Profile for Helen Jones > Reviews

Content by Helen Jones

Helen Jones "Helen J" (Gloucester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Fisher-Price Crawl & Cruise Jungle Playset
Fisher-Price Crawl & Cruise Jungle Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great!, 28 April 2009
Having seen this in catalogues, my dad got it for my 6 month old son at Christmas, when he was really too small to get much out of it. He did however love the music and the flashing lights. He quickly learnt how to hit the jingle ball and the crocodile to make the music play.

He is now 9.5 months and has just learnt to put the balls down the helter skelter and will now sit for a good 20 mins on his own playing with the balls and jiggling along to the tunes.

I agree with others that it needs more features and doesn't compare to the 360 degree activity centres. I shall be interested to see what he does with it once he can stand at it and move around the front and back. It is not a total waste of money as my son has had and is getting enjoyment from it however if you want to get one I would suggest buying second hand as it's not worth the full price!

Taggies Colours Toss Plush toy
Taggies Colours Toss Plush toy
Offered by DealsCentre

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 28 April 2009
I saw this in a shop before my son was born but couldn't justify the expense, and so was delighted when a friend bought it for him. I have not been disappointed! My son is 9.5 months now and this ball is still a great hit.
It is roughly 9-10 inches in diameter and is lightweight and soft meaning that I can through it to my son with no fear of hurting him. It has the taggie ribbons on it making it easy for him to 'catch' and pick up. He was able to pick it up with one hand as soon as he learnt how to hold things. It is great to shake, throw and kick as it has a jingle bell inside it, which has a lovely clear sound.
It is made of bright, soft, short pile fleece / fur fabric and is lovely to look at and great to touch. As well as the taggie ribbons it has an abundance of care instruction labels which have provided much entertainment for my son!
I have seen other babies with soft balls of a similar size that are too big for them to really hold or do much with, but this one is perfect.
It is an expensive ball, but I feel it is worth every penny.
You and you child will love it!

The Thank You Prayer (My First Taggies)
The Thank You Prayer (My First Taggies)
by Kaori Watanabe
Edition: Rag Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing, 28 April 2009
Having seen several taggies items and loved them I was excited when a friend bought my son this book. Sadly I was disappointed with it. It has the winning ribbons around several of the pages, but the book itself just doesn't reach out and grab you. The pages have very simple pastel coloured images on them which have failed to grab my son's attention. He likes it, but it doesn't compare to other cloth books that we have had.

Doing the Animal Bop
Doing the Animal Bop
by Jan Ormerod

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and entertaining book, 28 April 2009
This review is from: Doing the Animal Bop (Paperback)
I'm not sure who enjoys this book more - me or my nine month old son! We have borrowed it from the library and I intend to get a copy of our own as I can see it being read again and again.
The illustrations are fun, and rhymes for each animal are simple, amusing and incredibly rhythmic and will get you willingly joining in the 'animal bop'.
My son is too young yet to do the movements on his own, but I sit with him and we move together. I imagine as he grows we will enjoy 'waddling along to the penguin song' and joining in with the numerous other crazy capers in this book.
My poor husband found us reading this book the other day and thought we'd gone mad!
If you like action, rhyme and movement - buy this book!

The Very Funny Fish (Peek-a-boo Pop-ups)
The Very Funny Fish (Peek-a-boo Pop-ups)
by Jack Tickle
Edition: Pop-Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Larger than life pop-ups, 28 April 2009
I borrowed this book from the library for my nine month old son who LOVES it. It contains seven large and beautiful pop-up's which really stand out from the page and captivtate my son. Each creature has a simple four line rhyme which are excellent.

Highly recommended

Lamaze My First Fish Bowl
Lamaze My First Fish Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows with your child, 26 April 2009
I started playing with this with my son when he was 5 months old. At that time he simply enjoyed watching and listening to me squish, crinkle, squeak and jangle the toys, but they were the wrong shape for him to hold.
At 7 months he started chewing on the labels - yes there are 2 labels which is great!
Recently at 9 months he has really become excited about taking the fish out of the bowl and has just stated putting them back in. He likes to look through the plastic bowl as well!
Hours of fun for both of us! Excellent investment!

Dinosaurs Galore!
Dinosaurs Galore!
by Giles Andreae

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous pictures and smashing rhymes, 14 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Dinosaurs Galore! (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from the library, and my 7 month old son loved it. We read it again and again.
As to be expected the rhymes from Giles Andeae are superb, and the illustrations are bold and amusing.

Touchy-feely Tractor (Usborne Touchy Feely Books)
Touchy-feely Tractor (Usborne Touchy Feely Books)
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots to look at and touch, 14 Mar. 2009
As a fan of the Usborne 'thats not my...' range, I was excited to find this book in the library.
It has more touchy feely bits per page than the 'thats not my...' range, making it more interesting and it kept my 6 month old sons attention for ages at a time.
The book also has suggestions of things to look for on each page, and there is plenty to point out and talk about.

Splash About neoprene Baby Wrap (wet suit), Jade, Medium, 6-18 months
Splash About neoprene Baby Wrap (wet suit), Jade, Medium, 6-18 months

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Swimming Aid, 14 Mar. 2009
I bought this in the small size for my son so that he could go swimming when he was just 7 weeks old, and it enabled him to stay in a normal temperature swimming pool for half an hour without getting cold. He then wore it for his swimming lessons every week until he grew out of it at just over 6 months.

I am just buying the medium size for him to use when we are in cooler pools. However he has just started swimming without it during his lessons, as we are in a warm pool and now he is bigger he doesn't feel the cold in the same way.

To keep it clean i just put it in the machine on a simple rinse and spin cycle and it's kept its colour beautifully.

There are a couple of drawbacks however:
The wetsuit does slightly restrict his movement. Without it he kicked and splashed both his arms and legs more, but had we not had one he wouldn't have been swimming so early, so I consider this a minor setback.
Also, the extremely strong velcro on the wetsuit has ruined my swimsuit, because as he grew it wasn't completely covered and the velcro attached itself to my swimsuit regularly. Again, however, this is only a minor thing compared to my sons enjoyment of the water!

I highly recommend this item!

Chocolate Mousse For Greedy Goose
Chocolate Mousse For Greedy Goose
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all ages :-), 17 Dec. 2008
This was the first book I borrowed from the library for my 4 month old son. We sat and read it and read it and when we had finished that we read it again. He loved the pictures and it made me laugh.
The rhymes are brilliant, the pictures bold and bright and simple enough for even the youngest audience to enjoy.

I can't wait for us to have a copy of our own!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6