Profile for C. Keller > Reviews

Content by C. Keller

C. Keller "Samantha" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Entry Island
Entry Island

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book this year - make it this one, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Entry Island (Kindle Edition)
This stunning book is part detective story, part historical novel, and totally absorbing. Peter May's descriptive narrative is second to none and he uses it to great advantage both in describing the atmospheric remote Canadian Islands where the novel is set and the Hebrides during the Highland clearances.
The book follows the fortunes of Sime, a Canadian detective sent to Entry Island to investigate a murder. It soon becomes apparent that both he and the murder suspect are linked by their ancestors. Sime remembers the diaries of his ancestor being read to him by his Grandmother and through further examination of the diaries the story of his ancestor and the terrible clearances unfold and twine around the modern day story.
A truly haunting and beautifully written novel which I shall read again and again.

The Case of the Hermit's Guest Bedroom (Dumfries Detective 3)
The Case of the Hermit's Guest Bedroom (Dumfries Detective 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 28 Nov 2013
I have read all three of this trilogy. I found them very entertaining and the characters, especially the "hero" very likeable.
Some of the plotting was a little loose, but this didn't seem to matter. The central "baddie", the tramp, was quite scary and I genuinely didn't work it out until quite near the end. Non-Scottish readers might benefit from a glossary "jelly piece" = jam sandwich etc - only joking as I loved the very Scottish nature of this engaging novel.
Shame it's a trilogy as I would certainly read more.

Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace 9)
Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 13 Oct 2013
I have loved all the Roy Grace novels but this one I really couldn't put down. The joy of this book is the multiple story lines and woven together skillfully and seamlessly by Peter James. I can't wait for the next one!

Miracle
Miracle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and original story, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Miracle (Kindle Edition)
Superb debut novel from Phillipa Vincent-Connolly.

Aimed at the teen market it deals with disability through the eyes of a young girl. This is a book with a strong message about how we view people with disabilities. Sensitively handled, the author does not allow the message to overtake the story. I look forward to more titles from this promising author

Chinese Whispers: 6 (The China Thrillers)
Chinese Whispers: 6 (The China Thrillers)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to the China Series, 30 July 2013
Peter May saved the best for last with this gripping tale. I was glad to find that the characters had returned to China as I think the very authentic Chinese setting is part of the charm of this excellent series.

Only thing is what finally happens to Li and Margaret? We are left guessing!

The Detective's Daughter
The Detective's Daughter

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought it would be, 30 July 2013
This book grew on me as it went along.

At first I found the central character very irritating and the writing a little stiff. However the story develops and then there is the enigmatic and eventually charismatic Jack . The story and the characters drew me in and in the end I couldn't put it down.

Cut Short (BOOK 1 in DI Geraldine Steel Series)
Cut Short (BOOK 1 in DI Geraldine Steel Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good read, 30 July 2013
This is quite a good story - I just found the characters and the plot a little predictable. There are lots of places when it's really tempting to skip a few paragraphs and get to the point.

The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels Book 11)
The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne Novels Book 11)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to get Thorne back!, 15 Jun 2013
For anyone who has taken a shine to Mark Billingham's central character Tom Thorne this book has come as a welcome addition to the bookshelf.
Having Thorne in uniform has given the character a different aspect which is interesting. Although I love Tom Thorne, the later novels have lost some of the ingenuity of the earlier ones like "Scaredy Cat" and Lazy Bones". This ingenuity was present in the previous book "Rush of Blood" where we get an intriguing little glimpse of Thorne and I only hope he returns to to finish this story off!

The Firemaker: 1 (The China Thrillers)
The Firemaker: 1 (The China Thrillers)

4.0 out of 5 stars First book in a promising series from Peter May, 24 Dec 2012
I decided to read this series of China thrillers after completing the excellent Lewis trilogy.

As always Peter May gives an fascinating insight into a little known culture. His descriptive narrative is excellent and we get a vivid portrait of life in modern China.

The plot is interesting and complex. The main characters Li and Margaret are well drawn and likeable, although I found the romantic web of misunderstanding a little tedious.

Aside from the above it in an excellent and unusual read for any lover of crime thrillers and I will be reading the rest of the series.

Playtex Cross Your Heart Womens Bra 4771 White - 40C
Playtex Cross Your Heart Womens Bra 4771 White - 40C

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfort bra, 16 Nov 2012
If you want a bra that provides good support at the same time as being supremely comfortable then this is the bra for you.
Well made and reasonably priced - I will definitely buy again.
Just one little thing - watch out if you are wearing with a scoop neck as the front of the bra is quite high - but for day to day under jumpers etc it is perfect!

Page: 1 | 2