Profile for elnor > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Sperry Top-Sider Cormorant
Sperry Top-Sider Cormorant

1.0 out of 5 stars SO disappointed!, 22 Jun 2014
My sister got me these for Christmas two years ago... she bought them in the States, and I know they weren't cheap! (she told me so.) After only very light use, the sole has started to crack and separate from the upper, which has dried and become discoloured.They are now useless in wet weather.

I am NOT hard on shoes... a decent pair of trainers can last me years, and my trusty Ariats get almost daily use and hold up far better than this. I expected a shoe from a reputable company to last longer than just a couple of years, but I Googled the problem and it seems I'm not alone- lots of complaints about Sperry Top-siders cracking and leaking.

Sadly, my lovely purple shoes are going in the bin today... I won't ask for anything by Sperry again.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Allie Brosh

5.0 out of 5 stars Allie, you're a marvel, 11 Mar 2014
I got this for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day... we've been following Allie's blog for years.

When it arrived, I thought I should browse through it for a sneak preview, (just to make sure he would like it) and I have to say- NEVER read this while drinking a cup of tea at the same time. Or any liquid, for that matter.

I laughed so hard I nearly spewed hot tea all over it, and I had to put it aside in case I ended up by giving him a stained, soggy book as a gift.

Nearly a month later, we've both read it now- and it is brilliant. The illustrations are great... quirky and unique, but so expressive- and so, so funny, even when she write about the depression she has struggled with, and more serious ruminations on her life in general. In fact, I think that her depiction of depression using the dead goldfish is the BEST explanation of depression I've ever seen, and anyone planning on becoming a therapist or counselor should have to read it.

I was going to choose a favourite bit, but I can't- I like them all. The trip to the dentist, the letter from her ten-year old self, the psychopathic goose, her mad dogs, (and her attempts to train them) and CAKE, (actually, that one might be my favourite) and all the rest. I'm sitting here with it and going through it again laughing over Helper Dog in the snow, which is why it's now taken me over half an HOUR to write this review. I'm never going to get to the shops.

As to the book itself...it's much thicker than I had anticipated- 369 pages, full-colour printing on good quality paper that actually feels nice.

Buy it.... so she'll do a sequel.

Earth Friendly Products Ecos Lemongrass Laundry Detergent 50 Washes 1.5 Litres
Earth Friendly Products Ecos Lemongrass Laundry Detergent 50 Washes 1.5 Litres

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well!, 11 Mar 2014
I like this detergent- cleans the clothes well, and has a nice fresh smell.

My ONLY complaint is that the measure on the lid is impossible to see, (and it's even more difficult on the smaller-sized bottle, with the instructions on the bottle in milliliters, while the amount on the cap is in ounces....??? Do I LOOK like I passed algebra? No.)

In the end I've saved the cap off of an empty Ecover fabric conditioner bottle to use.

I really like the product, though- so will be buying it again and I do recommend it.
I'll be hanging onto my handy-dandy Ecover cap, too.

Choose Me
Choose Me
by Kay Langdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Enjoyable, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Choose Me (Paperback)
This has to be one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time... I won't go into an overview of it, because several other reviewers have done that; but it is possibly one of the kindest, most empathic pieces of writing that I've come across in ages. People, despite their best intentions don't always get it right- the possible families for Billy WANT to do what is best, but it's just not what is the right thing for him. Even his poor, dysfunctional mother does love him- and does her best, even though it clearly is not enough. None of the characters mean to do harm, and they are not cruel or callous- perhaps silly or self-centered... and simply just not what he needs. Each of them would be perfect for another child- and Billy with the wisdom he has had to acquire too soon and too young does seem to understand this.

The only 'bad guy' in this novel is the system- the grinding bureaucracy that stymies so many people from fostering or adopting. I don't think I've ever had a book make me cry for joy, the way this one did at the end.

I'm definitely going to seek out this author's other books.

Crete Insight Flexi Map (Insight Flexi Maps)
Crete Insight Flexi Map (Insight Flexi Maps)
by APA Publications
Edition: Map

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be a treasure map!, 2 Oct 2013
Wow- £5,000 for a second hand paper MAP! Obviously must be a bargain from the other sellers for only £25, (but climbing to £108) Weird listing, or what???

A4 Black One Day To A Page / Day Per Page 2013 Casebound Desk Diary
A4 Black One Day To A Page / Day Per Page 2013 Casebound Desk Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 4 Aug 2013
I have to confess I don't use these for their intended purposes... I'm working on a large writing project, and it's useful in my notes to say "refer to July 10" or whatever... so I like the large A4 diaries for that reason. The lines are nice and close together, so I can fit lots of information to a page. My only quibble is that the paper is a little thinner than that of the Letts diary which was the last one I used, so I can only write on one side of the page, otherwise it shows through. Not a big deal- I can live with it, and would buy this one again.

Art Wall Decor Red Suction Cup Base Plastic Gecko Hook
Art Wall Decor Red Suction Cup Base Plastic Gecko Hook
Offered by sourcingmap

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little thing for the price, 4 Aug 2013
It wasn't as large as I'd expected, (photos make it appear deceptively large and I was in a rush- didn't check the measurements in the description- my fault) but it seems to stick quite well... it's been up two days now holding up a hand towel.
I wasn't too happy once I'd clicked to purchase it to discover it would be coming from Hong Kong, and it actually took just under a month to arrive- in fact, going back over the description I can't find any mention of the seller's location anywhere. BIt sneaky... I thought this was Amazon UK, so why was this concealed?
Anyway, it's a cute and decorative little hook and it wasn't the end of the world it took four weeks to arrive... the seller included a discount coupon with it, so I've ordered a blue one as well.

Spanish for Beginners (Beginners Language CD Packs)
Spanish for Beginners (Beginners Language CD Packs)
by Angela Wilkes
Edition: Spiral-bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped for, 29 Dec 2012
I bought this for my boyfriend before we went on holiday to a Spanish-speaking country, and we were both very disappointed with it. Firstly, the book and pack are an "all-in-one" design.... you can't take the book out of the cover that holds it together with the CD and all the various paraphernalia- making it impossible to carry just the book on bus or train to study, (and sometimes if you go to pick it up, the whole lot falls out onto the floor anyway.)

The explanations of grammar are too vague... for example, it doesn't explain the changes or relationships in pronouns and verb endings- and he was constantly having to ask me about sentence structure, (I had studied Spanish in school, and have a basic knowledge... but even so, I still found it confusing, and we were forced to look up a lot of things online.)

In the end we returned it. Learning a language by rote just isn't for us.

Sumex ACA1000 Neck Rest
Sumex ACA1000 Neck Rest
Offered by habillauto

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, 29 Dec 2012
I have neck and back problems, and this cushion really helps on car journeys. These days head and neck rests built into car seats all seem to be designed for passengers much taller than I am, so I can position this where I need it to be.... definitely well worth the money spent.

Euphoria (Single Version)
Euphoria (Single Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tune, 29 Dec 2012
This is the first music I've ever bought from Amazon... because I just love this song so much. Catchy tune- you can't help but get up and dance to it- lifts my spirits every time I listen to it.

Page: 1 | 2