ARRAY(0xa26a55d0)

Profile for K. L. Wren > Reviews

Content by K. L. Wren
Top Reviewer Ranking: 37

K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (Herefordshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop Rucksack with Grey Interior
AmazonBasics DSLR and Laptop Rucksack with Grey Interior

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, protective rucksack for cameras, laptop and other gadgets - unbeatable value for money!, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been impressed with all of the Amazon 'Basics' products I've ordered and found them to be anything but basic in terms of design, quality and functionality. This rucksack is no exception.

It is divided into three main compartments:

* Front: slim organiser-style with ample pockets for mobile phone, MP3 player, tablet and other small, slim gadgets, accessories, USB cables and power leads.

* Main compartment for camera storage and transit: this has padded dividers which can be arranged into up to 9 padded sections to house camera bodies, lenses, hoods and other accessories.

* Back: large slim compartment to carry a laptop up to 17"

Externally there are straps to secure a tripod and two smaller side pouches for other small accessories eg memory cards, filters, batteries or even a drink carton!

I only have one (borrowed!) D-SLR camera with additional close-up and wide angle lenses but also to my waterproof cameras, tablet, and other gadgets for which there was ample room and the movable padded dividers enabled easy access to everything. Fully-loaded, everything is well protected and the rucksack should withstand some rough treatment without risk of damaging the contents.

It is padded throughout - front, back, sides and base and, very pleasing to see, along the back to create an air-flow channel to help prevent getting a sweaty back. Once fully-packed with cameras and laptop, it is heavy to carry - not because the rucksack is heavy but because I like to take an occasional break from carrying kit on my back. I'd like to have seen studs on the base so when I put it down on the ground, eg at a busy station, there is some protection from scuffs for the rucksack fabric but also to keep it clean. I think this is an oversight.

I was especially impressed when I opened the larger laptop compartment to find a very useful rain-cover. I hadn't spotted this was included so it was a real bonus. If/when this is no longer showerproof, it can be resprayed with NikWax (or similar)

Apart from the lack of studs on the base, my only other niggle is that for me as a slender size 10-12 female, I find the shoulder straps too wide and the strap across the chest hasn't been designed for female anatomy! However, it is a perfect fit on my 42" broader-chested husband and he found it very comfortable for both city commuting and on a photographic weekend in the Brecon Beacons.

Pros
Well designed with lots of pockets and protective padding
Good quality throughout - fabric and fittings
Tough and hard-wearing to withstand some rough treatment
Bonus rain-cover - excellent and can be re-proofed
Lightweight - for such a sturdy and well-padded rucksack
Chest strap and belt for comfort
Padded back with air-flow channel - helps avoid a sweaty back
Grab handle for easy carrying/lifting
Excellent value for money
So much easier to carry a rucksack than a camera bag, and it keeps hands free

Cons
Great fit for men but less so for slim women - the shoulder straps are too wide
No studs on base to protect from scuffs and for hygiene

I would definitely recommend it to anyone needing to carry camera or similar electronic equipment through busy towns/cities and for commuting but it's equally at home in the great outdoors. A good buy - especially at such a low price. Definitely a bargain and I'd defy anyone to find better value for money anywhere!

Eyelet Plier 180mm (7in.) With 100pc Eyelets
Eyelet Plier 180mm (7in.) With 100pc Eyelets
Offered by TheBigShip

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective eyelet fitting tool that works, 7 April 2014
This is a value-for-money eyelet fitting tool. Simply punch a hole in the materials to be joined, push an eyelet through one side, balance a second eyelet on the plier then squeeze the two together. It needs some pressure so you'll need reasonably strong hands and they're likely to grow tired after fitting a lot of these. Alignment is good and I had no failures or wasted eyelets. For just a short run of about 20-30 eyelets to be fitted it's the perfect tool but hard work if mass-fitting eyelets. A supply of eyelets are included and extra supplies are readily available. I can't fault it, especially for the price!

Rolson 7in. Eyelet Plier With 100pc Eyelets (H) (20844)td
Rolson 7in. Eyelet Plier With 100pc Eyelets (H) (20844)td
Offered by hlinks-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective eyelet fitting tool - that works!, 7 April 2014

ROLSON 180MM (7'') EYELET PLIER 20844
ROLSON 180MM (7'') EYELET PLIER 20844
Offered by GSA*Retail

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective eyelet fitter, 7 April 2014
This is a value-for-money eyelet fitting tool. Simply punch a hole in the materials to be joined, push an eyelet through one side, balance a second eyelet on the plier then squeeze the two together. It needs some pressure so you'll need reasonably strong hands and they're likely to grow tired after fitting a lot of these. Alignment is good and I had no failures or wasted eyelets. For just a short run of about 20-30 eyelets to be fitted it's the perfect tool. A supply of eyelets are included and extra supplies are readily available. I can't fault it, especially for the price!

