Profile for S. Barnes > Reviews

Content by S. Barnes

S. Barnes "swingsandroundabouts" (Europe)

Tropic Thunder - Single Disc [DVD]
Tropic Thunder - Single Disc [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious accolade for Hollywood's finest, 11 Oct 2008
Ben Stiller's best movie yet! As far as comedy goes, I expect a few laughs and I expect to be entertained. Tropic Thunder goes beyond all expectations and I can honestly say it is one my favourite films to be released this year.

One cannot flaw the fantastic cast. Credit to Robert Downey Jnr, whose character is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Australian method actor who plays a black, American war hero. This is not an easy task, but RDJ pulls it off effortlessly. Jack Black has never disappointed me and Ben Stiller is at his most finest, proving why he is such a major player in American comedy today.

I don't want to give too much of the story away, but it's basically a mis-match of actors who desperatly need a film based on the story of a Vietnam veteran to save their careers. It is decided that the best way for them to really become their chracters is to literally embrace their experiences in the depths of the Vietnamese jungle.

Tropic Thunder is an hilarious must-see for 2008. I'm not a huge comedy fan, but this has got me hooked!

WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition with Slinky, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition with Slinky, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Burtt

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from Disney and Pixar, 11 Oct 2008
Wall-e is a beautiful, magical film with a magnitude of messages for contemporary society. Disney is the one aspect of my childhood that has never lost its touch. This film shows just how fantastic the relationship between Disney and Pixar really is. Wall-e is an adorably selfless character and it is difficult not to become so emotionally attached.

I knew nothing about this film before seeing it at the cinema and was truly amazed by how moving the scenes without speech are. Although the first half of the film lacks words, this in no way lessens the inevitable entwining of viewer and character that only Disney has perfected.

Toddler, teenager or grandparent - Wall-e is entertaining for all and no one is excluded. This is a funny, moving tale and I really cannot falter it.

An exclusive slinky too? It feels as if I never grew up!

I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Great set, superb acting... but still not memorable., 11 Oct 2008
This review is from: I Am Legend [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I'll keep this short. By no means does my 2-start rating mean this film is not worth a watch; it's just to reiterate that this film - despite the fact that it's near enough a 'one man show' - is nothing new. Will Smith (again) is the heroic, intelligent protagonist. Although I cannot deny that Smith gives an outstanding performance, 'I am Legend' portrays all the conventions of a typical end-of-the-world movie and I suppose I was anticipating something less generic. I think a more spectacular ending would have made all the difference; I just got the impression that the writers almost lost focus.

The Islamist: Why I joined radical Islam in Britain, what I saw inside and why I left
by Ed Husain

4.0 out of 5 stars Pertinent exposé written for the culturally aware, 11 Oct 2008
Eye-opening, honest and intense. I read 'The Islamist' back when it was first released, curious yet naive to the true picture of radical Islam in the West. As with any religion, there are followers who have their faith exploited and distorted. 'The Islamist' is a fascinating account of one man's membership to an extreme organisation, as he fell victim to a way of life that terrifies those on the outside.

Although I read this memoir to fuel my interest in current affairs, the main reason I picked it up is because I wanted to grasp the underlying differences between the beliefs of traditional muslims and those of Islamic extremists. It truely opened my eyes to a culture that I had only been exposed to through the media. Reading books on the subject written in third person are great for gaining an overall, more academic understanding, but Ed Hussain here offers a much greater insight into how and why these groups behave.

Terrorism is a subject on everyone's lips, which is why Hussain's story is so important. Personally however, I believe everone should read this book to eliminate the prejudice that is experienced by so many British Muslims. It is a terrible shame that in the 21st century, it is wrongly assumed by many that those who believe in the same God and dress the same follow the same way of life.

by Alan Gardiner

5.0 out of 5 stars How to put a smile on the examiners face..., 28 Sep 2003
After previously reviewing this guide (below, as ms_retro), I received my 'AS' results this year. In the two examination units of the course, I gained full marks! I thought I would add this, as I think the guide made a significant contribution to my final marks. Wherever you are in the course at the moment and however well you are doing, if you are taking an A Level in English Language, you have to buy this book. Seriously, this is the best kept secret in English Language revision and I think everyone should have it - and no, I am in no way connected with the writer/publishers! Good Luck *

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 28 Sep 2003
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
A beautifully written novel from the view of Susie Salmon who, at the age of fourteen, was brutally raped and murdered. Sebold captures perfectly the emotions of the friends and family Susie was taken away from in this thought-provoking and inspiring book. After reading Sebold’s memoir ‘Lucky’, I was drawn in by her natural, authentic style and so rushed to buy this book. I find the way she writes so ‘real’ compared to many popular authors who seem to try too hard to reach the tedious conventional ‘bestseller’ style that I have come across so often. Once I had read the first page of ‘The Lovely Bones’, I was unable to put it down until the very last page. It changed my own views on death and, through the lives of those Susie loved, brought me closer to the reasons of others and to understanding the wider world of consequences.
I found the ending a little vague and was disappointed by the lack of justice brought forward, scarily representing the world we live in. However, there is no doubt that it deserves the full five stars as it is truly engaging and inspiring. I experienced a whole array of emotions throughout this book and found it brought hope as well as despair. This book will stay with me for a long time, as I’m sure it will with the vast majority of it’s readers. I couldn’t recommend it more.

by Alan Gardiner

5.0 out of 5 stars The AS/A2 English Language Essential, 23 Feb 2003
I chose this book over other AS Level English Language textbooks as it catered for A2 as well, which means I won't need a seperate textbook next year and I can already see what the second year offers. I was expecting a much larger textbook - how could something that takes up so little shelf space help me in my A-Levels? It has, however, helped me a great deal, and I now feel confident that I will achieve high grades for both my AS year and the full A Level.
After buying the book, my English teacher personally recommended it to the class. I, and now the rest of my English class, totally agree that it is the best source for AS English revision. Terms are explained perfectly and various uses of english language are covered. The main thing is though, this book covers the whole course whatever exam board you are entered under. A list is given in the inside cover of what each exam board expects at each level, with page references to the correct material.
You really cannot go wrong with this book. I was overwhelmed by the terms and definitions I was given at the start of term. Since buying the guide, I understand every aspect fully, and am now expecting an A grade in my coursework. If you want to succeed, this is the essential tool to guide you through the two years. I have not come across a better AS level textbook in any subject. Highly recommended.

The Datsuns
The Datsuns
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirty Rock N Roll at it's Finest, 23 Feb 2003
This review is from: The Datsuns (Audio CD)
The Datsuns - they're big in the 21st century, they sound like they should be somewhere else... but that sure ain't a bad thing! Bringing that good ol' 70's feel to the 00's, The Datsuns are throwing their dirty riffs and sleazy vocals right where it feels good. And it doesn't get any better than this! Never before has a band with an a sound from 30 years ago fitted in so well. The Datsuns are, quite purely, amazing.
If you're a fan of bands like The Vines, The Libertines and The Hives, chances are you've heard plenty by The Datsuns. If not, I have to recommend you buy this album. It's lively, in-yer-face attitude can't be missed. You thought 'In Love' was good? Wait 'til you hear the rest! 'MF From Hell' is a surefire hit, and 'You Build Me Up' and 'Harmonic Generator' capture the essence of 70s rock. The Datsuns haven't copied anyone or anything - they are just showing the younger generation how good music really can be.
I challenge you to buy this album, listen to it all, without giving in to the dirty vibe and throwing yourself (and your guitar) around your room. There's no point trying!
You wanted it, The Datsuns are giving you it.
The Datsuns - "I'm in Love!"