Profile for Jampop888 > Reviews

Content by Jampop888

Jampop888

The Penguin Dictionary of International Relations (Penguin Reference)
The Penguin Dictionary of International Relations (Penguin Reference)
by Graham Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for IR students: 10 Years Ago, 3 Mar. 2012
This is a really excellent book, but is in dire need of an update and republish. Bearing in mind the ever-changing nature of International Relations, this book was written in 1998 and so it was published pre-9/11, pre-Afghanistan, pre-War on Terror, pre-Iraq, pre-Great Recession, pre-Obama and before the formation of several sovereign states in their current forms, including South Sudan, East Timor, Montenegro and Kosovo.

I realise that it is difficult to keep a published work of print up-to-date but 14 years old is way over the top. If Penguin could please update and reissue this book, its usefulness and intellectual value would increase five-fold, especially considering how much has happened in world events in the last 2 decades.

An ace book, but in serious need of repair!

A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars An Indescribable Medicine, 27 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Monster Calls (Hardcover)
My mother passed away three years ago when I was 18 years old. She died after a long struggle against what turned out to be terminal cancer. When I recently read this book, I cried from chapter 1 to the last page, and that is a lot coming from a typically emotionally limited 21 year old guy. It felt like a weight had been lifted, because the intricate humanity outlined in this wonderful book showed me that what I and my family went through is shared by everyone who loses someone close to them and the horrible but necessary grieving process that comes with it. It is truly a masterpiece. It is real, compassionate, insightful and human and I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Whilst it is obviously not a full remedy, this book is an incredible kind of medicine for the disease of bereavement and I thank Patrick Ness and the memory of Siobhan Dowd for the lasting healing that this book has allowed me. Beautifully written and hauntingly illustrated it is a book I will remember always and urge you to experience it for yourself.

BaByliss 7545U Easy Cut V2 Hair Clipper and Trimmer for Men
BaByliss 7545U Easy Cut V2 Hair Clipper and Trimmer for Men

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Terrible, 29 Dec. 2011
Do not buy this product - it simply is not worth a penny.

This is the first review I have done after using Amazon for years, just because I feel so strongly about this useless piece of kit.

Don't be fooled by the (surprisingly reputable) Babyliss brand. This product is an absolute waste of time - I have spent the last hour and a half trying and failing to cut my hair with it. I have patches which have been shaved right off and parts which have hardly been touched. I look ridiculous and have had to use a normal shaver to get rid of all my hair and start again!

The unit is completely underpowered and the blades have a spin rate of about 5 RPM (Revolutions Per Millennium)...

Bloody awful product - listen to the reviews and do not part with your hard-earned cash.