Profile for K. L. Wren > Reviews

Content by K. L. Wren
Top Reviewer Ranking: 47

K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (Herefordshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Omron Walking Style IV Step Counter - Blue, Size 1
Omron Walking Style IV Step Counter - Blue, Size 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate slimline lightweight pedometer - great for tracking daily exercise, 26 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small, slim pedometer unit measuring a mere 57 x 42 x 13mm thick weighing just 23g, ie the most compact I've owned to date and certainly a very neat little unit.

Three buttons on the front access the simple options with the Mode button indicating distance covered, calories used (estimated based on BMI), steps taken and how many of these were aerobic.

I've used the earlier versions of this Walking Style pedometer, found it highly accurate and enjoyed monitoring my daily activity levels. It's surprising how the daily steps mount up even on general activities around the home so the daily recommended 10k steps is not always a long hike away.

This version IV addresses the minor design faults of the earlier version :
1. The older model was permanently switched on with no means to turn it off hence the battery drained within a few months, even when not in use. This switches off automatically after five minutes to conserve battery life.

2. The battery compartment cover needed to be removed with a screw which was highly impractical and inconvenient. This has a small but secure catch so changing the CR2032 battery doesn't require carrying a screwdriver.

Initial setup wasn't as clear as it could be with an initial flashing display reading 'HELLO' following by flashing kg/lb icons. I fiddled with the up/down key buttons but didn't seem to be getting anywhere. However, once I consulted the less-than-clear instructions and discovered pressing the 'Home' button set each option, it took seconds to add my unit preferences (metric vs imperial), my body weight, height and average length of stride then store the settings. A more comprehensive user manual can be downloaded and I think some users are likely to need it.

Unlike many pedometers which use a very insecure clip to fix to a waistband etc, this Omron IV can be dropped into a trouser or shirt pocket or even a bag (but must be inside the pocket or bag rather than swinging loosely from it) and then fastened in place with the clipped lanyard. There is no need to clip it to a waistband where it can easily be flicked off because it doesn't work on the 'old fashioned' pendulum principle used by more basic models but instead has a much more accurate and effective 3D sensor. This not only measures the number of steps taken but also distinguishes between average steps and those more active/aerobic steps of a brisk walk, also measuring the distance covered, calories walked off and all are recorded in its 7-day memory, but there is no USB connection allowing download of this data.

Being such a slimline unit and so lightweight, I completely forgot I was wearing/carrying it during the course of my day. When compared to other models and on counting my steps manually, I found it to be completely accurate. Even when I went for a short drive, it didn't register the jolts but simply resumed step-counting when I left the car. I couldn't ask for a more accurate pedometer and would highly recommend this one.

Cyberlink Power DVD 14 Ultra (PC)
Cyberlink Power DVD 14 Ultra (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, high-performing 5-star all-media player - but at a price, 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Power DVD14 Ultra is the latest media player from Cyberlink and plays absolutely everything from Blu-Ray, 3D, HD, DVD, AVCHD, 4K (untested) to MP4 and MTS movie files which can be imported straight from the camera/camcorder as well as batching photos together for slideshows. The ‘True Theater’ feature is superb - poor colours on original files can be brought to life in better quality visuals than the original files. As a dedicated YouTube fan (and with several channels of my own) a feature I especially enjoy is watching upscaled and enhanced YouTube and Facebook videos with all the wobbliness removed.

This version also offers a generous 10GB of Cloud storage so files can be viewed anywhere on a PC, laptop, smartphone (android or iphone) and files on these can be seamlessly synched to the Cloud storage.

It’s a powerful package for anyone regularly using multimedia files, especially when on the move. It’s intuitive to use, can be remotely controlled via smartphone. There’s really nothing at all not like – other than the high price point. It’s undoubtedly the best media-playing package I have ever used and while I am thoroughly enjoying its features and benefits which deserve its 5-star rating on performance, I have to question whether I would pay £67 for it.

Ultrasport Women's Biking Shirt Short Sleeve - Black/White, Small
Ultrasport Women's Biking Shirt Short Sleeve - Black/White, Small

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective wicking from mesh-backed cycling T shirt, 14 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although only a hobbyist cyclist, I ordered this T shirt for my casual bike rides and in the midst of the summer 2014 heatwave it was a godsend.

It's a well-designed T shirt made from a very effective 90% polyester/10% spandex wicking material which wicks sweat away from the body and washes and dries fast. Best of all, has a mesh back and under-arm which is perfect for cycling in hot weather and the best I've found for effectively wicking perspiration. Now, in cooler temperatures, it's still very comfortable with an additional layer on top. Around the rear waist are three very convenient and easily-reached pockets, 2 narrower side pockets and a larger one in the middle. There's reflective hi-vis piping to the front seams but none to the rear eg across the pockets, which is a little surprising. The bottom is elasticated and has an internal rubberised strip to prevent it riding up in use.

Sizing is quite generous. For guidance, I'm normally a size 10-12 and ordered the small size which is a loose fit. For a cycling top, a closer fit would be beneficial and the extra-small would have been better.

Having worn the T shirt in a variety of weather conditions, washed and dried it several times over the last month, it has consistently performed well. I can't fault it and it's good value for money too.

Ring RCT5 Compact First Aid Kit
Ring RCT5 Compact First Aid Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic first aid kit for very small injuries, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hadn’t expected to need to use my first aid kit on the very weekend I received it.

