Profile for Mr. K. M. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. M. Jones

Mr. K. M. Jones "K." (Cardiff)

Anker® Synthetic Leather Case for ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X 7-Inch Tablet - Slip-In Case Smart Cover Folio Case - Black
Offered by AnkerDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 July 2014
The cover is very ok, but I'm giving it a three star because after buying it and using it, I don;pt think that I would have bought it.

So the appearance and the build of it are fine, perfectly expected for the price. However, there is a slight misfit, and whilst this is imperceptible when using it to read/surf the net/watch films/etc, it does become an issue when you use it for video calls or to take photographs: the camera can become very slightly obscured which can be annoying for the person you are chatting to and would mean that you have to remove the tablet from the case to take clear photographs.

The cover can only function as a non-adjustable landscape stand. I knew this when buying the device, so that is as expected, however the angle that it stand at is awkward and it is frustrating having to adjust my seating angle for comfort (rather than the other way around).

However, the hand strap is a very good feature and this was one of the main reasons why I bought the cover. I do a lot of reading on my tablet, and the size of the memopad makes it a bit tiring to hold when reading for extended periods.

So, if you just want a cover and a basic stand then this is fine, but if you're are more interested in the stand function then I'd advice that you look elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2014 2:03 PM BST

Blackberry Z10 UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Blackberry Z10 UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by In2digital

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 6 Jun 2014
I bought this to replace a broken Asus Phonepad that I had bought from another mobile phone supplier, so used the credit from that to buy the Z10. I didn't really want to spend a lot of money on a top of the range iPhone or Samsung phone and was looking at the Nokia Lumia and other phone around the £170 mark (SIM free), however when I compared the others to the hardware offered by the Z10 I was lured into spending a little bit extra (£50 at the time) to get this phone.

The phone itself is brilliant, with a clear high definition screen (1280 x 768), responsive touch screen tech, smooth changing between applications and good processing power, allowing you to run multiple apps and games with complex graphics without slowdown. It's built very well and the keyboard is the best that I have used on a touchscreen device.

The catch is that OS is not supported well enough by Blackberry, and apps are in short supply mainly because their app portal has not taken off as well as it could have. There's a lot of rubbish on there, and I have quite a few problems with essential apps like Skype and Viber crashing often. You can install apps if you can get your hands on the .apk file though, and this has worked for some apps that I use a lot.

However, as a music player, backup camera, e-reader (the screen is just about big enough to read a pdf) and video player it works really well. The only small thing is that the default music player is a bit too heavy on the high end on certain tracks and it does not include an equalizer, but you can download a better one.

AKG K452 High-Performance On-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone - Blue
AKG K452 High-Performance On-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my partner, she loves them, 22 April 2014
I bought these as a Christmas present for my partner and she likes them a lot. They are very comfortable and the sound is brilliant: smooth yet crisp, good clear low end with nice full mid and treble tones.

They are built well, with a sturdy frame and nice comfortable cushions on the headphones themselves.

The only problem is that for me, as a male with quite large ears, I wouldn't use them because I'm much more of a fan of over the whole ear (flap) headphones. These are half size, and are designed to cover just the opening of the ear canal.

So whilst I wouldn't use these myself, I believe that if you know what you are getting then these are amongst the best you can get for the money.

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 22 April 2014
I have used it for the last few weeks in my Blackberry Z10 and it works a charm. Has increased the storage capacity of my device by threefold for less than fifteen pounds.

Correction
Correction
by Thomas Bernhard

4.0 out of 5 stars Thomas Bernhard - Correction, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Correction (Paperback)
This is the first book that I have tackled by Bernhardt, and I had heard him referred to by novelists like Max Sebald and David Foster Wallace, and the comparisons high modernist writers like Kafka.

Like those mentioned, his style is challenging and at times you need a good amount of resolve to get through the especially tough parts of the book. The prose is written in very long sentences which are penetrating yet repetitive, and are from the point of view of a friend who is out in charge of executing the estate of a now deceased Roithamer - a character modeled both on the author and the fellow Austrian philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. In fact, my interest in Wittgenstein's work is what guided me, like many others, to this remarkable novel. This is what pulled me through, which is not an easy task considering that the book is not split into chapters and because of this I found it easier to read it in long sittings rather than dipping in and out. If you've ever read a Max Sebald or Jose Sarramago then you will may understand where I am coming from.

I have bought Woodcutters and Extinction and I very much plan to read them in the future. The book is mind warping, and this is perhaps why I will wait before I tackle another Bernhard.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard (3 3G WiFi) Light Case - Illumicase Black Leather With Suede Lighted Cover Folio Case With Built In Light - Kindle Tasche / Hülle / Etui

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Design - Caused my Kindle to Crash, 7 Nov 2012
This cover has served me well for a year, and I have not had any issue with it apart the light being a bit rubbish. However the other week my Kindle began to crash a lot. I had to keep on resetting it in order to read anything on it. This started to happen so frequently that it became impossible to read a book on it. After a quick google search I found out that similar problems were being experienced by users who had bought the much more expensive Amazon made faux leather cover. I came across a few threads which claimed that the cover was causing similar issues to the ones I had experienced, and that they would clear up as soon as the device was removed from its cover. I couldn't see how a cover would have such a dramatic effect on the operation of my Kindle, but thought I'd give it a try. Removing my Kindle from the case resolved the screen freezing and crashing issues. In fact, before the recent problems, my Kindle had slowed down a lot (ie. the screen loading after switching between menus and when turning pages), but I hadn't noticed this because the changes had been gradual.

If I'm going to guess then I reckon the magnets used to snap the case shut might be interfering with the device. Either that or the metal fasteners on the cover are causing electrical issues, as is the case with a certain version of the official Amazon Kindle cover [...]

Therefore I would not buy this cover and do some research before you choose an alternative.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2012 12:39 PM GMT