Profile for xrseyre > Reviews

Faith and Wisdom in Science
Faith and Wisdom in Science
by Tom McLeish

4.0 out of 5 stars Job and science: fascinating, 13 July 2014
Excellent, accessible book with illuminating and sometimes challenging insights in all three sections. My only quibble is that the three sections didn't mesh together perfectly.

I was tempted to title this "the peer reviewed trials of Job"...

The Evolution of Adam, What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins
The Evolution of Adam, What the Bible Does and Doesn't Say about Human Origins

4.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating and readable, 28 May 2014
First, I don't give five stars to anything which is less than exceptional, so this is a very good rating.

The book is very readable and well presented, introduces a variety of methods of interpretation, taking the view (which I agree) that a search for one layer of meaning only is a mistake. In the process, some ideas which were novel to me occur, and I like books which get me thinking in a new direction.

As a definitively liberal Christian, I did not find that Dr. Enns evangelical background was at all obtrusive, though more space was given to justifying the interpretational methods used than I needed.

The Atrocity Archives: Number 1 in The Laundry Files
The Atrocity Archives: Number 1 in The Laundry Files

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid start to an outstanding series, 8 Feb 2014
Mix equal parts of H.P. Lovecraft, Len Deighton, Jim Butcher and Neal Stephenson, stir vigorously and stand well back. Well, actually, dive right in and get carried along in a pacy, tense thriller with lots of humour.

The main problem was that as soon as I finished it I wanted more of the same; happily there are several more in the series already...

Four and a half stars - I only give five to absolute classics.

The Jennifer Morgue: Number 2 in The Laundry Files
The Jennifer Morgue: Number 2 in The Laundry Files

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fine sequel, 8 Feb 2014
Stross develops the ideas introduced in The Atrocity Archives. He takes a substrate of Lovecraft and applies liberal doses of Fleming with decorations in Butcher or Pratchett style to produce a tense, well-plotted and often hilarious thriller.

I don't rate things five star unless they're clearly going to be frequent re-reads; I came close to five stars here.

Border Lines: The Partition of Judaeo-Christianity (Divinations: Rereading Late Ancient Religion)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, provocative but difficult, 27 July 2013
Getting the bad out of the way quickly (which is why I didn't give it five stars) the writing is often difficult and there is some excessive repetition in making points.
However, this is a wonderfully detailed (and lavishly footnoted) scholarly analysis of a very credible path from one rather diverse Judaism to two much less diverse religions, and one which doesn't shirk confronting difficult texts by consigning them to "oh, this must not be original because it doesn't fit my thesis" but which assaults them head on and wins.
I recommend it to anyone not looking for a novice-level treatment.

Misquoting Jesus
Misquoting Jesus

5.0 out of 5 stars Approachably written scholarship, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Misquoting Jesus (Kindle Edition)
Not just a rehash of "the Orthodox Corruption of Scripture" in a more accessible form, this ranges much further and makes the processes of transmission of scripture transparent and the alterations wholly understandable.

A Rabbi Talks with Jesus
A Rabbi Talks with Jesus
by Jacob Neusner

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and thoughtful, 10 July 2013
Reb. Neusner gave me new perspectives on Jesus in a thoughtful and respectful way. Personally, I thought a little too respectful; there was, for instance, the opportunity to consider Jesus as prophet, not just as God incarnate.

The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus
The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus
by John Dominic Crossan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jun 2013
This book is the best example I've seen in the field of scholarship laid out clearly, step by step, admitting any possible counterarguments and arriving at inescapable conclusions. Readable, accessible, compelling.
I'd give it six stars if another were available.

The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith
The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith
by Marcus J. Borg

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart of Marcus Borg, 29 Jan 2013
Having read a few other books by the author, I've thought for years that he was a closet panentheist. He's not in the closet any more, he's loud and proud! This is an excellent justification of having a panentheist god-concept while being a committed Christian in the mainstream. I wish I'd read it 10 years ago; even more I wish he'd written it 40 years ago.

A Madness of Angels: A Matthew Swift Novel
A Madness of Angels: A Matthew Swift Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars As urban as it gets, 25 Jan 2013
Actually, I probably wanted about four and a half stars. It isn't *quite* Jim Butcher (yet - but neither was Butcher in "Storm Front"), but it's hugely promising, and I love the incorporation of all the elements of 21st century decaying cityscape into a quite different magic. I will never see a graffiti covered wall again without it having an entirely different meaning.

Page: 1 | 2