Profile for J. Gordon > Reviews

Saga Volume 3
Saga Volume 3
by Fiona Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars Best comic going, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Saga Volume 3 (Paperback)
Vaughn and Staples have turned out to be a dream-team! If you're reading about Volume 3, then you probably already know all you need to know about this series - so just expect more of the same brilliant work in V3 that you got in the previous two volumes.

Firefly Serenity Replica SDCC 2013 Exclusive Gold Key Chain
Firefly Serenity Replica SDCC 2013 Exclusive Gold Key Chain
Offered by Toy Zany

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but flawed, 29 Jun 2014
Be prepared for some heft - this is pretty heavy for a keychain. If you don't mind a little weight, then you'll be fine.

In terms of the look, it's great, no complaints at all. The problem is that the extensions around the engine are very sharp and pointy! Not a great design idea, having something in your pocket that's potentially going to jab you whenever you reach for it...

I've bent the two pieces inward so that they're touching the engine section, but that slightly defeats the purpose. Not the end of the world, but it's a pretty silly thing to have to do to a new item.

WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 High Capacity Portable Hard Drive for Windows
WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 High Capacity Portable Hard Drive for Windows
Offered by OutdoorHero

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, fast, easy, 29 Jun 2014
You have to admire the continuing progression of the HDD market, and how it's come to something like this. This particular one feels very solid and sturdy despite being so small and light, which is obviously an optimal mix.

Speed is excellent, and setting itself up on Windows 7 took a few seconds on my (fast) PC. Not much else to say - if this drive lasts a few years, it will have been a perfect purchase.

Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook & Dictionary (Lonely Planet Phrasebook: Russian)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 29 Jun 2014
This is not my first LP phrasebook, so I knew what to expect: a handy reference with pretty intuitive layout and logic throughout.

As with the other LP books I own, I was not disappointed. The only thing I considered taking off a star for was that there isn't much focus on Cyrillic, but then I remembered that this is a phrasebook, not a language instruction, hence I'm happy to give this a solid 5. If you want more than 4 small pages on how to read Cyrillic, there's quite a lot of free stuff online, so consider this book is for the phrase reference, and it's pretty much ideal!

Supergets® Sony Xperia Z1 Premium Transparent Clear Wave Hydro Gel Case / Cover , High Capacitive Touch Screen Stylus and Screen Protector
Offered by Colourful2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, 12 May 2014
I don't really need a stylus, so I'm not using it - if you want a cheap stylus, then this one will work just fine (I did try it out, it's just not my style).

The protective film is almost identical to what I had in my Sony box, so well-done there.

But the case is the main thing. Like with most quality smartphones now, they're slippery glass that can be unwieldy if picked up at the wrong angle. It's hard to never drop one. So you want a case that's going to be minimalist but still protective and unobtrusive, and this one is pretty perfect. Basically, the design of it is spot-on - holes in the right places, easy-access to the charger slot, but not the SIM or SD, where you're not likely to go in often. The grips along the side are slightly rough, but very useful and extra-grippy. I take this phone in the shower for music, and have noticed zero issues with the case (retaining water, colouration, expand/contract, etc).

The only slight knock is that the power button takes a little practice to get right, because it conflicts with the VOL UP button. I don't know how they could have designed this better - I put it down more to Sony's putting those buttons so close to each other.

Overall, excellent value for the money.

PU Leather Case including Built In stand & Bluetooth Keyboard for The New iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2 & iPad 1 - TECHGEAR SOLUTIONS (BLACK)
Offered by Kingway

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, useful, easy, 12 May 2014
It's a keyboard, it's a case, it's a stand in both aspects. It's damn handy, and the price is right.

The downside is that obviously for the price, you're sacrificing a bit of quality. Overall, I don't mind it - the one place I take off a star is that typing can be a bit of a nuisance because you have to press the keys a little bit too diligently at times, and the layout is slightly non-standard.

Sounds like a major pain? Nah - you're buying it for the portability, and it works about as well as you can expect for its size and weight. It's not a laptop replacement at all, but if you want this combo stand/case included, then for the price you can't do much better.

Fair Warning
Fair Warning

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to overlook this magnitude of team-up, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Fair Warning (MP3 Download)
Where to even start... Two memorable voices, two skilled songwriters, etc etc - these things tend to either be decent or off-the-charts, like The Civil Wars. I'd say that already, The Rails are heading toward the latter. We'll see where they are in two or three albums from now, but this is one hell of a debut and portends of great things to come.

It gets a bit heavy on both the folk and the rock, but overall the balance is wonderful, and the craftsmanship involved is top-notch. I thought I might end up not liking a song or two, but now five plays in through the album and I'm sold on each song individually. My favourite album of the year thus far, early as it is.

Logitech C920 HD Webcam
Logitech C920 HD Webcam

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing image, sound has issues, 21 Mar 2014
I wanted to love this, so I've tried a bunch of tweaks to get the audio right, but it's just not there. On three separate PCs, the mic drops out here and there, and is often faint. For Skype, I'm using my cheap analog mic for audio.

James Bond Limited Edition Art Print Box Set
James Bond Limited Edition Art Print Box Set
Offered by Your Space UK

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised, but shinier, 21 Mar 2014
Lovely bit of goodies. All of them are here save the usual asterisk (Never Say Never), and a couple of them are beautifully foiled and reflective. I've mounted several of them together and am very pleased to have purchased.

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Sim Free Android Smartphone - Black
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Sim Free Android Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, 21 Mar 2014
I'm one month in and I'm not sure I have anything substantial to complain about.

The waterproofing is a bit of a gimmick for most people, but it does seriously work - I take my phone into the shower daily. The OS is light but loaded with good stuff like swype, and has yet to make me uninstall any bloatware. I've opted out of a couple of useless Sony apps, but otherwise I love the UX.

The box itself is rugged and nice to hold, sturdy and pretty. The only complaint would be that it's sometimes hard to pick up or hold without inadvertently using one of the buttons, hard or soft, but otherwise this is my fave phone ever.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4