Profile for A. Mawdsley > Reviews

Content by A. Mawdsley

A. Mawdsley (Newbury, Berks, UK)

Schmidt Noah's Ark Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Schmidt Noah's Ark Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful puzzle, 7 Jun 2014
I have really enjoyed assembling this fantastic fantasy puzzle, stunning colouring and whimsical art work, with many jokes hidden within that it is only possible to fully appreciate once it is complete and in all its glory.

Really good fun and highly recommended.

The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life
by Donna Jackson Nakazawa
Price: 15.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource and inspiration, 27 April 2014
This book documents the author's year long experiment to change her relationship to the many chronic illnesses with which she lives, in an effort to reclaim a sense of joy she feels robbed of by her conditions. Apparently women are more likely to suffer from chronic conditions, and often these come in pairs or triples, and because there are no outward signs of illness there is a lot of silent suffering.
She has the benefit of the support of an integrated medical doctor who monitors physiological changes in key markers as she works with mindfulness meditation, yoga, and acupuncture. By the end of the year she sees marked improvements in all aspects of her Wellbeing, both objectively and subjectively: she feels better and her results show she is better.
A problem with the techniques she explores is that progress towards healing can be imperceptible, so her story can be a real inspiration to carry on. She also explains clearly how the effects of traumatic childhood events can lie dormant for years causing lasting changes in fundamental physiological functions which then contribute to patterns of disease.

There is a lot of material available on the health benefits of meditation, yoga and other practices, but this one stands out for its clarity, the author's first hand experience and general positivity that it is possible to change one's mind and change one's health.
Highly recommended.

SquareTrade 2-Year Warranty Plus Accident Protection (250-300 Items)
SquareTrade 2-Year Warranty Plus Accident Protection (250-300 Items)
Offered by SquareTrade
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, 17 April 2014
Purchased warranty to cover my daughter's phone, which she managed to drop in the sink. Advisers at Square Trade were extremely helpful, polite and knowledgeable. They suggested I send the phone to their depot for assessment and possible repair, but unfortunately I opted to find a third party repairer, thinking it would be quicker and I would have more control over the process, but this was a nightmare experience. Five weeks later the phone was returned to me by the independent repairer as being non-repairable - Square Trade took delivery of the damaged phone and immediately paid me the full amount without any quibbles.
My only suggestion would be that Square Trade maintain a list of recommended reputable repairers/assessors.
Otherwise excellent service and I have purchased a second warranty for the replacement phone.

Heal Thy Self
Heal Thy Self
by Saki Santorelli
Price: 8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and insightful, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Heal Thy Self (Paperback)
This is one of the most inspiring and insightful books on mindfulness that I have read - the author just oozes those qualities of kindness and gentle enquiry at the heart of the mindfulness approach.

He weaves in his own mindfulness experiences as they play out in his own life, specifically around his relationships with participants in the eight week mindfulness programme, and this is the fundamental message of his book: there is no difference between doctor and patient, teacher and student, we all learn and develop in that healing relationship when we commit to honesty and deep exploration.

At its core is the gentle acceptance of all that arises for all members of the programme, for the entire human experience, all of us moving between strength and vulnerability, ignorance and wisdom, struggle and grace. We "meet" many participants on the programme, those that leave, those with addictions, illnesses, pain and share with them painful, stuck places and moments of clarity and healing.

It is really a narrative of mindfulness in action and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind
by Ruby Wax
Price: 16.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Get a proper book on Mindfulness ..., 21 July 2013
I found this book irritating and trite, dealing with a deep, centuries old tradition and way of being in a flippant and throw-away manner that is entirely out of tune with the importance of its teaching. I purchased it, curious to see how Mindfulness had influenced the author, and although I found myself laughing out loud a few times, overall I found the writing superficial and shallow. There is an exclusive focus on mindfulness meditation as it has been taken up in the west, with some neuroscience evidence, as if we invented it over here. The essence of mindfulness is reflection, a slowing down and appreciation of what is here, right now - this book is written in a breathless, staccato style with little depth or soul. The book contains cheap jibes (Ghandi wearing a "nappy", "worshiping the elephant God with a thousand arms") and unkind thoughts ("if you don't like what I am writing, write a book yourself") and just seems to be another way for a fading celebrity to stay in the limelight.

I wouldn't wish depression on anyone, and wish the author well in her journey with the condition. Maybe her celebrity status will bring some people to explore mindfulness who wouldn't otherwise have countenanced it. Otherwise, I can't really see much merit in the book.

Do yourself a favour and get a proper book on Mindfulness by an author who speaks with integrity, compassion and kindness, none of which have any room in Miss Wax's way of being/writing - try Jon Kabat Zin, or Saki Santorelli, or Professor Mark Williams, all of whom embody their beliefs and experiences in their writing. Or a proper book on neuroplasticity, of which there are plenty which go in to far greater depth, or on the benefits of meditation - this book just isn't the real deal.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 6:28 PM BST

Traditional Chinese Medicine Approches to Cancer: Harmony in the Face of the Tiger
by Henry McGrath
Price: 12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening, positive and supportive, 20 Aug 2011
This book is positive and inspiring, and distills much information in a way that is clear and understandable to those new to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Most importantly it opens up this alternative approach to cancer, based on medical practices that have been around for thousands of years, for all those who believe that there is more to cancer than a physical tumour or set or symptoms. The TCM understanding of the root causes of cancer makes perfect sense to me, and may provide a powerful additional weapon for the cancer patient.

This quotation from the introduction summarises the book for me:

"It (TCM) focuses on the whole person and seeks to sustain her on the journey through cancer and beyond. It attempts to strengthen the body and nurture the spirit, giving renewed vitality and hope".

The book discusses the benefits of herbal medicine, acupuncture, Qi Gong and diet as potential support for the holistic body, including lots of evidence for how they can give support to the body through the sometimes devastating side-effects of conventional medicine, for example support for the immune system when compromised by chemo. It looks at the Five Elements and Eight Principles as diagnostic methods for the individual's unique pattern of disease. I have found it useful when discussing treatment with my own acupuncturist.

Cancer is a systemic disease, and as such many people believe it requires an integrated, multi-faceted and multi-disciplined approach to healing. This book provides a really excellent basis from which to explore the complementary approach of TCM.

Highly recommended.

Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Upto 17 inch Laptops - Chocolate/Tourmaline
Belkin Neoprene Messenger Bag for Upto 17 inch Laptops - Chocolate/Tourmaline
Price: 25.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bag, 12 Jan 2010
This is a really great product - sturdy, offering good protection to my 17.3" Packard Bell laptop - snug fit but feels very secure. Colour is great, lots of pockets and additional storage for leads, mouse etc. It is well-designed without being gimmicky and really good value - looks and feels as though it should have cost much more.

Ordered with standard delivery late Sunday evening, delivered mid-morning Tuesday.

Faultless product, value for money and service, I am one very happy customer and delighted not to have to settle for a boring black bag.