Profile for Samuel > Reviews

Content by Samuel

Samuel

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Car Recording Camera, Kool(TM) S3000I 3.5" TFT HD 1080P Rearview Mirror Black Box Car DVR Road Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Camera Camcorder with Double Cameras
Offered by c-est-bon

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what its supposed to do, and does it very well., 13 Jan. 2015
This product, the Kool S3000I dual camera black box is exactly that. It is a reasonably well built piece of kit. I ordered it just after Xmas 2014, and received it early in the new year. I've had a couple of weeks with it and I am very pleased with it.

In the box you get:
* a 3.5" TFT screen with a camera built into the back
* a separate second camera with a 5metre 3.5mm TRRS lead permanently affixed, and built into suction pad
* a 1.5 metre reverse trigger cable (single wire)
* a suction pad mount for the TFT screen/main camera
* 3 metre 12V car plug to USB mini B connector
* 1 metre USB A to USB mini B cable
* an AV cable to play directly from unit to a TV

Ok so first of all the packaging is quite good. Strangely there is a FCC + CE accreditation mark on the packaging, but not on the product itself.

The cameras/cables are well made and have a good weight/feeling to them. You won't be in a hurry to drop them, but they don't feel like they'll break at first drop.

The main unit (with front camera) has a microSD slot, a socket for the second camera, AV output port and mini USB socket. Screen quality is acceptable, but not amazing - poor resolution and contrast being bigger problems than screen size IMHO. The picture in picture mode works well and my 32gb memory card gets 11+ hours recording time with both cameras recording. The buttons click well and generally I'm satisfied with the response of the unit to user input. There is a built-in battery - and it is important to note that this battery is ONLY meant for clock and file saving. The manual states that the built-in rechargeable battery is NOT meant for use as the main power source. Consequently you will need to run it with power from the car.

Interesting features include the ability to record audio. This is surprisingly good and you can hear some speech and indicators clicking and switched on/off quite clearly. There is also a built in speaker, so playing the recordings on the unit (yes you can play back on the unit) will play the videos with audio. There is also the option to timestamp the videos if desired.

The unit's screen can be programmed to stay on indefinitely, or switch off after 30secs, 60secs. It will pop on once you shift into reverse (if you've connected the trigger wire), and stay on for the programmed time. There is no reversing grid, and the wide angle is deceptive - things are closer than they appear. The second camera has acceptable quality, and number plates can be read for cars up to 10m away in cloudy weather. There are no LEDs so nighttime its quite dark unless in a lit area.

Plugging the unit into a computer (with supplied USB cable) will give you the options to record video, act as a PC camera or other mode. This sounds like it could work as a rather fancy webcam on a PC. Whilst my mac recognises it, I couldn't get it to actually work... may work on Windows?

I'm no pro, but I installed the system myself, and it took the best part of 3 hours. This was in the new year, so quite cold - loads of tea breaks. The reverse trigger cable is rather short. On my focus estate, it barely reached the reverse light cable. You might need to solder on a wire to extend it. The video feed cable to the front unit is a 3.5mm TRRS cable 5 metres long, and it just survived on my estate. It might be necessary to extend it with a product such as StarTech 1m 3.5mm 4 Pole TRRS Male to Female Headset Extension Cable. I get power from the 3 metre 12V supplied, which I've clipped into a power port with switch I added specifically for this unit.

So far the unit has fared well. I've recorded about 3 hours of footage about 10 days and playback is straightforward on the unit and with VLC on my computer (quicktime complained about encoding).

Some people have commented about clock inaccuracy.... my unit seems fine so far (touch wood). There was a little problem with the suction of the rear camera mount - it kept slipping off the rear windshield, but cleaning the inside of the windshield with a moist microfibre cloth solved it. The camera has stayed mounted for the past week. The suction in the front mount seems very good. The mounts themselves are nicely rigid.

For me, it was a toss-up between this unit, the Kool S3000I and the BW® BWS3000L 3.5 Inch Display HD 720p Dual Cameras (Forward and Rearview) Car DVR Video Recorder with 120 Wide Degree. I'm happy with this and very impressed with what you get for your money.