PrimeCases® iPad mini All Weather Waterproof Case Cover Bag Sleeve With Adjustable Neck Strap
Offered by PrimeCases

4.0 out of 5 stars Protects an 8" tablet from the rain, 7 April 2014
I'm really pleased with this. It easily holds an 8" tablet with room to spare yet without being baggy. The touch-screen can be operated perfectly and wifi reception doesn't appear to be affected. At the top are three seals beneath the press stud closure. I wouldn't trust it sufficiently to take it swimming but have used it in torrential showers with no leaks (after testing it in the bath first!).

The probable weakness is the neck cord inserted beneath a strip of vinyl on the reverse side. In time, if carrying a heavy'ish tablet then I anticipate with neck cord will tear its way through. That said, it's a relatively cheap case and if it lasts a few years then I'll be happy.

The Children's Garden
The Children's Garden
by Luana Mary Wells
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightfully nostalgic introduction to flower gardening, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Children's Garden
This is a biased review because the book was written and illustrated by my mother-in-law in her younger days.

As a former Kew Gardens horticulturalist, Luana knows her flowers and plants inside-out - and even today at 91 she can identify them all and even remembers their Latin names. Although the book, written in 1959-60, is undeniably dated now the flowers themselves haven't changed and this is a delightfully nostalgic introduction to flower gardening for an older child with tips on planting and making the most of a domestic garden.

What a happy surprise to find the book still available here on Amazon.

The children's garden
The children's garden
by Luana Mary Wells

This review is from: The children's garden (Hardcover)

What a happy surprise to find the book still available here on Amazon.

Waterproof Case for the Apple iPad Mini Retina Display - iPad Mini - Tablet P...
Offered by Tech-engine

4.0 out of 5 stars Protects an 8" tablet from heavy rain, 7 April 2014

Delivery was from China which I hadn't noticed at the time of ordering. However, it arrived well within the expected delivery timeslot. A good deal all round and I would happily order it again from the same supplier.

Pampers Fresh Clean Wipes - 12 x Packs of 64 (768 Wipes)
Pampers Fresh Clean Wipes - 12 x Packs of 64 (768 Wipes)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft but strong, lightly-scented wipes in a re-sealable pack, 5 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know parents and grandparents who use these for their intended purpose - cleaning babies' hands, faces and bottoms.

In my case, I don't have a baby but I am a very outdoorsy person and my husband and use them for outings, sailing, kayaking, camping and for hygiene after handling our pets. Each wipe measures approx 17cm square, is sufficiently moist for cleaning both hands and face with just one wipe and our skin dries quickly afterwards without leaving any stickiness or greasiness but just a 'clean' feeling. To the touch they feel like soft, slightly-stretchy, cotton/lint cloth, are strong and don't tear. Packaging is good too - the pack can be resealed to maintain moisture and freshness along with their light, delicate, clean and fresh 'just washed' scent.

It would be unfair to award them anything other than five stars for their scent, strength, cleansing abilities and resealable packaging and all-round quality. Perfect for babies and adults and a multitude of uses - and good value too. I will be ordering these again when I've used my current bumper supply.

McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 1 User -1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 1 User -1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, fast to install, reliable protection for your PC or laptop, 28 Mar 2014
I ordered this to replace AVG Internet Security which offered renewal at £38.24 which didn't impress me as it costs far less than this to buy a new pack and start afresh. Although I've been very happy with AVG over the last year, it's time for a change and having recently started using McAfee on a tablet, it was a logical choice for my PC.

Installation is either via the enclosed CD or direct from the McAfee website. Inserting the CD automatically activates download from the web to ensure the it is fully up to date and upon completion it is registered using the supplied product key. The process took just 9 minutes via our 12mb broadband line.

Customised scans can be set up to scan your PC/laptop at any day/week/month interval you choose. Email and web browsing is protected and there's a spam filter which works well. There are also some extras included within Total Security, ie online backup to McAfee's online storage space, Network Defence to identify all computers connected to your network - including uninvited intruders, Quick Clean to delete clutter, old cache, history and cookies from your browser and Parental Controls to control how long family members can stay online and which sites they can visit.

My McAfee has now been in constant 24/7 use for five weeks and during this time it has been running in the background with no noticeable performance loss on my PC. It provides peace of mind and I haven't found anything to fault at all on the program. I received a single user licence of Total Protection 2014 which, to my surprise, is much more expensive than the 3-user pack which provides especially good value for money. I wouldn't hesitate to use McAfee Total Protection again in the future, but I'd opt for the multi-licence pack for my PC and two laptops in the household.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20