Profile for Philzee > Reviews

Looking: Season 1
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Left Looking for More!, 10 Jun 2014
Incredible!
I was indifferent after the first episode.
Intrigued after the second.
In love after the third.
Its unique pacing takes a little getting used to, but its natural acting and grit are enough to keep you watching. The two combined set it apart from its contemporaries, and its subtle wiles are sure to work on you.

Completely missed this when it was shown on Sky Atlantic, only hearing about it after seeing Johnathan Groff in C.O.G. [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], and wanting to explore more of his work.
Thank goodness for Amazon and Instant Video!

The entire cast is a treat to watch, most notable amongst them being (obviously) Jonathan Groff as Patrick; Murray Bartlett as Dom; Raul Castillo as Richie and Frankie Alvarez as Agustin. Scott Bakula's in there too, and throw in a-bit-o-Brit in the form of Russell Tovey and what more you could ask?!

It's about relationships, plain and simple; but there's little about relationships that is plain and simple, if you follow me. The making of them. The breaking of them. The life that gets in the way. Or the man!

I found Patrick and Raul's story the most engaging (I'm still thinking about Raul Castillo's last speech), but honestly it's a pleasure to be a part of the entire ensemble and their individual story arcs.
Full of friendships and all the extremes that come along with such a contract, this show is sure to work its quiet magic on you. It's understated, but not under valued.

C.O.G. [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
C.O.G. [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Groff
Offered by supermart_usa

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Tragic!, 4 Jun 2014
This is a delightful film that will win over most of its audience with its humour and natural light-heartedness. It’s an unusual film that will be the better for finding its niche admirers and keeping well away from anything as bland as mainstream.

Right off the bat it had me smiling and surprised at the quality of its colourful language, and I soon found I was falling in love with it. Never heard of Jonathan Groff before but I’ll definitely be looking out for him again.
I love how he portrays David, maintaining his open mind and cheerful outlook despite a wealth of uncertainty. He meets characters as colourful as the language, but the help they offer doesn’t always end well.
That’s what’s great about the film; there is a certain tension underlying most of David’s journey, and because of the wonderful humour throughout, the few moments it has of tension and gravity are more keenly felt.

It has an uncanny feel; pacing, not to mention the characters; you never really know how to take any of them; whether or not they're genuine. It's this ambiguity that intrigues and provides some shocking - and some hilarious - moments.

He eventually finds his way to Christianity via C.O.G, a local fellowship. The tension is most evident here as Jon (Denis O’Hare) is a real enigma. Despite the platitudes and sermons he spouts you get the impression he’s a bit of a loose cannon.
O’Hare really shines here; he does a great job of presenting one face whilst just showing us a glimpse of his true one.
David’s conversion is wonderfully done and confirms, as does another intense scene, that Jonathan Groff is a superb actor, entirely natural and wholly believable.

The ending has received some criticism and I must agree; I found it awful. I'm not overly concerned with happy endings, but this was way too abrupt.
It wouldn’t be half as bad if it had been balanced by a glimmer of hope, but no; we get a rather scathing and offensive diatribe from Jon, to which poor David can do nothing more than offer a meek agreement that he is as sick as they come.
Crickey! It took me a few minutes to get over that ending, especially considering how easy it would have been to have added a spark of something good for David.

Don’t let that put you off though; yes I fervently wish it were different, but the film is still incredibly enjoyable. It’s a warning, I guess, that sometimes despite our best intentions, or our furious denial, you can’t refute who you are, no matter whom that may be, or what you throw it its way. That sounds depressing, and it is, hence the contentious end. Do yourself a favour: the moment the screen goes (unceremoniously) black, don your director’s hat and make up your own!

Chiliad: A Meditation
Chiliad: A Meditation
by Clive Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Barker at his Best!, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Chiliad: A Meditation (Hardcover)
So again another morsel manages to push through the All-Consuming Abarat to whet appetites but not - sadly - to satiate them.
I loved the book - hated the brevity!

