Profile for Bruce Percy > Reviews

Frances Ha [Blu-ray]
Frances Ha [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Greta Gerwig

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern day Three Colours Red film, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Frances Ha [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I think I fell in love with Frances. She reminds me very much about you 20's.

Whilst watching the film, I felt I was watching a modern version of 'Three Colours Red'; a beautiful young woman trying to figure out her place and who she really is.

What Frances lacks in self-identity, she gives in her love for her friend. She's a very human subject to watch, because she shows how she's really feeling most of the time, and although she's out of step with her friends who are moving towards adulthood easier than she is, it's still very touching to see how she is still herself.

I really enjoyed this. It reminded me very much of 'Three Colours Red', which is a similar story: the search of meaning and belonging from a 20's something perspective.

I Annan Heim
I Annan Heim

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: I Annan Heim (Audio CD)
Maybe some day, folks will catch on to this little gem. Produced by Alex Sommers, he of Jonsi and Alex' album 'Riceboy Sleeps', the production is delicate and adds part of Alex' sound to Rokkurro's beautiful classical / rock songs.

Edgeland
Edgeland
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Underworld without the electronics, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Edgeland (Audio CD)
I know Karl and Rick's music well... I was a Freur buying maniac at 15 years of age (I'm 45 years old now).

I was keen to hear this album from Karl. It's about time he had a solo-album out. But I guess he really needed to set the stage and establish himself through Underworld's music first.

I love this album. It's pretty mellow, has a lot of guitar, but it's not a million miles away from the more down-beat tracks that Underworld produce. Think more contemplative underworld, and perhaps a little more organic in nature, and you're not far away.

If you love underworld, I fail to see why you won't love this album, despite it being more guitar based, more acoustic in places.

Well worth it. Well done Karl.... I met you in 1994, and you were a gentleman. So pleased for you. I hope you are a very happy man with this album. It's beautiful.

English Electric (Deluxe)
English Electric (Deluxe)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best album in 30 years, 8 April 2013
I loved OMD in the early 80's. For me, tracks such as 'Statues' and 'Stanlow' on the Organisation album were the pinacle of OMD excellence. They were dark, brooding and atmospheric pieces of work. But I also loved the more catchy pop elements of OMD, as they were always infused with great synth sounds. I just found I got less interested in them as they became more mainstream through the mid-80's and onwards.

So it was a big surprise to me, to find this album of interest. I'd assumed that OMD were very much past their sell by date, but I'm amazed to hear that this album is a hark back to the more catchy / experimental sides of OMD that I loved back in the earl 80's, and at the same time, sounding fresh and contemporary.

It's a beautifully produced album. Good songs, good sounds, harking back to the classic sounds of OMD and the more electronic and 'Kraftwerk' influenced sounds of Messages and Enola Gay.

It's not a classic, it isn't better than those earlier albums, but it's a very welcome return to what I think OMD do best: merging catchy electro pop with atmospherics. It's a great record and they should be proud of themselves. I would be if I were them :-)

A Long Way to Fall
A Long Way to Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Long Way to Fall (Audio CD)
Ulrich continues with the massive ambient soundscapes of his previous albums, but maybe the sound is more dense, like a big wall right in front of you.

Upon first listen, it is, what you'd been hoping for. Melodious, ambient, soft dark tones abound. He's pitched it just right. It's a development on his sound so far, and in some ways doesn't stray too far away, but in others, it's a refreshing new look on his music.

I love it.

Spirit Of Eden
Spirit Of Eden

5.0 out of 5 stars An album from the future, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Spirit Of Eden (Audio CD)
A beautiful album, only perhaps now reaching its deserved audience.

Released back in 1988, there was nothing quite like it, and for some, it was a difficult experience to listen to it. I had friends tell me it was 'atonal', and I disagreed. I felt there was some amazing beauty there, yet, still, I had difficulty in classifying it.

