Profile for fiscalstudent > Reviews

The Midnight Choir
The Midnight Choir
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars the irish george pelecanos, 2 Mar 2014
an absorbing novel that grips the reader from the beginning. gives a great insight into modern day ireland. some crime novels go past the surface and reflect the city where they are set. george pelecanos has done this for wahington dc to great affect and now we have an irish version.read it

The Art of Fielding
The Art of Fielding
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars the great american novel, 16 April 2013
I read somewhere that Chad spent 8 years writing this book and that comes through in the reading. The whole story comes together fantastically the characters have real depth and you really feel their highs and lows. Fantastic analysis of ambition

The New Street Photographer's Manifesto
The New Street Photographer's Manifesto
by Tanya Nagar
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a perfect introduction for a new photographer, 16 April 2013
Having fallen in love with photography through instagram I recently got my first camera that wasnt just for birthday snaps.
It is a standard Samsung digital camera point and shoot. I was keen to find a book which would allow me to take my photography to the next level. I spent an hour in the photography section of bookshop looking for a book that didn't get lost in very technical detail before I came across Tanyas book. Many other books remind me of textbooks in school whereas this is a lot more interesting process as Tanya teaches you through studying her own photos.

What I love about this book is the Tanyas motto "any camera, anywhere". OK so I don't have the best equipment, however my new camera is a lot better than my iphone which I have been using to date. I was looking for clear, simple advice how to make the most of it and this book was perfect.

If are new to photography/street photography buy this book, it is an excellent first step

Casio A164WA-1VES Men's Digital Bracelet Watch
Casio A164WA-1VES Men's Digital Bracelet Watch
Offered by K.K. Electronics
Price: 15.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cheap classic watch, 19 Jan 2013
Bought this as I had an expensive watch didn't want to wear everyday. This was one of the cheaper I could find but is actually really good!
Nice and simple durable and waterproof and looks better than many watches I've seen at higher prices. Perfect everyday watch

Diaries Volume One: Prelude to Power: 1
Diaries Volume One: Prelude to Power: 1
Price: 4.68

3.0 out of 5 stars an autobiography would of been a lot better, 20 Oct 2012
Ac is an incredibly interesting character with a fantastic story to tell. Unfortunately the way he tells it spoils it for me. I get it, he's printed it the way he wrote it, as quite a shorthand quick account. But for me this format lacks real thought provoking elements and is frankly difficult to read.

It is good at getting across the sense of the always on pressure of politics and his personal life certainly suffers as a result. But there are only so many times you can read "GB and PM aren't getting on at all at the moment" before it becomes annoying.

Equally he seems to take for granted that the reader knows all the background to events

I enjoyed reading to get a sense of politics but I will not be reading volumes 2,3,4.

I hope he writes an autobiography because this is just written too poorly to really enjoy

The Making of the President 1960
The Making of the President 1960
Price: 4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 20 Oct 2012
Anyone interested In politics has got to read this book. describes the race in amazing detail. But what really stands out is the sheer quality of the writing, easily stands the test if time.

The Irish Times
The Irish Times
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, just too expensive, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Irish Times (Kindle Edition)
If you want to keep really up to date on ireland and read the time everyday this is great. I have no issue with the navigation or anything else. It is a fantastic read and works well on kindle. However I do not really feel the need to read Irish newspaper everyday and would much prefer if one of the Irish sundays was on kindle which would allow me to stay in touch for a fraction of this price.

In short, it's great to read but for me, too expensive

American Caesars: Lives of the US Presidents, from Franklin D. Roosevelt to George W. Bush
by Nigel Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic summary of 20th century presidents, 26 Jan 2011
Picked htis book up in the airport and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it had just the right amount of detail to keep it entertaining without being too vague. Takes a harsh but fair view of each presidents term. highlighting strenghts and weaknesses.

particularly like the way it is written. each president is split in 3 sections, journey to whitehouse, whitehouse, personal life. too often these kind of books get dragged down in personal life details