It is classic Barker: metaphysical and philosophical, unique in its own exploration of the fantastique; offering a semblance of the quotidian that on closer inspection is bizarre and refreshingly alternative.
The story possesses the quality of a forbidden attraction; those things that are intrinsically bad for us but whose brief thrill beats any lasting sense of shame. I don't know how Barker does it; it's just a story - and a depressingly brief one at that - but it's so much more.

I love Barker's aphorisms; his social media page is awash with wonderful insights and points both poetic and profound. For me, this books reads as an extended metaphor; poetic, aphoristic, at once insightful and obscure, weighty but never cumbersome.
I loved too its melancholy feel; the rhythm of its bleak heart and the meter of inevitability and consequence. In many ways it's tragic; the narrator woebegone and witness to the sorrowful and spiteful. Yet the wider concept is unspoilt by such meagre emotion; it remains intact and ineffable despite the feelings it invokes, much like the Christ who is referenced throughout.

I read it in two hours, but I've already thought about it more than some books that take two weeks.
The relationship between the narrator and the reader is similar in feel to Mister B. Gone, but more subtle. His meditations on the events that unfold link the two tales separated by the chiliad and serve as the unambiguous dénouement; that is to say: you're bound to see it coming. However the narrator is prepared for this as he concludes the tale leaving no sense of dissatisfaction.

It's a beautiful book, too; good quality paper, well bound; cool dust cover and the two illustrations throughout the book are a nice touch. To be honest, considering the wealth of images that could have accompanied this work, it's a pity there isn't more. And, (again) considering Barker's own talent for depicting the visual, a few from his own brush would have made this a much richer morsel.

As a collective though, and as a veteran Barker fan, this glimpse into his vintage narrative is welcome and I hope it will prove a prodigious dent in the flood gates of new and similar material.

Free Fall [DVD]
Free Fall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hanno Koffler
Offered by fat_buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars Disarming and Affectionate, 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Free Fall [DVD] (DVD)
Apparently it's been branded the German Brokeback Mountain for its obvious similarities, but I enjoyed this a lot more. I always thought BM was a film about homosexual men made for a heterosexual audience. I don't believe that's the case here.

It tells the rather tried and tested story of a man (Marc) realising he has feelings for another man (Kay) at a time in his life that is ironically inopportune.

However, it's disarming and affectionate nature allows that it pulls off the whole "straight-guy-who-belatedly-realises-he's-not" with a fresh feel, assured script, and (always a winner) damn good acting.
It's entirely natural and therefore believable; you'll find no contrivance here, no clumsiness.
Indeed, a factor that sets this apart from similar films I've seen is the confident way it displays affection. Once you get past the initial and (a tad unnecessarily) awkward encounters there is a wonderful intimacy conveyed between the pair that isn't obscured by excessive shadow or so brief it would be missed in a blink. This lingering is wonderful and I hope emulation will follow!

I would have enjoyed a few more conversations between Marc & Kay in order to voice the progress of their relationship, particularly Marc's. There's only really the one in-depth discussion and it is so well done - full of subtleties, frustration and affection - that it made me feel the loss of similar scenes all the more.

This is an accomplished, confident film that is sure to please the most discerning viewer. It explores the ultimate perils of suppression and the fools it will not suffer, as well as the prejudices people harbour and the damage they can do.
The ending is a tad ambiguous but thankfully not as tragic as the film leads you to believe. However, it is likely the most realistic there could have been, and leaves a wealth of possible outcomes to ponder.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 2:37 PM GMT

Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy)
Annihilation (The Southern Reach Trilogy)
by Jeff VanderMeer

5.0 out of 5 stars VanderMeer puts the Fun in Fungi!, 27 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Striking a distinctly Lovecraftian chord, VanderMeer treats us to a terrifying slog through an area that lures with its familiarity yet haunts with its strangeness.
It's a slim book with big ideas, referencing a vague Event that has sealed off an area (rather stereotypically referred to as "X") from the rest of the world by means of an enigmatic "border".
Into this area a secret branch of the government (known as the Southern Reach) has thrown and continues to throw expeditions ostensibly to understand more about it. But intentions, like everything in this book, are obfuscated at best.
As well as Lovecraft overtones I felt a distinct kinship with Daniwelski's House of Leaves and more than a few nods to VandeerMeer's canon.

