Profile for Helen Jones > Reviews

Content by Helen Jones

Helen Jones "Helen J" (Gloucester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE the nappies, shame about the wraps, 2 Jun 2010
We purchased this kit and have been using the microfibre nappies on my son since he was 5 days old (approx 7lb). He spent 9 months in the small size and has been in the large size now for 14 months and they have served us very well. If we have another child I see no reason why we would not be able to use the same nappies again.

Little lamb nappies are extremely easy to use, as they do up with velcro and they only take a few seconds longer to change than a disposable nappy (due to needing a second layer ie the wrap). They wash and wear well, and although they do lose that lovely new fluffy look, they remain soft and white.

The microfibre kit dries really quickly. We wash ours at 40C and do an extra spin cycle. They dry within hours when hung on the washing line in the sun, and often they dry overnight when hung in the house (compared to the bamboo nappy which seemed to take forever to dry). We don't use them at night but found that 20 is enough for us to do a washing load approx every 3 days.

I would rate the nappy as a 5 star, but I was very disappointed with the wrap - to the extent that I have purchased another brand to use instead. (please note - these were bought 2 years ago and may have changed since then) When I was using the little lamb wrap I found I had to change my sons clothes with every nappy. I thought this was normal with a washable nappy until someone told me otherwise and I swapped to another brand. The edging on the nappy (around the legs) was not waterproof and quickly absorbed moisture and transfered it to my sons clothes.

The fleece liners are great, although I've never managed to flick the poo off without getting into a mess. I've just tended to put the whole lot into the bucket and let the machine deal with it. I've now moved onto the flushable liners which are great when it comes to saving the life of my washing machine, and can be washed a few times and reused if only wet at nappy change.

We never used the nappies - small or large without the booster pad, but it's helpful that it can be removed if desired.

The bucket that is supplied is far bigger than anything you will buy labelled as a 'nappy bucket' in a shop and hold about half your nappies (you don't need to soak them). The lids just rest on top of the bucket but I have not found this to be a problem, on the contrary I like the fact that I don't have to wrestle with the bucket to get the lid off.

Little Lamb nappy kits are amazing value for money, are quick to dry, absorbant and last really well. I recommend them to anyone who talks to me about using a washable nappy.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 2 Jun 2010
I have used Little Lamb washable nappies since my son was 5 days old. He is now 23 months and until last month we used the fleece liners that came with the nappy kit that we purchased. I had been very happy with the fleece liners but since he was weaned, and certainly as he started eating more and more of our food, I found that the fleece liners were becoming increasingly hard to clean (as was the inside of the washing machine). At the suggestion of a couple of friends I switched to using these paper liners.

I am now happily using these liners and the nappies (and my washing machine) are faring much better as a result. After use I put soiled liners straight into the toilet, or if they are simply wet, they go into the bucket with the nappies and are washed and dried to use again. After several washes I have not had any fall apart yet, and this is keeping the cost down really well.

They do not feel soft, but my son does not seem to have noticed the difference, despite the fact that when wet they seem to stick to him! They have not irritated his skin, and no nappy rash has developed. I also think that in hot weather they are probably cooler than another layer of fleece next to his skin.

The washable fleece liners are cheeper, but if you are getting fed up with the more disgusting toddler nappies then these are a great buy, and will definately make your life slightly easier!

William Worm
William Worm
by Sheila Bird
Price: 5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely interactive book, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: William Worm (Hardcover)
William Worm is a bright cheerful looking puppet who wriggles his way through the pages of this delightful book. Unlike some puppet books there is nothing scary about William and he will be loved by the youngest of audiences.

The puppet part is easy to use as you can fit 2 whole fingers into it and he is able to 'look right, look left, look all around' (which is part of the story on every page) and can encourage early awareness of the concepts 'left and right' (although you will have to remember which is which, from the perspective of your audience ;)

The biggest drawback to this book, is also it's biggest appeal - William is so adorable that toddlers will want to grab him and play with him themselves, so a bit of extra supervision might be required to ensure that he doesn't meet and untimely demise!

Buy this book and you will spend many happy hours with your child and William!

Playgro Activity Rattle Clip Clop
Playgro Activity Rattle Clip Clop
Offered by The Entertainer
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby's favourit toy!, 2 Jun 2010
My sister gave this to us as a present for our son when he was a few weeks old, and it became the one toy that we took everywhere with us for months. He simply adored it! He loved moving and chewing the beads across the handle and it made a great toy to shake and dangle for him before he was old enough to hold it for himself. Each of the feet have different bottoms for example, a mirror, a textured surface and a squeaker.

We recently bought it as a new baby present for some friends and they have also told us that it became a firm favourite with their son.

It's worth spending your money on this toy!

