Profile for K-Roo > Reviews

Content by K-Roo
Top Reviewer Ranking: 41

K-Roo "K-Roo" (Wye Valley)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
[Cord-free Power Supply] Inateck® PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector, Expand Another Two USB 3.0 Ports - No Additional Power Connection Needed
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily upgrade a PC from USB2 to USB3, 30 Oct 2014
Having been spoiled by the faster speed of USB3 connections on my laptop, reverting to USB2 on my PC felt painfully slow, particularly when editing video files stored on an external hard drive used by both machines. So, when offered the opportunity to receive a free USB3 PCI card in exchange for a fair and unbiased review, this was an opportunity too good to miss.

The USB3 drive arrived within 24 hours, well packaged in a box and east-to-open blister pack containing both the drive and clear fitting instructions in real English. Having removed the back from my PC it was easy to simply slot the card smoothly into a spare slot, a job taking just a few minutes, replace the back of the unit and power-up the PC.

The card was recognised instantly on my 3 year old HP PC with no need to install any drivers and all that needed doing was to connect a USB3 lead and enjoy having 2 brand new USB3 ports on my PC for the first time.

The improved speed was noticed instantly. Ideally for video editing the files should be copied to the PC's own hard drive, particularly when using multi-track editing or the video preview tends to stutter making editing impossible. My PC hard drive hasn't sufficient space to do this so connecting an external hard drive via USB3 is the easy solution. The faster speed is also very obvious when copying files to/from different drives, making and restoring backups or indeed any data transfer or reading from drives via USB3.

For anyone with a PC without USB3 or wishing to upgrade existing USB2 ports to USB3, this card works perfectly and I don't think you'll have any regrets. A recommended purchase.

QUMOX Protable Power Bank 3000Mah small cup mount battery Charger White for Tablets Cell Phones iPad 4 3 2 1, iPad Mini Android Tablet Google Nexus 7 Nexus 10 / iPhone 5 5c 5s 4s 4 Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Nexus Blackberry Z10 Sony Xperia Z Most Smartphone
Offered by Sunwood-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars High capacity power pack to recharge USB gadgets without access to a mains or USB charger, 30 Oct 2014
Length:: 3:28 Mins

I ordered this Qumox powerbank to provide a reliable power source for charging my phone, tablet and other USB devices and gadgets when away from a power source.

It is a small unit, lightweight, feels solid, has a good quality build and is highly portable - small and light enough to fit in a pocket. An interesting feature is the row of rubber suckers on the reverse which enable it to be stuck to a variety or plastic, metal or similar surfaces or it will adhere to a desk ensuring it can't be easily knocked off.

Charging the unit is easy - simply attach it to a mains-powered USB charger or a USB port on a computer and when all 4 blue LEDs are illuminated, it is fully charged. It can then be used to charge any USB gadget including phone (any brand which charges via USB), camera, camera batteries, mp3 player, tablet, Bluetooth gadgets etc. For convenience a number of adapters are included to enable charging via micro-USB, mini-USB, Apple products plus one connector I can't identify. Simply connect the supplied lead to the USB output socket, switch it on and it will then charge the gadget - easy! With a generous 3000mAh / 11.1W/h capacity, this should provide about 3 full charges for a typical small smartphone.

I've been using mine for 3 weeks during which time it has proven reliable and an item I'm beginning to depend on as a powerpack when travelling.

A good buy.

Inateck Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter Nano USB 2.0 Wireless Bluetooth Dongle with LED | High Signal Strength | Compatible Windows XP / Vista / 7/8 / 8.1 | Support Bluetooth Stereo, EDR & APT-X
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant – very simply adds full Bluetooth functionality to a PC, laptop or netbook, 30 Oct 2014
I ordered this Inateck Bluetooth device to add Bluetooth to my laptop. Years ago, I once tried to add Bluetooth to an earlier PC via a Belkin dongle but the whole process with manual setting-up became too fiddly and eventually I gave up – and I am not even a novice! This experience couldn’t have been more different: installation was so easy – simply plug in the device then install the driver from the enclosed CD. I then enabled Bluetooth on my phone and tablet without needing to do anything further to my laptop (not even browse for a program to manually enable Bluetooth) and the laptop was found instantly.