I loved the story, and will eagerly await the not too distant second & third parts.
However, it wasn't love at first chapter for me.
Initially I found the story contrived. The rather frivolous explanation for the expedition not being allowed any "high-tech items" grated my sense of belief slightly. I thought it better, if you want to tell a story sans the trappings of digital magery, to set an appropriate time-frame. Failing that there's always Steampunk! However, later explanations present a more plausible reasoning for a government that would deny an expeditionary force every means to achieve & survive its main objective...

The lack of using names bugged me as well. Instead everyone refers to everyone else by their chosen scientific field: the anthropologist; the surveyor; the biologist.
I got tired with this quickly as again it felt contrived, lazy even. It's a clumsy device to sustain for an entire novel and certainly makes empathy with its characters a little harder; the narrative a tad more cold.
However, these are small gripes, and I found the novel to have a turning point that laid all these concerns aside.
Indeed, as the novel progressed I found its deliberate oddness began to endear me toward the larger story; it really does get under your skin (pun definitely intended).

This is a creepy story that simmers with uncertainties and builds tension like few other books I've read. Fans of VanderMeer will be expecting strangeness and Strange with a capital is what you get.
A lot is intimated and it's down to the reader to finish the (more often than not) completely distressing implications of action and intent, on both sides of the border.
Its stark and unusual setting unnerves and the imagery is certain to live with you, as will the final thoughts presented in the weighty and uncanny dénouement.

If you're a VanderMeer fan you'll love it - fungus and all!
If you've never read VanderMeer here is as good a place to begin as any: It's accessible, compelling and does nothing to stale the newness of its Weird.

Soundless Wind Chime [DVD] [2009]
Soundless Wind Chime [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Yulai Lu
Offered by fat_buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars Resonant, 28 Feb 2013
Ambitious and enigmatic, Soundless Windchime appears at first to buckle under the weight of its own profundity, however, the intelligent direction and assured acting saves it, I think, from abject frustration despite its irredeemable obscurity. Just!
There is a wholly human quality to this film that excuses its beguiling nature, exploring as it does what a simple act of kindness may accomplish. I found its lack of clarity to only slightly trouble my sense of frustration; never reaching the point where I wanted to give up watching, and that is completely down to the themes the film explores (kindness, friendship; loss, love; death), and the acting, which is natural and accomplished.

The opening imagery is deviceful and evocative; intriguing instantly and hinting at the surrealism to come.
Its uniqueness outweighs its inherent obliqueness but doesn't quite mitigate the wish for coherence. It piques ones interest immediately, however that initial impetus is lost to ambiguity.
Perhaps that's the point, and ironically the film resounds as one attempts to battle with its obscurity.
I agree it's an ambitious film, certainly in its core genre, and I was mesmerised by its seeming profundity, which thankfully never felt contrived.
I don't think I'll ever fully understand its intricacies, and there's a big part of me that would love the gaps filled in and the chronology defined. On the other hand, it is fun to speculate on those parts of the story the film wilfully conceals.

Ricky and Pascal inhabit this eclectic montage assuredly despite their overt timidity, and their blossoming relationship really is great to watch; affecting with its authentic, genuine nature.
The films surreal quality confers a tangible sense of melancholy which never detracts from the overall enjoyment. Yes it's sad, but not in a cheap way. There are moments of levity made priceless by their scarcity, and its expression of a very human need is seductive enough that its weighty intrigue does not feel cumbersome.

The lack of narrative didn't bother me as much as I thought it would as the film communicates in many other ways: the musical dissonance is integral and is used to convey mood perspicaciously, distorted or out-of-focus use of frame effectively communicates a wealth of emotions as does the prolonged looks between the characters.
I'd love to list the parts of the story that baffled me but fear, perhaps ironically, that too much would be given away.
This film cannot help itself - it will certainly resonate with the viewer if open to and accepting of its obscurity, which will confound even as it intrigues with its surrealism. Be warned though: multiple veiwings are inevitable...