On unpacking it, it seemed to offer a good range of first aid essentials, eg plasters, safety pins antiseptic wipes, latex gloves.... However, when my husband accidentally sliced a piece of skin from his thumb, its shortcomings were all too clear. A large plaster was needed but only one-size of narrow strips were included so we had to reach for our own supply instead. A crepe bandage was then needed to hold the large plaster in place – again, none were included which meant a quick Sunday afternoon dash to the nearest town before 4pm closing.

Based on this experience, I would consider the first aid kit to be only very basic but useful for small, minor cuts and injuries. With its zip-up case it’s easy to carry or stow away n the car but to deal with real-life cuts and grazes etc, a greater range of contents are needed, ie a range of sizes of plasters (essential) and a crepe bandage in place of the foil blanket, triangular bandage, 12 safety pins and 8 silica gel sachets!

On a plus note though, the antiseptic wipes ensured we were able to clean the wound before applying a Savlon spray-on plaster to seal the wound and then a larger plaster from our own supplies.

Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus white
Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus white

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good phone but let down by poor camera, 19 July 2014
This is a good phone which works well for making and receiving calls, internet browsing is good, the display is excellent, speaker sound quality superb and general build is good. It feels sleek to hold but in warm weather can feel slippery which is easily overcome by slipping it into a gel case such as:SOFT GEL PHONE CASE

The only disappointment for me is the camera. I've used many samsung cameras, Samsung camera-phones and Samsung tablet cameras (including the Galaxy Tab 3 8" which has the best tablet camera I've used) over the years and all have been superb, greatly exceeding expectations. Sadly this doesn't apply to this camera where unless photos are taken in bright light they tend to appear muddy and although the video records audio very clearly, the colour balance is poor and can change even within a single shot.

If you're looking for a reliable and affordable touchscreen smartphone which performs well then don't hesitate but, if you regularly use the camera for anything other than quick snapshots or quality is important then look for an alternative because this is the phone's weak spot.

Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus black
Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good phone but let down by poor camera, 19 July 2014

The only disappointment for me is the camera. I've used many samsung cameras, Samsung camera-phones and Samsung tablet cameras (including the Galaxy Tab 3 8" which has the best tablet camera I've used) over the years and all have been superb, greatly exceeding expectations. Sadly this doesn't apply to this camera where unless photos are taken in bright daylight they tend to appear muddy and although the video records audio very clearly, the colour balance is poor and can change even within a single shot.

Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Samsung S7580 Galaxy Trend Plus UK Sim Free Smartphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good phone but let down by poor camera, 19 July 2014

The only disappointment for me is the camera. I've used many samsung cameras, Samsung camera-phones and Samsung tablet cameras (including the Galaxy Tab 3 8" which has the best tablet camera I've used) over the years and all have been superb, greatly exceeding expectations. Sadly this doesn't apply to this camera where unless photos are taken in bright daylight they tend to appear 'muddy' and although the video records audio very clearly, the colour balance is poor and can change even within a single shot.

If you're looking for a reliable and affordable touchscreen smartphone which performs well then don't hesitate but, if you regularly use the camera for anything other than snapshots or quality is important then look for an alternative because this is the phone's weak spot.

NEW SOFT GEL PHONE CASE FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY TREND PLUS GT S7580 S7582 S7560 S7562
Offered by Pixfab

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality case with side-grip panels making phone easier to hold, 18 July 2014
This is a good quality, thick gel case for the Samsung Trend Plus phone which it slips into snugly.

All functions are accessible and there are correctly positioned cut-outs for the headphone and charger sockets. It will help provide some protection for the phone if accidentally dropped although, thanks to the grip panels on the sides, it should be a lot harder to drop the phone with its cover on. Without it, the wholly-plastic phone is quite slippery and the cover makes it a lot easier to hold.

A good buy and I will probably buy a spare. Excellent service from the seller too.

Loctek® Ultrasonic Tape Measure Hand Held Laser Distance Meter Laser Pointer 18 Meters (Battery Not Included)
Offered by SuperDeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, accurate room measuring - perfect for house-hunting!, 16 July 2014
We're house-hunting which involves measuring rooms and outbuildings. For solo viewings it can be a fiddle to measure with a steel rule or keep unwinding tape measures and that's where this gem comes into its own.

I read the mixed reviews with some apprehension but ordered one anyway and have achieved highly accurate results with it. It couldn't be easier to use - simply, hold it against one wall, aim it to the distant wall and press 'measure'. I've set mine to default to metric but pressing the 'feet/meter' (sic) button converts to imperial. Because accuracy is important, I first measured the rooms at home and checked them with a tape. They matched to within a few millimetres and I put my trust in the laser measurer rather than my measuring with outstretched arms and holding the tape with my thumb. Memory functions can be used to calculate area and volume and the measure also gives temperature readings, although I'm not sure why a thermometer is needed and this isn't stated on the box!

With its plastic construction, I'm not convinced it would withstand a hard drop but I don't plan to do this and am very happy with my bargain purchase. It is also sold under different brand names such as 'Brainydeal' or a plain generic, but it's the same product.

Generic Waterproof Digital LCD Ultrasonic Sonic Distance Measuring Tape Measure Meter Area & Volume Calculator Laser Pointer
Offered by ebuyerdeal-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, accurate measuring device - perfect for house-hunters!, 16 July 2014

With its plastic construction, I'm not convinced it would withstand a hard drop but I don't plan to do this and am very happy with my bargain purchase. It is also sold under different brand names such as 'Brainydeal', 'Digiflex' etc or this unbranded plain generic, but it's the same product.

I would query the 'waterproof' description because there's no reference to this on the packaging of the one I received and I wouldn't use it in wet conditions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20