It has added full Bluetooth functionality to my laptop so now all gadgets – ie phone, tablet, mp3 player and laptop can communicate with each other. In this case, there is no need for any user-input other than inserting the dongle and CD so it’s quick and easy and takes only about 3 minutes. Having struggled with the Belkin model years ago, I was anticipating a few difficulties or to at least have to enter some settings but no, nothing at all was needed.

My laptop is now fully Bluetooth-enabled and next I will be adding it to my aged PC. With all my other gadget Bluetooth-enabled from purchase, I’d missed being able to share files etc between these and my laptop and had been copying to SD-card to transfer. Now everything is working seamlessly together with files transferred without having to use external memory cards, I can stream music between my phone and laptop speakers, enjoy hands-free audio, backup/sync and restore contacts, print to a Bluetooth printer and, thanks to the list of features on the installation screen, I’ve discovered I can even use my smartphone as a web camera – something I hadn’t actually thought of so thank you to Inateck for the idea!

Battery Operated Waterproof Fairy Lights with 10M 100 White LEDs
Battery Operated Waterproof Fairy Lights with 10M 100 White LEDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality indoor/outdoor fairy lights, 28 Oct 2014
Length:: 3:40 Mins

I have several sets of these Koopower LED lights and have been very impressed with them. They are a good quality, well-made, look as though they will last and they perform reliably exactly as promised.

It can be hard to choose between white and warm white so I have demonstrated both in the video. The white lamps produce a bright, white light which is good for illumination, eg in a shed, along a pathway while the warm white produce a pale yellow glow offering perhaps more of a decorative effect rather than being used as a lighting source. Either or both could be used for decorative purposes - on a Christmas tree, around a fireplace, to emphasise a feature in a room, drape over a canopy, at a wedding.... the possibilities are limited only by the imagination. I've used them for decoration, for illuminating our bunny house and a field shelter, neither of which have a power supply so the lights were an easy solution.

Having tested the two colours side by side for this video demonstration, I liked the effect and will now start using both the white and warm white together in combination when used for decoration. With two sets of lamps running alongside, they can be set to flash either together or apart to give a different effect.

Running on rechargeable AA batteries, 3 per set, the lights are economical to use and can easily run for a few days on a single set depending on their power. If you're looking for lights to be used permanently, then the mains version might be more suitable.

The battery box is their potential weakness and although said to be sufficiently weatherproof to cope with rain/spray, I would be cautious and either leave this indoors, under shelter or, if used outdoors, then take additional precautions and place it in a bag or waterproof box for extra protection. I have had no leaks when used in rain during my tests but months of prolonged heavy rain during a typical British winter could be a challenge the box might not meet.

Having used these lamps for more than a month, I would have no hesitation in recommending them as reliable and offering exceptional value for money.

Battery Operated Waterproof Fairy Lights with 10M 100 Warm White LEDs
Battery Operated Waterproof Fairy Lights with 10M 100 Warm White LEDs
Offered by Golden Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality fairy lights for decoration or gentle illumination, 28 Oct 2014
Length:: 3:40 Mins

KooPower 10M 100 LEDs Christmas Party Garden LED String Fairy Lights White
KooPower 10M 100 LEDs Christmas Party Garden LED String Fairy Lights White
Offered by Golden Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly versatile and well-made bright, white 'fairy' lights, 27 Oct 2014
So far, I've been using mostly Koopower's outdoor lights both indoors and out and been delighted with both their quality and performance so when I saw a set of mains-operated lights now available, I couldn't resist temptation!

This pack includes a 12-metre string of 100 LED lights plus a 2m mains cable and mains plug for indoor use, although they are IP44-rated which means they could withstand a damp atmosphere or light spray, but not heavy rain.

As usual, the lamps feel well-made and well-assembled on a sturdy twisted cable which can be looped around hooks, tree branches or other fixtures within the home - even the branches of a large house-plant.

They produce a surprising amount of clean, clear, bright white light and could illuminate a feature of a room, a window, add sparkle to a Christmas tree or be used for special occasions or parties. I've even considered using them as a light source in my bunnies; house (and have a set of the battery-powered equivalents in our field shelter!).