Alienwork UBoot Automatic Watch Self-winding Multi-function Mechanical Stainless Steel orange black AH004.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service - watch is okay, 30 Oct. 2013
Ordered the watch and received it a week later (posted from Germany). While it was well packaged, the month and day hands had fallen off.

I contacted seller and they sent me a replacement (they responded within 2 hours of contact - great service) and said to keep defective product. I got the replacement item in another week. Well packaged, all looking fine.

However I took the watch to Timson to get the chain sized and it was quite a tricky job. I had to leave it in shop for 24hours. Links are quite unfriendly.

Also the defective watch worked for a bit and got jammed. Timsons quoted £30 to get it fixed.

Good service from the seller, and the watch looks nice, but I'd not quite recommend this particular watch.

==UPDATE==
One month later, and I'm upgrading my review. I've gone from a 3 star to a 5 star. This is because watch is great, once you look past the quirks. Keeps good time, and will tick for up to 72 hours after I've taken it off my wrist. It looks really good too.

Driving Test Success All Tests 2011 Edition (PC)
Driving Test Success All Tests 2011 Edition (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed 1st time, 30 Oct. 2013
Great item. I got very high scores in theory test. Then took about 20 hours of driving with an instructor, and passed practical first time. Good stuff! Very complete and helpful. Be prepared to devote some time to it though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 11:50 AM GMT

Hard Questions, Real Answers
Hard Questions, Real Answers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 30 Oct. 2013
Well written, WLC is a breath of fresh air. He jumps through many hoops to make his point, but in the end he makes it well. He concedes where he should, and presses where he can.

Great book, good answers.

The Interlinear Bible: Hebrew-Greek-English: Interlinear Bible v. 1
The Interlinear Bible: Hebrew-Greek-English: Interlinear Bible v. 1
by Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Oct. 2013
Small print, flimsy pages, but being in touch with original languages makes a difference. It redefined my interpretation of many texts and an overly dogmatic attitude to scripture.

Its a great buy!

7 Vital Steps To Receiving the Holy Spirit
7 Vital Steps To Receiving the Holy Spirit

1.0 out of 5 stars More questions than answers, 30 Oct. 2013
Unfortunately this book left me with more questions than answers. There are too many assumptions in the writing, and as a "step by step" guide it fails. Its also quite a short book

For example he suggests that you need to keep getting filled with the spirit ("Every Spirit-filled believer should be doing that every day in his private prayer life. Unless we are doing it, we are not keeping filled with the Spirit"). Its quite strange IMHO to hear that the Holy Spirit is a gift that needs daily top-up.

He also suggests that if all Christians were charged up before coming to church, the atmosphere would be charged at church. I call this dramatics/theatricals, and refer him to the Elijah and the still small voice.

K Haggin also suggests that you should bubble at first to receive the gift.... "Another way is by a fluttering of the lips."

All in all an OVERLY dogmatic book. I expected dogma but not this much....

Sony Car cassette adaptor
Sony Car cassette adaptor
Offered by Jeremiah Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Oct. 2013
Great sound, and its still working ater 18months. Very useful for using a phone/MP3 player in a car with a tape-deck.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 30 Oct. 2013
I use this with my iphone 5, and have used it for 18months now. It works well, but sometimes the suction is lost and you have to reset it.

Ford Fiesta/focus/mondeo/puma/Galaxy/Fusion/Ka/Cmax/smax replacement for the genuine AM/FM Aerial Mast Antenna Roof Screw in Type
Offered by RadioWorld

5.0 out of 5 stars Still working, 30 Oct. 2013
Bought this to replace a broken antenna and it just worked. Easy to fix, and its still firmly fixed 18months later!

M-Audio SP-2 | Universal Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Keyboards
M-Audio SP-2 | Universal Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Keyboards

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Oct. 2013
Nice pedal, nice response. Good tension. The polarity switch is an extra bonus! At that price, would totally recommend (I've more than 20 years experience with keyboards).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3