Railsea
Railsea
by China Miéville

5.0 out of 5 stars &, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Railsea (Hardcover)
Miéville's obvious affection in writing for the younger reader is apparent & this story chugs along at an intelligently playful clip. In short it narrates the varied concerns & efforts of Sham ap Soorap, begrudging doctors apprentice aboard the mole-train Medes; under the auspices of Captain Naphi as she hunts the yellow - sorry: ivory - coloured mole-cum-behemoth known as Mocker-Jack, & the effects of his unwitting discovery of evidence that there is an end to the interminable tangle of tracks known as the Railsea.

The initial impression I had when I started reading was that this was similar in feel to Iron Council: an old western-feel yarn atop a train, however, as the story untangles it becomes clear - by the introduction of electrical devices & ruminations on epochs known as the Computational Era - that this is not the case. The use of such at first seems anachronistic, but the disparate parts are juggled sagaciously in the apt hands of Miéville so that it becomes a kind of fluid-disparity; elision with dulcet prose.

The story works on many levels and is what - in this reviewer's humble opinion - transcends the book from good to great.
The story is a yarn-that-rips as it riffs from Melville's (Moby) Dick with clever word-play, use of alliteration, sportive solecism and playful portmanteau (unsnarlable & decidalise being my respective favourites); the cheeky nomenclature of the Railsea's Deities (That Apt Ohm, the godsquabble to name a few); the clever use of ferro- prefixing anything nautical; the various types of salvage (nu-, arche-, alt- & dei-), & of course all that is enticingly hinted at or left unsaid between the lines (pun most definitely intended).

At first I thought the use of the ampersand purely a stylish literary quirk but oh what a fool I was for thinking Miéville would do anything so whimsical...
& = the Railsea, or more specifically: the tangle the Railsea represents. It's allegorical mastery & this reader was unashamedly impressed!

Miéville's penchant for political allegory is also present and becomes most demonstrative toward the end of the novel with effective imagery and extended metaphor. I loved it again; an eloquently detailed left-wing dig at right-wing state monopoly capitalism.

I have enjoyed Miéville's word-travails to other weird and bizarre reaches of his literary mind but none as much as Bas-Lag, of which Railsea is relishingly reminiscent. & if you're a Miéville fan, particularly a Bas-Lag Miéville fan, you will certainly not want to miss this.
The similarities to Iron Council are blatant but superficial & one cannot help but think of The Scar's Avanc when the Medes is chasing Mocker-Jack.
Was this intentional then, a kind of elided version of Scar and Council; Bas-Lag for younger readers? I'm not sure it matters but it does interest me. Unfortunately I no longer fall under the genre of young-adult and I did approach this with guarded optimism, however, if you overlook the unnecessarily short chapters and simplified plot you'll still find a story brimming with inventive ideas and cannily deviceful.

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginning - Good Ending - Shame About the Longueur..., 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Hardcover)
All the positive reviews for this book depress me; I feel like I must have missed something that others' seem to have so effortlessly got. What is it that I'm missing?
Being an avid admirer of King's impressive corpus the fact that my interest in this book began to wane less than half way through took me completely by surprise.
I loved how the book began; it gets straight to the point introducing us to the main character with King's usual panache, and before we know it we're whisked from the world of wi-fi and rip-off to the bucolic and reasonable time of the late fifties.
This is a wet-dream for King as his love for the Land of Ago is evident in every sentence. When you consider the job his intrepid time-traveller takes and the way he spends his (interminable) days' you can just see King doing exactly that.
And largely King's anamnesis thrives at the outset; I found myself engaged and seduced by the telling of a comparatively more innocent age, throw in a nod to It and I was sold.
The idea is to use this rabbit-hole of time to prevent the assassination of JFK but before attempting to alter such a pivotal moment Jake (the time traveller) attempts to right a no lesser wrong but one that has fewer worldly implications. To avoid spoilers I'll omit specifics in favour of: "an unspecified murderous rampage". And it makes good reading.
I loved also the sense of time and place; how King makes parallels to the darkness in Derry (the It tie-in) and the darkness Jake feels when seeing the Texas Book Depository for the first time. This makes excellent, compelling story-telling; the kind that gets the proverbial glue to stick your eyes to the page.
I even loved the bridge between Jake's efforts in Derry and his move to Dallas, which shows us King at his most reflective.