There are 8 varied lighting patterns which can be changed at the touch of a button (eg always on, flashing, chase, fades, waves or they can run through a sequence). All of the LEDs worked - not a single dud LED, unlike the old Christmas tree fairy lights of my childhood where just one dead bulb would affect the entire string and have to be found via a slow and frustrating process of elimination but this doesn't apply to LEDs.

I can't find anything to fault, criticise or indeed deduct even half a star for from their 5 star rating and anything below these worthy five stars would be unfair. They're reliable lights, well made, perform exactly as promised and should last for years.

GMYLE(R) 25W 4-Port USB Desktop Fast Power Charger for iPhone 6, 5S, 5, 4S, 4 / iPad Air, Mini / Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, Note, Tab / HTC One M8 / LG G3, G2 / Nokia / Kindle Fire / Andriod Phone / Tablet / Windows Phone
Offered by Clever Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars 4-port USB charger - charge 4 USB gadgets together, 26 Oct 2014
I received my GMYLE fast multi-USB mains charger a few weeks ago and have been using it daily since.

It's a quality piece of kit and perfect for anyone needing to charge several items via UBS at once. The main unit feels chunky and substantial without being large, with non-sleep feet for use on a flat or smooth service. One 5v socket charges at 2amps and the remaining 3 charge at 1amp. It is compatible with all USB devices including mobile phones (all brands - not just iPhone/Pads!), tablets, MP3 and MP4 players, voice recorders, GPS units, mini bluetooth keyboard, E-readers including Kindles and I've also been using it to charge my camping torch for which I use the more powerful 2amp socket.

With its quality build, it has performed reliably and exactly as hoped and proved itself to be a most useful and valuable accessory I wouldn't be without. Good value for money too.

OxyLED CL10 Outdoor Solar Rechargeable Light Area Lantern
OxyLED CL10 Outdoor Solar Rechargeable Light Area Lantern
Offered by Thousand Shores

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly-good lamp, bright and white, practical and versatile, with some non-promoted features easily-missed, 25 Oct 2014
Initially, on opening the packing box for this torch, I felt disappointed. It looks like a plastic casing on an empty bottle with a hanger and solar panel on the top. My heart sank and my expectations were low. However I was gearing up for a camping weekend in cool weather with long dark evenings so this would put it to the test.

Well, what can I say... how wrong I was and never let first impressions count because this torch has performed splendidly.

I popped it into the window on the gloomy October morning before leaving, noticed the red charging lamp illuminate immediately then later in the evening topped it up with a charge via USB followed by a further charge via 12v while driving.

This lamp has been especially well-designed and there are some non-promoted features which are easily missed starting with its on/off/brightness switch which is luminous in dark conditions. Also, another easy-to-miss design touch is the orange top - while walking along the dark lanes late at night this made me visible to motorists not only due to its bright light but also where the orange top screws into the base, this produces a very visible orange band very visible to motorists rather like a high-vis orange stripe (see my uploaded photos). Instinct prompted me to stand the lamp on its clear base where it is slightly top heavy. However, inverting it to stand on the orange 'top' ensures it stands sturdily on my mini-table providing a versatile light to illuminate a van, tent, boat or small room and it's sufficiently powerful for comfortable reading. My guess is that the designers are keen campers or outdoorsy people who've taken the effort to actually use this lamp extensively rather than simply make it - because they seem to have thought of everything.

Throughout my trip, this little lamp (well, not so little actually at 20cm high overall, lamp section 13cm high) has provided a good level of illumination via its single LED in the lid with 2 settings - normal and bright. It's also a pleasant light to look at - not the harsh type which induces headaches and it can be hung in a tent, van, boat, shed, outbuilding - anywhere really to provide a good level of bright, white light comfortable for reading. When out walking in the dark it helped me find my way back to camp in pitch black then, once inside in my campervan it provides a gentle nightlight suitable for reading.

