and believable characters, the monstrous Gordon is brilliantly chilling. I thought the added dimension of Joe's Jewishness, and his attempt to do the right thing by his family, was fascinating. I was particularly impressed by the authenticity of the male voice, throughout this book, that after all is a difficult thing for a woman writer to get right, but this book could have easily been written by either a man or a woman.

The Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society (Transita)
The Dangerous Sports Euthanasia Society (Transita)
by Christine Coleman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, with plenty to think about., 13 Jan. 2007
Loved it!!! I hope I have half of Agnes's spirit when I am seventy five. I certainly don't think you need be in that age brackett to enjoy this brilliant novel either, as it has much to teach those of us who still have twenty or thirty years before we retire. A great cast of memorable, likeable characters make this hugely entertaining novel, the kind thats stands out from the crowd. Immensly original it teaches us a very important lesson about the older generation. I loved the bits set in Birmingham too, as that's where I'm from, and I always cheer when Brum gets a mention.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12