Then Jake arrives in Jodie, Texas and the book enters its longueur phase. At least for me that is; the plethora of positive reviews puts me firmly in the minority but hey balance is good, right?
So why did I dislike it so much? Because it becomes more Romance Novel than Time Travel Novel and the story grinds to a quite literal and jarring halt. Jake get's a job as a teacher, he makes friends, meets and falls in love with the fragile Sadie and if the previous section of the book was King at his most reflective this section is King at his most saccharine; I audibly groaned at some of the lines he put on paper; they reminded me of an adolescence first stab at a love poem!
Maybe that's a tad harsh but I really could not have cared any less for Sadie Sadie Sadie. The problem I think is that Jake has 4-plus-something years' to kill once he gets to Jodie before the assassination takes place and that time is filled with not a lot. He encourages the kids' he teaches and puts on a few plays, he lays some bets (the benefit of hindsight before foresight), he tries to write a book and realises he loves it so much here he's never going back. He makes a big impression and everyone loves him.
This presents a big problem for me. The beginning of the book makes clear the so-called Butterfly Effect: change the minutest detail in the past and in changes the future, and he is urged (read: warned) to keep a low profile.
So what does he do: he becomes a teacher?
Before this he worries constantly about said butterfly effect but when he gets to Jodie he decides to throw caution to the wind? I don't think he worries once about the lives he's influencing that would not have been influenced so, and what that'll do to their futures and by extension the future at large.
That is of course until he starts his pain-staking surveillance of the Oswalds. After all this time not worrying about the causatum of his actions Jake actually states something like: I daren't intervene in case I change the future. I'm not joking; that's what King has Jake say. It's not out of context either: it's said when a woman asks if Jake is going to break up a fight between Lee Harvey and his wife.
I was baffled! The entire premise of the book is about changing the future, specifically the JFK assassination. There is this whole window of uncertainty excuse pertaining to whether or not Oswald acted alone, which for me is way too flimsy. Just kill the guy for Kennedy's sake!
(The surveillance sections had me baffled also: Jake goes to a lot of trouble to get all manner of surveillance paraphernalia to spy on LHO and I really don't get what it was all for; I don't think there is one iota of useful information he procures that justifies the amount of ink King gave to it. It certainly didn't close any "window-of-uncertainty" and for me the book would have benefited from this being cut. Maybe King realised he was labouring the whole "idyllic living" point and just needed to throw in a bit about Oswald to justify the front cover photo and title...)

Blessedly the longue phase ends and events took over to make me forget I was struggling to pass the sentences by. That's not difficult mind considering the subject matter: fictional assassinations make compelling reading so how much more a factual one. And that's if the assassination happens at all (I would never dream of spoiling it for anyone).
I fervently hope that if you have not yet read it and mean to that you enjoy the 3 quarters I struggled with more than I. All of this being said I don't regret giving my time to reading it; it's King and the King just has to be read.
Guardedly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 4:55 PM BST