Roll forward to today, and we are now comfortable with the 'post-rock' badge, and fantastic bands like Sigur Ros, and the beautiful 'Rice Boy Sleeps' album by Jonsi and Alex. Listening to 'Spirit of Eden' in todays climate, it's like Mark, Lee and Paul had seen the future.

Spirit of Eden has been the template for a lot of 'post-rock' bands. It's a classic album, deserved of much post release attention. It's just a shame we weren't of a mind at the time to accept its beauty. But that's often the case with masterpieces - they are of their own time, and they often are only understood much later. That is certainly the case with this album.

Atmospheric, experimental, jazz influenced, classical influenced, and I'd say from the heart. Mark, no wonder you decided to call it a day. If I'd been you, I'd feel I'd said and done what I needed to say. Thanks so much for giving us this.

Graceland [25th Anniversary Edition]
Graceland [25th Anniversary Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb audio quality, 20 Oct 2012
Contrary to the other reviews here that the sound is overly compressed - I disagree.

What we are hearing here is a much more transparent transfer of the original source. I always found the original audio a little muddy in the mid-tones, and the definition between certain instruments wasn't as clear as it could have been. The original audio CD was released way back in the 80's.... when digital transfer was not as refined as it is now.

I've been hoping they would get round to doing a new transfer of this album, because it's a such a good album. I'd recommend this version very much. There is much more tonal separation between instruments, but if you feel - like the other reviewers that the audio is not what you expect, then please don't blame it on over-compression. I reckon it's more a case of being used to the material sounding a particular way, and any change or enhancement to it, is going to leave you wanting.

Vilda Rosor
Vilda Rosor

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Vilda Rosor (Audio CD)
From the most soulful player of Accordion I know, this album is a change in direction for Maria.

Instead of the soulful sound and melodies of her previous work, we are introduced to Maria's singing voice and what a lovely voice she has.

If I were to criticise this album, it would simply be to say that I can't get enough of her soulful melodies and playing, which seem to be less of a focal point on this album. If I am to praise the work, it is to say that it sheds some new light on a wonderful talent, and gives us a glimpse into more of Maria's private musical world. She has a beautiful voice and this is a beautiful album.

Trans-Europe Express
Trans-Europe Express

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor remaster, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Trans-Europe Express (Audio CD)
This is a great album, and this 'remaster' is unfortunately a botched work.

It seems that Kraftwerk used some audio enhancing software that basically dulls the sound when anything bright comes into the mix. Listen and you will hear the rest of the background being muffled each time a snare on TEE is played. So too with the 'trans europe express' vocoder intro to the same song - the background is muffled by the noise reducing software they have applied to the original master.

Showroom Dummes is perhaps the worst. The click click sound of the drums now has an echo. I wonder if this is due to print through on the original analogue source tape, or due to overworking the sound remix for the master. I'm not sure.

I love Kraftwerk, and this is one of my favourite albums. The 'remaster' work on this is simply awful and I would advise to seek out the original recording. Forget this one - it's not a remaster as such, more an experiment on reducing the noise (which was always part of the original sound recording anyway) and compromising the audio as a result.

Avoid.

Mid Air
Mid Air

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, beautiful, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Mid Air (Audio CD)
Like a long player of 'Easter Parade' versions, it's a slow, reflective album of just Paul's voice, sparse piano, and lots and lots of silence between notes.

A late night album, and not one to be played when feeling too sad, but beautiful and uplifting when you feel alright about the world.

Some may find too little variance in the songs, but for me, there's a consistency to the output. Mid-Air sets the tone for the rest of the album and you can quickly bed yourself in.

A grower, and I'm sure it will be up there (for me) in the years to come the same way that Kate Bush's Ariel, 50 words for snow, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, Mark Hollis' solo album and David Sylvian's Secrets of the Behive efforts are.

Quiet, slow, atmospheric and it draws you in through silence and restraint. It's that kind of album.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 11:00 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4