Profile for neil@ntipping.demon.co.uk > Reviews

Content by neil@ntipping....

neil@ntipping.demon.co.uk (Rugby, Warwickshire)

Conspiracies (Repairman Jack Novels)
Conspiracies (Repairman Jack Novels)
by F. Paul Wilson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Repairman Jack Getting Sloppy?, 11 Dec 2000
Now I do enjoy the continuing story of this Blue-Collar Superman and I was very happy to see the follow-up to Legacies. Even more so when it brings him into contact with Rasalom (aka Sal Roma)... the concept that all the worlds mysteries are part of one unification theory is inspired and I enjoyed the aggressive politics surrounding each theorists pet conspiracy. It was written as well as we have come to expect from Mr Wilson but there were one or two jarring notes on characterisation. Firstly, the inclusion of the "Blues Brothers" as agents of the forces of order was completely out of place with the rest of the subject matter. Secondly,(and there's no easy way to say this) Rasalom was a wimp. He seemed to develop levels of introspection and downright fear which belied his allegedly mighty powers and machiavellian thought processes - In all of the other books where he appears, he demonstrates the solid sense of purpose and total arrogance which befits such a complete git. Perhaps he just hadn't been well lately.... Thirdly and finally, Jack got his ass whipped by virtually the whole ensemble (I'm sure one of the room maids in his hotel might have let him get away with a small kicking but we weren't told about that) WAKE UP! this is Repairman Jack we're talking about here! OK so I'm not the author and he has earned the right to put anything he likes in his books but I don't have to like it. Anyway, grandstanding apart, I can still recommend this book because, as with all his others, it's difficult to put down once you pick it up. See what you think and while we're on the subject, try the new one (All the Rage).

All the Rage: A Repairman Jack Novel
All the Rage: A Repairman Jack Novel
by F. Paul Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a fan but........, 11 Dec 2000
OK! - I enjoyed the book and it satisfied the usual test of being difficult to put down (washing wasn't done, meals weren't eaten and personal hygiene suffered) but I can't get over the feeling that this one had been a bit rushed. There were the usual elements of originality here which are a hallmark of Mr Wilson's writing and,as usual, it was tautly written with a fast pace... BUT.. I reread the Tomb and the Keep recently and I saw substantial depth in the characterisations and story which just weren't present here. However, I love the way he blames pretty much all of lifes little ills and mysteries on Rasalom (aka Sal Roma in this one). Sorry, I can't give maximum points on this one but I can still recommend it to one and all.