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow

3.0 out of 5 stars Sonically Minimalistic and (almost) Emotionally Vapid..., 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
Received this as a gift for Christmas - big fan of Kate - here're my thoughts:
For an album that pays homage to winter I must say it certainly left me cold. Thematic albums are nothing new and when done well are able to enhance the listeners experience, however, after listening to this album a number of times I think Kate has taken the theme too far: each sound-scape lacks structure and suffers from its own prolixity; meandering with little or nothing to delineate any sonic flare or emotional engagement - much like a landscape rendered bland and immutable by snow.
The length of these songs is wholly unnecessary and seemingly serves no other purpose than to stretch out the play time of the album. For a number of the tracks I couldn't help thinking: stream-of-consciousness; it seemed like Kate sat down at the piano, started playing a few repetitive chords and then started singing whatever words came into her head, and didn't stop! I'm sure that's not how it happened but whilst listening to the ridiculously drawn out minutes of the first 3 tracks I'm not sure what Kate thought they gained by their aimlessness.
As a comparative Aerial was far more accessible; possessing music that instantly engaged and portrayed a natural flow. What I mean by that is Kate strung more than one coherent sentence together - in this album far too often do we get Kate muttering one or two lines and then so many minutes of sparse music before the next. Not always, mind you - but it happened enough that I found it only added to the sparsity of the music.
Whilst I don't like artists forcing their offspring on us (I find it a tad presumptuous), Snowflake greatly benefits from her son's vocals. If it wasn't for the painfully drawn out end to the song (Bertie singing two lines - Kate singing the chorus - rinse, repeat until water -torture springs to mind) I think I'd name it one of the best on the album.
That accolade I think should go to Wild Man, for no other reason that it is the most accessible song on the album: it has a hook; a chorus to define it and (for me) the most sonically exciting minutes' of the albums 65.
Lake Tahoe begins promisingly but its 11 minutes' long and honestly after the first 5 you've heard everything it has to offer, which isn't a lot.
Misty seems to be a favourite for most fans' and whilst the idea of the song is novel (not to mention purely Kate) its 13 minutes' kill any charm it began with.
I think Snowed In is an ok track; it has more to define it both lyrically and sonically but still fails to offer much emotional engagement.
Like Pie from Aerial the less said about the title track the better...
Among Angels is a nice closer: the piano is slightly more diverse than in some tracks and the lyrics are ardent and affecting.
Can I see myself listening to this much? I don't think so if I'm being honest. Ponderous and slow the tone that Kate's lower register sadly exacerbates. For those that are able to tap into its magic: fair-play; I am indeed jealous, for me: just leaves me numb.

Sony MHCEC79I.CEK Mini System with Direct iPod Dock
Sony MHCEC79I.CEK Mini System with Direct iPod Dock

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed; not the sound for me..., 29 Sep 2011
Looking to upgrade my 10 year plus Panasonic for no other reason than it was old and I felt I should, I decided to go for this impressive looking item based on three factors:
1. It looked good
2. The reviews on Amazon were positive
3. iPhone dock

Sadly good looks and positive reviews does not mean I like the sound. I like a crisp, clear and full sound and this just throws muffled bass out that makes me feel like I'm listening to it with ears full of cotton wool (I assure I am not). It comes with the usual preset EQ's alas none of which help; they're all just variations of a muffled sound.
The volume is amazing but ultimately pointless; I would never be able to listen to it at even half max volume for fear of going deaf!
Never mind, said I, as I listen to music mostly at low levels whilst going to sleep. Alas this powerful looking beast couldn't impress me here either. The hum of the machine is so audible when listening to music on low levels I found it to distract from the music I was listening to. It varies as well, and not in a good way; there is a fan at the back and sometimes that too gets noisy adding a whirring noise to the already distracting hum. So, if you listen to a lot of music at quiet levels be warned it will distract.

I then decided to try my iPhone in the dock and unfortunately this isn't what I was expecting either. I thought I'd be able to just dock it and go so to speak. Instead I get a message that states the device is not optimised for the iPhone and as such playback quality may be compromised (or words to that effect). Well in my opinion the sound couldn't get any worse anyway but in its defense there was no more noticeable lessening of quality. It could mean though that you have to place the phone in Airplane Mode which really bugs me, however if you don't you get the usual interference/feedback beeps!
Annoying to say the least; I don't want to have to place my phone in Airplane Mode whenever I want to dock it to listen to my tunes, I own a Sony alarm clock with iPhone dock and I don't have to do this with that.

So all told I'm disappointed with this product and will be changing it again soon. If you are thinking of purchasing this consider the facts that it is bass heavy, has annoying hum when listening to music at low levels and does not make it too convenient if you're docking an iPhone.
Overall feeling: disappointment - at least my Panasonic's been given a new lease of life!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 12:15 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4