Profile for Jim F > Reviews

Content by Jim F

Jim F (Lincolnshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
7dayshop Mini Tripod / Bendy Wirepod / Table top Tripod / Travellers Tripod - Fits 99% of all Compact Cameras, Camcorders, Bridge Cameras and DSLR and Including Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus and Fujifilm etc.
Offered by 7dayshop Limited

Kingston 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD Flash Card SDC10/16GBSP
Kingston 16 GB Class 10 MicroSD Flash Card SDC10/16GBSP

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 16 Aug. 2014
I bought two. Working well in a Raspberry Pi B+. Good value, but I had to buy an adapter to write to the card in my laptop. Still, I will only ever need the one adapter for them.

Tiger Collapsible Folding Keyboard Stand
Tiger Collapsible Folding Keyboard Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Keyboard Stand, 1 Jun. 2014
It is a sturdy enough support for my 49-key keyboard and just the right dimensions. I am pleased with my purchase.

Verbatim 98243 MediaShare Wireless
Verbatim 98243 MediaShare Wireless

5.0 out of 5 stars MediaShare Wireless, 1 Jun. 2014
This is a lovely little product which gives you lots of the advantages of a wireless file server for a very low cost. With its free iPad app it is easy to configure the device and to access and move files on a SD card or USB device (including disk drives), though I prefer using a paid app called FileBrowser to access the files.
You get a manual for mobile devices, but I didn't see any docs for Mac/PCs. In fact it creates a Windows (smb) Share containing its filesystem, which means all the files on your SD card and USB stick can be easily accessed from "traditional" computers.
Through the smb share I also use MediaShare with my XBMC media centre software on both Mac and Raspberry Pi.
Things I found out: (1) use the app to set a password for access to the share, by default it is blank; (2) if you have the wireless bridge option set up, you can access the device from a trad computer through its own network address (10.10.10.254) or through its address on your main router (which you can find out from your router set-up page); (3) don't leave a USB device connected when the MediaShare is switched off - it will continue to use power and drain the battery.
I've been using this for a week now, mainly for accessing music and photos. Possibly it may have a few limitations in terms of multiple connections or range, but for the money it's a fantastic little device that I would highly recommend.

Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear Canal Headphones - White
Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear Canal Headphones - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser In-Ear canal Headphones, 19 Mar. 2014
I have owned other Sennheiser products for use with iPod/iPhone and needed some new earphones for the gym. These are light and comfortable (with a choice of 3 sizes of in-ear foam) and produce clear good quality sound.

iMobi Accessories Doro PhoneEasy 612 Red Premium Leather Pull Tab Case Cover Pouch (M)
Offered by iMobi Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, smart phone case, 19 Mar. 2014
Effective, good looking and good value case for the Doro 612. The pull tab is a simple idea but works well.

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

5.0 out of 5 stars Just My Type (of book), 19 Mar. 2014
Delightful - well written, informative and entertaining for anyone who uses typefaces (or fonts?) to produce graphics, web pages or print material. Reminded me of my youth too - the John Bull printing set, the Letraset... If you liked them you'll certainly love Simon Garfield's book. The Kindle version does a fairly good job of reproducing the many examples and illustrations of different typefaces.

Sugru Multi-Colour (Pack of 8)
Sugru Multi-Colour (Pack of 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of uses, 21 Oct. 2013
It lives up to the clever marketing. In the average household it has so many uses for repairing and enhancing things. It has done a good job on everything I have tried for so far. A bit on the expensive side but you will probably think it worth the money.

PowerPlanet NP-40 Fujifilm High Capacity Compatible 2 Year Digital Camera Battery for Fujifilm FinePix F402, F455, F460, F470, F480, F485, F610, F650, F700, F710, F810 / FinePix J50 / FinePix V10 / FinePix Z1, Z2, Z3, Z5fd
Offered by PowerPlanet UK - typ. 5-7 working days

4.0 out of 5 stars NP-40 replacement battery, 21 Oct. 2013
Have had this a while now. It is still retaining power well and appears to be an excellent low-cost replacement for the original.

Rii Mini RT-MWK01+ 2.4GHz Wireless Entertainment Keyboard (with Touchpad, Laser pointer, Backlit) for PC, Pad, Andriod TV Box, Google TV Box, Xbox360, Raspberry PI, PS3 & HTPC/IPTV, UK Layout (Black)
Offered by Digital.Camz

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Raspberry Pi, 26 Jun. 2013
An excellent six-inch mini keyboard and trackpad for the Raspberry Pi!
The suitably mini user manual modestly says the product is "wonderful" and for once I agree! Trackpad and keyboard worked immediately with Raspbian and - slightly to my surprise - with xbmc (Openelec), although since I have already got the xbmc keys configured for a cheap infrared device, I don't currently have shortcuts working.
The typing experience is as good as you could expect in something of this size and price and the trackpad mouse is pretty responsive. There is even a switch so you can change the trackpad orientation 90 degrees to hold the unit pointing like remote.
Just for fun I also tried the Rii with my two Macs and it worked with them as well, though I haven't yet got the Win key to be recognised as the Mac command key.
I bought mine from Hausbell here on Amazon, who were amazingly quick even with standard delivery.

Page: 1 | 2