Wriggle and Roar: Rhymes to Join in with
Wriggle and Roar: Rhymes to Join in with
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A great variety of interactive poems that will make you giggle, 2 Jun 2010
I bought this book shortly after discovering Julia Donaldson and Nick Sharratt. My son was under a year old at that time. The state that the book is in now (curled up corners and the odd tear) are proof of how much this book has been read and played with during the last year.

The rhymes are short (either 1 page, or over a 2 page spread) and are all designed to have the audience / reader join in with them, whether that is moo-ing like a cow, growing like a tree, blowing birthday candles out or dancing down the street!

Lovely poems, and wonderful illustrations are what you expect from this author - illustrator combination and you won't be disappointed.

One Mole Digging A Hole
One Mole Digging A Hole
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book, great for learning numbers, 2 Jun 2010
This book is currently on its 5th consecutive renewal from our local library. It is a huge hit with my nearly 2 year old and we read it every night before bed.

Every 2 page spread has a number (from 1 to 10) with the digit, the written number and a simple rhyme on the left hand page which matches the picture on the right hand page. For example there are '2, two snakes with garden rakes', or '10, ten bees pruning trees'. Each of the rhymes are very amusing and beautifully illustrated. The final double page spread has a detailed picture with all of the animals on it.

When I read it with my son, I trace the number with my finger, count the number of animals and then read the rhyme, so he hears each number 3 times, and sees it as a word, a digit, and sees / hears me counting them. This is such great exposure to counting and numbers.

I highly recommend this book.

Fisher Price School Bus Refresh
Fisher Price School Bus Refresh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great musical bus!, 19 May 2010
I have recently purchased this bus for my son (22 months). He enjoys pushing his cars around and saying 'brrrm brrm'. He loves putting people into his cars which is why I bought this item. What a hit it is! He is regularly asking for his bus, and loves opening the doors (side and rear) so that the people can climb in.

The bus comes with a driver and several little people, one of whom has an integral wheelchair. The back door of the bus has a ramp so you can wheel the person in.

When the driver is put correctly into his seat and is pushed down the bus sings one of three short songs. The music is cheery, but not too annoying! The lights on top of the bus flash, and the eyes move when the bus is moving along.

It's a great toy and I highly recommend it!

Noah Story Blocks (Candle Bible for Toddlers)
Noah Story Blocks (Candle Bible for Toddlers)
by Juliet David
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sturdy toy, 1 May 2010
I recently bought this set of stacking boxes for my son (21 months). The pictures, as on all the candle toddler range, are beautiful. Each of the 5 sides of the cube having a different set of pictures (the story, characters from the story, numbers, animals etc) giving you plenty to talk about with your child.

The boxes are made from sturdy card which is really robust. My son has yet to make any kind of dent in them, despite him knocking them down time and time again. When built the 10 blocks are a little taller than he is (making the tower around 1m tall).

Because of their sizes they are easy to stack, and my son can stack them all if he puts his mind to it giving him a good sense of satisfaction and achievement.

A great buy and excellent value for money!

Manny's Toolbox [With 7 Tool-Shaped Books] (Disney Handy Manny)
Manny's Toolbox [With 7 Tool-Shaped Books] (Disney Handy Manny)
by Marcy Kelman
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book for little hands, 25 Feb 2010
My son is 19 months old and a big Handy Manny fan! He loves this book with its little tool shaped books.

It isn't a story, but has information about each of the tools, and bits of it are written as though each tool is talking - and they are kept in character very well. My son loves taking the tools out of the book and carries them around with him. They are such a perfect size for his little hands to hold, which I think is a big part of the appeal.

I recommend this book to any Handy Manny fan, or indeed any child who loves tools.

Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator
Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator
Offered by SuStuu
Price: 74.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little bit of kit!, 1 July 2009
My family and I have recently taken up 'geocaching' the game where you are the search engine, and to get really serious about it we needed a handheld hikers gps. My friend had one of these and it is a reliable little gadget at a good price so we purchased one too.

To begin with I found it a little complicated to work out, but once I'd got the hang of which button did what, it is straightforward to set up and use. We did not buy the pc connector and it works fine without it, but if you don't want to have the time consuming business of putting in the co-ordinates by hand each time, then I would recommend the connector, so that you can download them.

It records how far you have walked, how fast you are walking and average speed, as well as telling you how far (as the crow flies) your destination is, and how far (at current speed) it will take you to get there. You can input about 20 routes I think - although we have never done this.

I have found the eTrex H to pick up a good signal and be accurate. However it doesn't have a map so if we are walking on roads we always take a street map with us, and if we were going out into the country I would also want an ordnance survey map or similar so that I knew where the paths etc were.

If you are starting out, I would recommend this as a good purchase. I give it 4 stars because it doesn't come with pc connectors and because it doesn't have a map.

All in good value for money!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6