Profile for b.lops > Reviews

Content by b.lops

b.lops (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Amsterdam - Faux Leather Recliner Swivel Chair with Matching Footstool in Black
Offered by Oriental Leather Co Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars in the words of Goldilocks...just right., 8 Jun. 2012
I searched high and low for just the right recliner chair, I was tempted to go for the cheaper one (Malmo) but saw it in a shop and although comfortable it looked a bit cheap. Others I liked were quite expensive so I decided to go for somewhere in the middle and ordered this one. On the same day as I placed the order the company phoned me to arrange delivery two days later. They then rang again on the delivery day to say what time it would be delivered. Brilliant service I have to say. As soon as I opened the box and saw the quality of the 'leather' I was more than happy, really soft and natural. With some trepidation I began assembly but it was relatively easy, I only needed help with the final bit as it's a two handed job. I am thrilled to bits, its comfortable and not only looks great but also looks far more expensive than it actually was.

How To Train Your Dragon: 7: How to Ride a Dragon's Storm
How To Train Your Dragon: 7: How to Ride a Dragon's Storm
by Cressida Cowell
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars It will go down a storm, 11 Feb. 2011
My son, my husband and myself are addicted to the Hiccup books. I would like to give David Tennant, Cressida Cowell and the genius who decided to do them in audio book format a medal. The stories have everything for younger (and in my case, older) readers; adventures, boundless imagination and laughter a plenty. This one is no exception. Hiccup falls into another adventure once again and I really don't want to spoil it by telling you about it. All the favourite characters are here again. Hiccup is the lovable but unlikely hero, his sidekick fish legs is a laugh a minute and toothless is the dragon every boy would want. I can't recommend these books, in any format, enough but please, please read them in order becasue they do follow on. My son stared reading them at 6 years old and now at 12 he still can't wait for the next one. David Tennant is such a talent and an inspired choice to narrate the books. Thank you.

Tropico 3 (Xbox 360)
Tropico 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Sims with attitude, 13 May 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tropico 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is a pretty good game if you like sims etc. Rule your own caribbean island with an iron fist or a kid glove, choose your allies, make a speech to appease the population, make a treaty and build your island how you want to. Beware there are rebels and protestors not to mention elections to contend with. Good fun .

1953 FA Cup Final Blackpool FC v Bolton Wanderers [DVD]
1953 FA Cup Final Blackpool FC v Bolton Wanderers [DVD]
Dvd ~ 1953 Fa Cup Final

5.0 out of 5 stars a gift, 10 May 2009
Purchased this as a present for my father. His words were 'you couldn't have bought anything better'. He watched it with a group of his pals and some beers, they all had the best time in years. Don't know what this says about what they've done since 1953 but they agreed that this was arguably the best FA cup final ever and definately how football should be played.

Kensuke's Kingdom
Kensuke's Kingdom
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for young boys, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Kensuke's Kingdom (Paperback)
Once again Michael Morpurgo doesn't disappoint. My 9 year old son loved it despite the need for a box of tissues (for me). There is alot more going on in this tale than at first meets the eye which draws you deeper and deeper into the main story and really identify with the characters. It makes the reader appreciate the error of stereotyping people and judging them on first appearances. Underneath we are all the same, we feel happy, sad, fearful etc and that's an important thing for us all to understand. A great book for kids.

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't keep this a secret, 31 Jan. 2009
A truly charming book, wonderfully written, moving and heart-warming with a spiritual core. The main character is Lily, a motherless teenager who has been brought up by her bitter, angry father. Lily's journey to find something or someone to answer the questions and fill the gap that her mother's death has left within her takes her to a mesmerizing, soulful place in the American south. The year is 1964 and the civil rights act has just been signed which adds more tension to the story and provides an inspired backdrop to Lily's journey. The desciptions are beautiful, I could smell the honey, hear the bees and feel the heat. The characters are full and August Boatwright in particular is one I wish I knew in real life. Lily's thoughts and her anguish are written so well I was reading through tears. This is a moving story but not maudlin or depressing one, it is uplifting, full of heart and inspiration. Just a little footnote, if you enjoyed reading this I recommend you read A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly too.

Jumper: Griffin's Story
Jumper: Griffin's Story
by Steven Gould

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 3 Sept. 2008
All in all I'm glad I borrowed this and didn't buy it. I read it on holiday and it's pretty good for a holiday read and a darn sight better than the novel Steven Gould wrote after the film. Griffin is a likeable character and you feel for him as a young orphan trying to establish a bond with someone and build a normal life but who is persecuted by an enemy he doesn't understand. This is the general gist of the story and it makes you wonder how a child can grow up sane having to live in fear of being discovered and having his attempts to love and be loved thwarted at every turn. My biggest gripe is the way the English characters speak, I don't think Steven Gould has ever set foot in England and some of the dialogue reads like a Carry On movie. The ending works but beckons a sequel.

The Accidental
The Accidental
by Ali Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars tedious, 21 July 2008
This review is from: The Accidental (Paperback)
Oh dear, I loved the idea of this book, it promised a thought provoking, interesting read and it turned out to be the opposite. It tries to be clever with an immediate but bizarre narrative which doesn't allow the characters to flesh out. Their thoughts just spill out haphazardly across the page and frequently lead the reader nowhere. It's like a butterfly flitting from one thought to the next and although I'm well aware that many of us have minds that work just that way it proves tedious to read someone else's. If I could write down every thought I had during the day would anyone want to read it? If the answer is yes then you may enjoy this book but I suspect the vast majority would answer no and this majority should steer clear.

Music for Chameleons: New Writing (Penguin Modern Classics)
Music for Chameleons: New Writing (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Truman Capote

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 20 July 2008
This is the best collection of short stories I've ever read and I urge everyone to give this a go even if you haven't read short stories before. The preface too is brilliant, Capote explains what it is to him to be a writer and I just wish some of todays 'bestselling writers' had read this before they put pen to paper. The short story of the title music for chameleons is wonderfully written, so descriptive and touching. Mojave too is stunning writing. The story Handcarved Coffins is based on a real life crime and although I understand what he was trying to do I have to say that personally it was my least favourite. Beautiful Child is about Marilyn and captures the complexity of her character and life so well.

The Life You Were Born to Live: Finding Your Life Purpose
The Life You Were Born to Live: Finding Your Life Purpose
by Dan Millman

5.0 out of 5 stars 33/6 perfectionist, 13 July 2008
I have to admit that Having read Dan Millman's peaceful warrior books I hesitated at the idea of finding your life purpose through the numbers of your birth date. Surely this has been done before with numerology??!!! So I worked out my own,read up and thought "wow that's me alright" & "how true" then " hmmm wonder if I'm just gullible?" so I tried it on family, friends and particularly those I don't know so well and blow me down only 1 out of 18 people didn't agree with their description. The 17 who did agree were really surprised at how true it all seemed and a number of them decided to buy the book themselves. So there you go, me and 17 of my family and friends think it's brilliant, a way to cut through the junk in your head, see the best you can be and leave the worst behind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5