ARRAY(0xae5ee750)

Profile for Ms. Samantha A. Pottinger > Reviews

Content by Ms. Samantha A...

Ms. Samantha A. Pottinger "sammiepott" (London, England)

Michel Thomas Method: Portuguese Advanced Course (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Method: Portuguese Advanced Course (Michel Thomas Series)
by Virginia Catmur (Editor)
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to Foundation course, but inappropriately titled., 12 Aug 2009
This course is a good follow up to the foundation course and on the first CD it recaps on some of the exercises from the end of the foundation course, which is useful. What this course teaches you is more of the irregular verbs and how to put verbs into different tenses. It goes into a bit more detail with the tenses, for example, it will tell you the difference between how you would say 'I used to eat chicken' and 'I ate chicken yesterday'. It does not teach you a wide range of vocabulary but it teaches you the structure of the language, which is essentially the most important part of learning a language, as opposed to a lot of phrase books which tell you how to ask a specific question but will not tell you how to understand the answer!
One criticism I would have is that it is inappropriately titled. In my opinion, this course is still teaching you how to say very basic sentences and is not what I would consider advanced. I think at the end of this course, there will still be a lot of Portuguese language and expressions that learners will not understand. It is a good follow up to the Foundation Course but just don't expect to be fluent upon completion!

Songs of the Humpback Whale
Songs of the Humpback Whale
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 15.56

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth persevering with, 20 Feb 2009
Having read most of Jodi Picoults books and enjoyed most of them, I decided to give this one a go. Once you have read a few of her books, they do seem to be written to a formula and you can usually predict the end, but as this was her earliest book, I found it to be different and I really enjoyed it. The subject matter is not as gripping as her later books but it gets a lot more interesting towards the end. It provides an unbiased insight into family life from the perspectives of all the family members, including the teenage daughter which I found pleasing, as teenagers are often portrayed solely as moody uncontollable brats. There are some cringeworthy sex scenes but overall I found this to be a good read and I believe she is a very talented author. Very poignant and emotional book.

Plant Based Nutrition and Health
Plant Based Nutrition and Health
by Stephen Walsh PhD

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and truthful, 28 Jan 2009
What I like about this book is that it is very unbiased and factual and explains the advantages and disadvantages of a vegan diet and how to make the most of it. Animal charities can sometimes exaggerate the health benefits of a vegan diet and be very biased because of their interest in saving animals, but this book is based on scientific facts. The downside is that I do not find it particularly user friendly because it goes into quite deep scientific detail and is probably more complicated than necessary for someone who just wants to know how to eat healthily as a vegan.

Remember Me?
Remember Me?
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: 17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars worth reading for free!!, 31 Mar 2008
This review is from: Remember Me? (Hardcover)
As someone who has read all of her other books, I knew what to expect, generally annoying, bimbo-ish chick lit, with a few hilarious parts which compensate for the annoyingness. This one, I didn't feel there were enough hilarious parts and I found myself getting annoyed at how simple-minded the author must be and how she overuses the word NONCHALANT. It was also annoying that the main character never did recover her memory, because you keep expecting it to happen. I was glad I borrowed it from the library for free and didn't pay any money for it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2008 10:42 PM BST

Keeping Faith
Keeping Faith
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange and tedious, 31 Mar 2008
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
I have enjoyed some of Picoult's other books, but struggled to finish this one. I found it to be extremely far fetched in some places, with the Jesus-like miracles Faith was supposed to be performing, such as bringing her dead Grandma back to life and healing all the ill people in the hospital. Even though I'm not much of a cynic, I found myself thinking 'Oh, please' in several places, and this stopped me from enjoying it. A few of her other books have been very enjoyable because they deal with more believable life issues. This book, I just found strange and tedious.

Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera
Price: 9.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut! Buy it!, 26 Nov 2005
This review is from: Christina Aguilera (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant album that greatly exceeded my expectations. It definitely makes a refreshing change from the albums of the many young manufactured singers of today which consist of a few catchy singles and then effortless fillers. It is clear that effort has gone into each song. Although Christina did not write these songs herself, she carries them off well with her amazing vocals and the songs are not corny, they are about topics which a lot of people, male and female, young and old can relate to. If you think that Genie in a Bottle is going to be the only good song on the album, buy it and prove yourself wrong!

Let's Get It On
Let's Get It On
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words!......, 9 Nov 2005
This review is from: Let's Get It On (Audio CD)
The magnificance of this album is almost indescribable. Being 21 years old, I was born slightly after Marvin had died, but nonetheless I am a huge fan of his music. Most people will have heard 'let's get it on' and even if that was the only good song on the album it would be worth buying. however, the other songs are all at least as good or even better than the title track, particularly 'Just to Keep you Satisfied' and 'Distant Lover'. A refreshing change from the albums of nowadays which usually consist of 2 or 3 good singles and fillers.

You Don't Know My Name [CD 1]
You Don't Know My Name [CD 1]

4.0 out of 5 stars hello can I speak to Michael?, 14 Aug 2004
This really is a beautiful song. I was not a fan of Alicia's music to start with but this song is amazing! If you like soul and RnB, this song is for you. It sounds like 70's soul music but it also has a modern RnB feel to it but and the added bonus of Alicia's lovely voice and the chromatic scales on the piano. however, when I bought this CD I was disappointed to find that the really cheesy part in the video where she rings up that man and says 'hello, can I speak to Michael, this is the waitress from the coffee house, bla bla bla bla bla etc etc' had not been cut out. but other than that, a brilliant song!

Your Heart's in Good Hands
Your Heart's in Good Hands
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars keep on pushing, 14 Aug 2004
This album is quite different to Al's 70's soul music and has a more modern sound to it (but his lovely soulful voice remains the same!). Although there aren't that many memorable songs on it, it is one of those CDs you can leave in your stereo without having to skip any of the tracks. For me the song that stands out the most is 'Keep on Pushing', a happy, feel-good song which featured on Ally McBeal(for those of you who are Ally McBeal fans it was the episode where Ally hallucinates him singing to her in court). But yeah, if you're not an Ally fan and you're just an Al fan, get it anyway!!! great stuff