The 'normal' light level lasts for about 8 hours and the 'bright' for about 4 hours. Recharging is easy either by simply leaving the well-designed, sloping solar panel to face into daylight, including the dull October cloud during my tests, or it can be charged via USB from a laptop, 12v (car) socket with USB adapter or a mains/USB adapter taking about 8-10 hours according to the spec. I was using a mix of charging modes during the daytime ie mostly natural light but with 12v boosts and it didn't let me down during three evenings/nights of about 5-7 hours of use in a mix of normal and bright levels. My only (trivial) niggle is that I can't determine when the lamp is fully-charged because the charging lamp remains illuminated while plugged in and when facing into sunlight.

I feel so guilty for almost writing it off before using it. It has proven its worth as a very useful lamp for almost any indoor or outdoor use (in dry weather) and, based on both its practicality and performance, and as a seasoned-camper and outdoorsy-person who relies heavily on good lamps and torches, I recommend it highly. Good service from the seller too.

Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes
Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations - a very good machine for the money, 25 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although we already have the highly-regarded Panasonic breadmaker, I ordered this one as a smaller, less-bulky model for use 'between homes', as a spare and for use in my campervan. Yes, we like freshly-baked bread in this household!

Having had a number of breadmakers over the years, my first observation was its compact size, small footprint on our worktop, smooth shape and sturdy plastic body giving an impression of good design, good build and a quality feel to it. But, does it bake as well as the trusty Panasonic....?

I'll be the first to admit that my first loaf was a flop in every sense of the word but, in this case, the blame lies with me. I used it in our utility room/conservatory overlooking the fact this faces north and is a rather chilly room in cooler weather so I moved it into our kitchen which, although still facing north, benefits from greater air circulation, warmth from the cooker and is generally a warmer room. This made all the difference and loaves baked using white mix, granary mix plus a few home-made recipes of my own, were perfect - well mixed, well-risen and tasty. The crust control can be adjusted to suit your personal taste (and strength of teeth!) and if you like to add a few extras such as currants during the baking process, then this machine will allow you to do this by bleeping at the appropriate time in its baking program and then the lid is lifted and extras sprinkled in. There is no automatic currant/nut dispenser (unlike the Panasonic) so the user needs to be close to the machine at the right moment.

The timer can be set to have that perfect loaf baked overnight to wake the household with the delicious aroma of freshly-baked bread and can also turn its blade to baking cakes too.

A feature which I especially like is the ability to produce a perfect small loaf. Some machines are geared to families requiring larger loaves. In my case, I like to bake small loaves and this machine, unlike the Panasonic which is biased towards medium-large-larger loaves, can produce smaller sizes using just half a pack of standard bread mix.

The only disappointment was that no measuring jug was provided. These have been included with every other breadmaker I've used to date and I was caught unawares this time. As I opened this while away from home, it meant I couldn't use it immediately - so be warned and ensure you have a means of measuring water to be added if you're using a prepacked mix, or ingredients if using your own recipe.

Although the Panasonic machine still has the edge in terms of performance, providing this machine isn't used in a cold room (which the Panasonic would take in its stride) then it is a very good and worthy second best to the leading machine and it exceeded my expectations. It's also smaller, more compact, is nicely finished, produces cakes too and is only about a third of the price hence a very worthy investment particularly for couples or singles requiring smaller daily bread.

Braun PRT2000EU Age Precision Stick Digital Thermometer
Braun PRT2000EU Age Precision Stick Digital Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've ever used - easy to use, easy to read and wholly reliable, 24 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The purpose of using a body thermometer is simply to learn whether you have a high temperature or not - and this shows just that. Whereas other thermometers give a temperature reading leaving the user to then consult google, a medical book or phone a friend this illuminates in a bight pink shade as warning in addition to displaying a clear temperature reading. What's more, it can be set for young babies up to 3 months, young children up to 3 years old and children/adults who all have different body temperature ranges and reach fever point at a different stage.

Very easy to use under-arm, under the tongue or rectally, the thermometer bleeps once the temperature is recorded ensuring it isn't removed and read too soon. If the temperature is normal, then the backlight is green, yellow for slightly elevated and bright pink pink for high temperature. It couldn't be easier or clearer and is backed by a clear user guide.

The best I've ever used.