Profile for Joanna Ball > Reviews

Content by Joanna Ball

Joanna Ball (New Zealand)

Grown-up Glamour
Grown-up Glamour
by Caroline Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a glamour guide for olderwomen that's fun!, 10 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Grown-up Glamour (Hardcover)
I was soooo happy to get this as I loved How To Be Adored. As a 40+ woman I have really hated style guides written for my age group - they either fall into the category of spending loads of money on anti-wrinkle cream, botox etc or are new age type things that try and get me in touch with my spirituality. This is glamorous, has tips from gorgeous older women and style icons from Marlene Diterich, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn through to Sharon Stone, Cate Winslet and Catherine Zeta-Jones. There's is loads of advice - the chapters on hair and make-up are really useful and I loved the clever travel stuff - how to do a city in the manner of particular stars Madrid like Ava Gardner, Los Angeles like Kim Novak giving the names and addresses of the old Hollywood bars and venues. Truly inpirational!

How to be Adored
How to be Adored
by Caroline Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: How to be Adored (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I have bought style guides before but they have left me feeling a bit inadequate. This one is really funny, absolutely full of tips and loads of hilarious anecdotes about past and present stars. It's a proper read by someone who has done loads of research and speaks to every woman not just a few. I loved 'Don't Look Like a Celebrity: Look Like a Star!' with advice such as 'Never date a footballer. They may be as rich as Croesus but they will make you look cheap' and quotes such as Cher's, 'The trouble with women is that they get all excited about nothing - and then marry him.' Lots of etiquette advice - and the fashion advice based on Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren and Kylie Minogue is excellent.